JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was looking to get some powder to stash away for the, ahem, upcoming shortage of everything and this CFE Pistol is/has been available at a good price. I'd be running it in .45acp and .38 special mainly, but may expand to .44 sp., any thing pretty much other than 9mm and .40 which I prefer HS-6 in. Though I see data for those also.

Experience please!

Thank You.

Mike

Supposed to be nearly identical to AutoComp. Fairly slow, lots of gas to work the comp on
a Open gun. I'm going to work up a load with it as a back-up to HS-6. Might have some chrono
data later today.

Thanks Bill! What took so long, hate this waiting game when I need info NOW! :D

Kinda funny you mention Auto Comp, I was just looking at that data on the Hodgdon site. Auto comp talks a lot about the "Race Gun" application and using "COMPensators", sounds kind of touchy, maybe? If I could score 8#-16#s of 231 I could sit back and watch the world go by without a care!

in case you want to try some in 9x19....I like it

this is a Hodgdon supplemental that got sent with a bunch of projo's I ordered a couple month ago....its the latest data

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I've loaded CFE in 9 and 10mm, and it's velocities are nearly identical to Autocomp

10mm
147gr coated 8.32gr 1,287 Autocomp
176gr coated 7.0gr 1,075 Autocomp
147gr coated 8.34gr 1,295 CFE Pistol
176gr coated 7.0gr 1,084 CFE Pistol

9mm
115 MG 5.3gr 1,036 Autocomp
115 MG 5.3gr 1,040 CFE Pistol

CFE doesn't produce top velocities in either cartridge (if that's the goal).

I've loaded CFE in 9 and 10mm, and it's velocities are nearly identical to Autocomp

10mm
147gr coated 8.32gr 1,287 Autocomp
176gr coated 7.0gr 1,075 Autocomp
147gr coated 8.34gr 1,295 CFE Pistol
176gr coated 7.0gr 1,084 CFE Pistol

9mm

your a bigger 10 freak than me .....and I got a Koolaid mustache , I love it

OK---tried some CFE Pistol in open gun loads.
YMMV---DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, PROFESSIONAL IDIOT ON CLOSED COURSE, ETC.:)

7.8 CFE, 115 Precision Delta, 1.175 OAL. 5" 2011 Open gun, KKM barrel, Bedell comp, no
barrel holes.

Averaged 1520 fps, for a power factor pf of 175. I didn't like the way the dot tracked, a
bit jittery.

Current go-to load for this gun and my wife's similar gun is 8.8 HS-6, everything
else the same. Runs 172 PF in hers, 174 PF in mine.

OK---tried some CFE Pistol in open gun loads.
YMMV---DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, PROFESSIONAL IDIOT ON CLOSED COURSE, ETC.:)

7.8 CFE, 115 Precision Delta, 1.175 OAL. 5" 2011 Open gun, KKM barrel, Bedell comp, no
barrel holes.

Averaged 1520 fps, for a power factor pf of 175. I didn't like the way the dot tracked, a
bit jittery.

Current go-to load for this gun and my wife's similar gun is 8.8 HS-6, everything
else the same. Runs 172 PF in hers, 174 PF in mine.

Whoa, WHOA, WHOA! I'm not into max velocities, just plinking, cleanliness and easy measuring. LOL Well, and if I got way more than I needed I could help the community and sell a few lbs.

I saw that it's been available and was inexpensive. I just think we're headed for another "Can't find" hand gun powder crisis and want to buff-up my supply.

Thanks guys. I guess I was probably looking for why I WOULDN'T like it.

Thanks Bill! What took so long, hate this waiting game when I need info NOW! :D

Kinda funny you mention Auto Comp, I was just looking at that data on the Hodgdon site. Auto comp talks a lot about the "Race Gun" application and using "COMPensators", sounds kind of touchy, maybe? If I could score 8#-16#s of 231 I could sit back and watch the world go by without a care!

In heavy 9mm and 40 bullets, at the chrono the standard deviation was on the high side. It was always one round of the 10 rounds test batch that threw it off.

9mm

Black powder.. real black powder will push a 115 to 1000 out of a 9mm at safe pressures.
Oh add, forgot the lol.

Last Edited:
I shoot it in 9mm, .357 and sometimes .38spcl.

Meters good, gives me nice reliable loads. Kind of wish I had more instead of that blasted Titegroup.

I shoot it in 9mm, .357 and sometimes .38spcl.

Meters good, gives me nice reliable loads. Kind of wish I had more instead of that blasted Titegroup.

So what's your issue with Titegroup? It may just be in my head but, Titegroup could be a little fast, has less range of weight to play with, easier to make a mistake? I used it in the beginning in 9mm and .40 but am hesitant now that I'm a little more experienced. If it was all I had, well, yeah I would us it.

@Mikej
I'm being a turd. It's more of a low charge volume. Especially on taller cases where it's hard to see the powder to verify. CFE is the same way.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top