JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Because it's more sexy to spend $1000 on a flashy gun for the 'gram than it is to spend $100 on protection for your ears. It's all about the likes.

I use the best foam plugs I can find AND electronic muffs over those. Really learned the value of doubling up after buying a big .50

I even wear double ups when I'm shooting suppressed. Done way too much raw dog shooting in my early 20s to lose what I have left.

Comfort and/or laziness. A lot of people don't realize how inexpensive some of the electronic ear muffs have become in the last few years. I believe another factor is that wearing ear muffs with shooting glasses can become uncomfortable when wearing them for a long time, especially if you're not using gel cups and low profile frames.

I have 3 or 4 pairs of electronic ear muffs including Walker's, Howard Leight, and 3M Peltor Commtacs and they all have gel cups now. It makes them comfortable to wear for all day range trips.

I have worked for a long time in loud environment metal working shops, high-quality hearing protection does not need to cost much. I personally double up when shooting at the range with plugs and muffs. The only downside is it is harder if you want to converse with someone versus wearing an electronic noise cancelling set.
Once you get used to hearing very little noise while working, you appreciate it and always want it to be that way. I evolved to always using hearing protection at home while mowing the yard, using an electric saw, etc.

My question would be this. Why would any sane person pass up the opportunity to ruin their hearing in the funnest way possible?

Let's face it. Mellowing with age is much more easily accomplished when you can no longer hear the growing BS storm around you... and... for those that are married and plan on trying to make it to their 50th year anniversary and beyond... deafness is practically a prerequisite.

Just sayin..... "personal peace" comes at a price. :D

My question would be this. Why would any sane person pass up the opportunity to ruin their hearing in the funnest way possible?

Let's face it. Mellowing with age is much more easily accomplished when you can no longer hear the growing BS storm around you... and... for those that are married and plan on trying to make it to their 50th year anniversary and beyond... deafness is practically a prerequisite.

Just sayin..... "personal peace" comes at a price. :D
Losing any senses is horrible. My Dad lost most all his hearing and it lead to cognitive decline (which has been scientifically proven). He had the same attitude as you.

I never wear less than the max db reduction available and all guns sound the same when shooting.

When shooting I wear ear plugs rated NRR33 and muffs rated 30+. If anyone thinks this is uncomfortable, try out hearing aids for a while. My ears are already damaged, I don't care to lose any more hearing.

No indication of that in the post. But you may be right.
Yeah, it's hard to convey that in text. Some stuff I say totally sarcastically gets taken seriously. If someone gets huffy at me over something I said that was intentionally stupid I don't get mad, I chalk it up to the limitations of the medium. If they still want to take it wrong even after I explained that I meant it as a joke that is on them, not me.

Yeah, it's hard to convey that in text. Some stuff I say totally sarcastically gets taken seriously. If someone gets huffy at me over something I said that was intentionally stupid I don't get mad, I chalk it up to the limitations of the medium. If they still want to take it wrong even after I explained that I meant it as a joke that is on them, not me.

That's very well thought out, quite reasonable and even a little compassionate, but my way is much simpler to implement: Feck all of you aholes. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top