JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've always loved weapons, and I love blades as well as firearms. That, coupled with my parents starting to train me with guns at the age of four pretty well set my path in our hobby. I also blame my Scots blood!:D

Sure, Jim, situational awareness and defensive driving have proven to be supremely important for protecting my family and myself while behind the wheel. That includes avoiding road rage clown cars, as well as maintaining reflex reactions to vehicles on a collision course.

I just renewed my experience last week, when some cholo decided to yank his car over into my lane without even the pretense of glancing over first. It was thumb down on the horn button during an elbows-out max-g turn toward the curb, while applying the brake just to the threshold of triggering the ABS. It worked out - but he was mad at me!

IMO, I have a much greater likelihood of needing my "enhanced" driving skills than my CCW for defensive purposes.

I know this will sound odd, but over all I don't like guns. :rolleyes:
But I do like tools and I do like pieces of art. And I see the guns as both.
As a tool, the gun can be used as a defensive or offensive weapon, although I am used to the defensive part. And as a tool, the gun is very good at what it was designed for. (yes, I know not all guns are equal... this is a very general statement) Some people use it to put food on their table, I don't myself, but it is another function of the tool. I like tools that are actually functional and used as intended.
As a piece of art, some guns are absolutely beautiful, in their design and engineering.
Just imagine the first designs of the semi-auto, what imagination and ingenuity those designers had.
Granted, there are some pretty fugly designs, but then there are also fugly statues and paintings that you would not catch me looking at.
I do enjoy shooting, however, there never seems to be the time

I know this is a unique perspective, but honestly I don't 'like' guns that much. (wait, please don't kick me out! HA! :eek:)

To me, my gun is just a tool. (Okay, it's a pretty little tool...;) )It will be useful in the event I ever need it, (hoping I never do) but other than that, I wouldn't call it a 'passion', just an 'interest' in the sense that I need to know how to handle it safely and use it effectively should I ever be in a circumstance where I needed it.
That's not to say I didn't enjoy the research I did before deciding on my 'perfect' EDC, and I really like target shooting (I'm darn good at it, too :cool: ) even though I know it's not the same as combat shooting, and may not really help me as much as defensive training will. I am continuously searching for new training opportunities.

I do, however, have an intense passion for passing along what I have learned about firearm safety to other ladies who may be interested in purchasing or are considering a firearm for self defense. I was too shaken at my unconscious incompetence to not realize that every other women without firearms in their history is also in the same boat. Every ND story I see in the news further fuels my passion to share firearm safety. I am a firm believer that this is imperative knowledge for all gun owners, as negligence with this 'tool' can destroy a life, land you in prison, or bankrupt you. Probably not the details that were considered during the purchase processs...

Don't hate me now, okay? ;)

to me,, guns are just tools, for self defense, harvesting food. just like a post hole shovel is a tool, but that being said, i dont belong to a post hole shovel forum…. Heeeeeeee.o_O

Sure, Jim, situational awareness and defensive driving have proven to be supremely important for protecting my family and myself while behind the wheel. That includes avoiding road rage clown cars, as well as maintaining reflex reactions to vehicles on a collision course.

I just renewed my experience last week, when some cholo decided to yank his car over into my lane without even the pretense of glancing over first. It was thumb down on the horn button during an elbows-out max-g turn toward the curb, while applying the brake just to the threshold of triggering the ABS. It worked out - but he was mad at me!

IMO, I have a much greater likelihood of needing my "enhanced" driving skills than my CCW for defensive purposes.

:DSo how does that work driving through the shopping mall?

:DSo how does that work driving through the shopping mall?
blues-brothers-o.gif

View attachment 111595

Don't tell me you're an Illinois Nazi! lol

Hmm, i'm honestly surprised by some of the "don't like guns" responses.

That's not to say i have any problem with it, but it just made me stop and think for a moment.

For myself, i love the engineering, mechanical operation and design of them. From having to sit and watch them from afar for over twenty years before i got to 'play' with them myself, i think it was all i had.

I posted something just recently about loving to take apart/clean them *almost* as much as i like firing them. Whilst i understand that they can be used as 'tools of the trade/defense' i also never came to them in that way, so i can take or leave that part.

Honestly, just sitting them watching the gun operate/fire is entertaining for me, if only for a short while, but i also like firing them at targets as well, not sure on the exact reason why, but i guess it feels a little skill based?

Anyone can pull a trigger, but making it do something useful/specific requires care/skill.

As others have stated, I like (appreciate and am amazed) at the engineering, their mechanicalness, how they can be manufactured, and the fact that they are interactive. Much the same way I appreciate any tool, watch, etc. Stuff that has parts that work well together just fascinates me. But, it has to be quality, a poorly made anything just bugs me.

Mike

No other object will fit in my pocket(or tactical purse) and guarantee my freedom.
Knowing that each firearm tells a different story. The history is amazing. From the flintlock passed down since the Revolutionary War from father to son. To the brand new shotgun a farmer bought to protect his fields from vermin. The Mauser brought back from WW2 in a attic waiting to be found. The pistol in a mothers purse in Chicago, there to protect her because she works two jobs and has to walk home late at night thru a horrible part of town. The stories are innumerable. I like guns because they are freedom!
Its also cool that they go Bang!:D

I love the precision with which they are designed and built. I am fascinated by the ability to place a projectile into a circle the size of a dinner plate from 500 yards or more away. I consider them objects of art.

I also love automobiles, power tools and a number of other mechanical items for the same reason.

I think for me it's a combination of both like and respect for guns. I am a history buff so the study of guns as a PART of history fascinates me. I mean lets face it - historically the US as a country is about guns. Right, wrong, good or bad they have been a part of our evolution since the first matchlock was carried ashore. I, myself have watched a certain evolutionary path of guns within my own lifetime and while I may agree or disagree with certain aspects it does not matter. What matters is guns will be with us until the end of time and and will always be liked and respected by some and hated and disdained by others. One of the best testaments about guns I have ever read is on the beginning of the series 'Tales of the Gun' (which I wish would be shown more) 'To understand the gun is to understand history"

Last Edited:
Hm, I was thinking that JustJim was imagining something more like this:

fat-guy-on-scooter.jpg

Ya I kinda picture you this way Chem only figured you would be wearing rubber gloves too. How many mpg you get out of your racer there lol

Does leave a real vision one your tactical driving. Lol lol:D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews