JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And the chamber pressures for the .380 and .45 ACP are much lower too so you can filter out the pictures of those calibers. The 9mm chambers have little unsupported area and have a max pressure of 35,000. The .40S&W also has a max pressure of 35,000 but bulging doesn't happen because it wants to. It happens because it has to due to simple physics - there's nothing to support that area.

I use a Dillon case gauge for all my finished rounds, and the ones that don't drop in freely are the ones with the bulged cases, causing me to disassemble those rounds and either successfully resize the brass or toss it in the recycle bin.

another reason to love my 229!! I use remington bullets and unique powder with rcbs dies. currently I load 6 grains under a 180 grain MC bullet, CCI primers. Caught a deal on an rcbs master kit a few years ago, it works for me.

Thanks Deadshot.....So I'm thinking here, every one shoots GLOCK, If I'm getting range brass for reloading, my odds of getting buldged brass could run about 75/25.

I'm really flipping back and forth here, I definately want an all metal CZ. I want the most accurate. I would also consider another 9mm, depending on which one would/could be the most accurate. Now I've been looking at the history, dependability, price etc of the CZ75. Ability to load a hotter 9mm, which I'm aleady set up to do, or get into another caliber?
Decisions, decisions!

Mike

Thanks Deadshot.....So I'm thinking here, every one shoots GLOCK, If I'm getting range brass for reloading, my odds of getting buldged brass could run about 75/25.

I'm really flipping back and forth here, I definately want an all metal CZ. I want the most accurate. I would also consider another 9mm, depending on which one would/could be the most accurate. Now I've been looking at the history, dependability, price etc of the CZ75. Ability to load a hotter 9mm, which I'm aleady set up to do, or get into another caliber?
Decisions, decisions!

Mike

Just invest in a "Bulge Buster" die kit. Run the .40 S&W cases through the die and it will iron out the bulges nicely. Make sure to continually inspect all brass before loading for any signs of cracking in the head area. THAT's just a good practice regardless of what caliber you're loading.

The pictures are nice yet all they prove is that some firearms have MORE unsupported area than others. I measured the "unsupported" area in my Sig P-229 with stock, unmodified barrel and it measured .030" above the extractor groove. This is well within the web area of the case and unless the case is severely overloaded doesn't expand like it does in those firearms that have far greater unsupported areas.

The amount of bulge can also be affected by the amount of "delay" in the blowback action. Stiffer springs delay more allowing pressures to diminish before the case begins to extract.

Like it or not, or call it what you wish, the Glock's have a well earned reputation for bulging cases more than other common firearms.

I just measured my Glock 23 3rd gen, and it's .030. My cases don't bulge much and some not at all. I think some of it depends on the brand of case and the thickness of the web. We are talking hand loads and some guys load hot.

My Glock 19 is also .030. That's still room for some swelling in some guns, depending on case, load, spring pressure etc.

I think it's easy to forget that all guns can go kaboom, and that Glock has worked on this over the years.

Just invest in a "Bulge Buster" die kit. Run the .40 S&W cases through the die and it will iron out the bulges nicely. Make sure to continually inspect all brass before loading for any signs of cracking in the head area. THAT's just a good practice regardless of what caliber you're loading.

The Lee depriming/decapping die will run the carbide ring all the way to the bottom of the web, unlike many dies which get stopped by the shell holder.

Could you explain how this "ring" gets past the top of the shell holder and down to the extractor ring????

Deadshot, I don't have a lot of Lee dies but I must admit I like the ones I do have. My regular (pistol) resizing dies have a carbide ring which is a bit recessed into the die. My decapping die has the ring flush. That ring touches the shell holder and is at the bottom of the case web. It doesn't need to touch the extractor ring.

My Lee #19 holder isn't thick enough to block the case web. Almost, but not quite.

Does that make sense?

Absolutely!

I'm looking at my Lee 9mm sizing die and the shells that have beed sized, if the .40 die is the same it should/could take care of the bulge.

Mike

I believe the 3rd and 4th gen glocks have more case support then the first couple gens of glocks.

I like 180 gr bullets (jacketed and cheap lol) behind 3 grains of clays, makes for a really soft shooting load. It runs right at 715fps at 1.125 coal out of my glock g35, have not chronoed this out of my g23 so not sure what the shorter barrel would run this at. Clays is a very nice powder for shooting minor loads, not the best for making major PF.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top