JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
;);)Sitting here looking at engagement ring prices for my girlfriend and I'm thinking about building a time machine, going back in time to the person who made expensive diamond rings an "expected" thing, and putting my 16 years of select soccer experience to use kicking him square in the nads!

Good gracious, I know I'm not saying anything new here, I read an article that the average engagement ring in the US cost 5K, so basically most women want a ring that is more or the same price as night vision or thermal, or a very very expensive rifle, or several.... lol.

Just think about it, the thought process that goes on in the mind that says "I know I could make 2-3 extra house payments, pay for 1/4 of a brand new sedan, get thermal, night vision, or several guns, go on a two week vacation to Hawaii, but you know, I would rather just have a shiny rock that sits on my finger.

"It's supposed to represent the love you have for her"

Well babe, my love for you is endless, and they can't make a diamond that could ever begin to represent the amount of love I have for you, so I guess we can put that 5K toward something else now huh! ;)

This is mainly satire with a big grain of truth, she's totally worth it, actually this is round 2 for me, I was extremely thorough in my selection process this time and had a list of qualification a mile long that she had to possess naturally before dating long term.

But, I am starting a new tradition and expect all the single guys to follow suit, in addition to buying a ring, I also bought a lightweight AR set up that she's going to do competitions with, she loves going to the range with me. My "evil" plan is that eventually we men can just phase out the ring altogether and just buy engagement rifles from now on. :)

Funny thing is, diamonds are actually one of the more common gemstones, only so valuable because De Beers has locked up most of the world's supply and only trickles out a few at a time.

Pro Tip: Cubic Zirconia is optically and chemically the exact same thing, just that a CZ's had a little "help" rather than being completely naturally forged.

I have a friend who's a professional gemologist, stonecutter and -setter, so I've heard a few insider Dirty Little Secrets. :)

Pro Tip: Cubic Zirconia is optically and chemically the exact same thing, just that a CZ's had a little "help" rather than being completely naturally forged.
Problem though? She'll know!

But I'm so out of touch with iewelery and gemstones that I can't tell a ruby from a garnet. So I'd end up buying CZ thinking there's no difference. :rolleyes:

So the game is if you take the CZ route, make sure she's in on it first, toss something about "I want to buy you something beautiful but I want to spend wisely at the same time"--I got lucky in having a GF who's more practical-minded. :)

IMG_0262.JPG The trick is not to buy it from a jewelry store and most definitely not one that specializes in engagement and wedding stuff.

My wife has a 3/4 ct diamond solitaire ring I bought her as "promise" ring and a engagement ring with a 1 1/4 ct diamond center stone and six .20 ct side stones.

Bought them from a stone wholesaler who bought them for the rocks, $400 for the 3/4 ct, $1200 for the engagement ring which appraised at $12,000.

My wife always gets people who ask about her ring, It looks impressive (or I should say it looks like it should be $7500-$10,000)

Don't get hustled into paying jewelry store retail, Its about 500-1000% markup from wholesale stone prices. Find someone who deals in stones and see if you can buy her something nice for a reasonable price.

Last Edited:
You gotta have friends who are train wrecks that are constantly getting engaged and breaking it off. Good source of cheap rings, especially if you're a good "friend" and take to a jewler to see what they will give him for it. It will be next to nothing, and you will cheer him up by offering a little more. Both sides win.

;);)Sitting here looking at engagement ring prices for my girlfriend and I'm thinking about building a time machine, going back in time to the person who made expensive diamond rings an "expected" thing, and putting my 16 years of select soccer experience to use kicking him square in the nads!

Good gracious, I know I'm not saying anything new here, I read an article that the average engagement ring in the US cost 5K, so basically most women want a ring that is more or the same price as night vision or thermal, or a very very expensive rifle, or several.... lol.

Just think about it, the thought process that goes on in the mind that says "I know I could make 2-3 extra house payments, pay for 1/4 of a brand new sedan, get thermal, night vision, or several guns, go on a two week vacation to Hawaii, but you know, I would rather just have a shiny rock that sits on my finger.

"It's supposed to represent the love you have for her"

Well babe, my love for you is endless, and they can't make a diamond that could ever begin to represent the amount of love I have for you, so I guess we can put that 5K toward something else now huh! ;)

This is mainly satire with a big grain of truth, she's totally worth it, actually this is round 2 for me, I was extremely thorough in my selection process this time and had a list of qualification a mile long that she had to possess naturally before dating long term.

But, I am starting a new tradition and expect all the single guys to follow suit, in addition to buying a ring, I also bought a lightweight AR set up that she's going to do competitions with, she loves going to the range with me. My "evil" plan is that eventually we men can just phase out the ring altogether and just buy engagement rifles from now on. :)

Man, divorce is the norm now (unfortunately) and people sell those $5k rings for 1000-1200 all the time.

I'd recommend taking advantage of that. Just meet at a Fred Myers and their jewler will verify your not getting suckered for free.

Don't pay full price, I bought my wife an engagement ring at a pawn shop and we have been together from 17-40 and at this point will be together another 40-60 years. (We had it welded too my grandmothers wedding ring when we got married).

You gotta have friends who are train wrecks that are constantly getting engaged and breaking it off. Good source of cheap rings, especially if you're a good "friend" and take to a jewler to see what they will give him for it. It will be next to nothing, and you will cheer him up by offering a little more. Both sides win.
Lol that's a good idea but facts are once you give her that ring she doesn't have to give it back check out the pawn shops are full of deleted engagement 's lol

To some women the ring means a lot. Not talking about some materialistic gal pressing for all she can get, but a wife who will appreciate a husband going above and beyond.

That can be a problem when we are young and $8-12k is way out of reach. Later in life if finances are less of an issue, why not splurge on the wife? Afterall, would any of us be inclined to spend $20k on a F/A suppressed HK MP5 10mm or some such?

I spent a lot on my wife because I considered the above and I value her and wanted to go above and beyond.

Shopped around a lot many times and always find myself back at Shane Company....IMO, they have the best selection of rings and diamonds for each price range.

Best part is years later you can go back and get a larger rock and they will credit the original rock price when upgrading.

My $0.03

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class