Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Who reloads .40 S&W??

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Mikej, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Thinking of getting a .40, and reloading for it as they want around $19.00 a box for ammo.

Talk to me about favorite bullets, weights. JHP, RN ? Lead? Die brands pretty much the same? I'm using three different dies now for 9mm .38 and .45 and they all work fine.

Thanks for any input, if I get very little I'll know it's mostly the same as what I'm doing all ready.

One other thing, I'm looking seriuosly at a CZ P06, I like the fact it's all metal. So any other favs people have for .40 would help also.

Mike

2. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

OK. I bought my Smith M&P .40 in 08 and love it. Started off with commercial rounds then bought a Lee kit from Cabelas for $100 along with Lee dies. Started loading fmj rounds until a friend gave me a Lee 170 grain wad cutter mold and 60lbs of lead. I love casting and loading my own, I borrow a pot from a guy nearby. I use green dot, red dot but really like 700X for powder because it is cheap when on sale a bi-mart and you use less grains than with the other powders. If you do cast lead you must wear proper breathing protection or it will make you sick. Any more questions just give me a holler.

3. Mikej

I doubt I'll go so far as to cast my own lead, at this point anyway. Thanks for the input though.

Mike

4. rockstardrnkr

rockstardrnkr Vancouver Active Member

Ill be watching this thread quite a bit, I too am considering reloading .40, I recently picked up a Beretta 90 two, and so far have bought about 500 rounds of ammo, I also found about 250-300 spent .40 casing while shooting about 3 weeks ago.

Ill need to get a setup going of course but am considering about getting a couple more calibers to make it worth it.

5. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

I owned my pistol for 4 years before beginning to reload. Bought a great started set-up from a forum member and have loaded 5k+ rounds in .40 since then. It's incredibly easy, and a great money saver. NOT a time saver by any stretch. It's a detailed process that has to be overseen with attention to what you're doing at every step. That said though, it's very rewarding. I've gotten a load worked up specifically to my wife's liking and a couple to my own. The flexibility of being able to make it go bang the way you want is very fulfilling.

That huge diatribe over;

I prefer Unique, with 165gr TMJs out of my 3.5" S&W. I've tried a few powders and that one is great in my pistols. Blue Dot does the job in a very hot load too.

6. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

I have loaded the forty for about 10 years. I like useing RCBS carbine dies on the single stage press. I use 180gr JHP bullets ahead of Win 231. I have used other powders,but I like 231 the best (so far ). If I use the Dillon press then I use Dillon dies. Both work good for me.

7. NJG26Crux

NJG26Crux Redmond Member

8. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

montana gold 180 grain FMJ 7.6 gr of HS-6 works very well for me. OAL will depend on you chamber and how close you want to get to the rifling.
    Don't use my load before checking your loading manual(s). I can only say it works for me.

9. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

I am probably in excess of 8000 reloaded rounds through a Ruger, Glock, Beretta CX4, and Springfield XDM. I've used Titegroup, Bullseye, and most recently Win 231. I have used everything between a 135 to 180 grain bullet. I use plated bullets (Ranier) for practice and Hornady bullets for SD.

Call me crazy and this is contrary to conventional wisdom but I have reloaded some of my brass 20 times or better. For some they will consider this playing with fire since this is a "high pressure" cartridge. To each their own.

10. Mikej

Sounds like you've covered them all. I've got the press and powder and have done close to 1000 of each .45 and 9mm. So I have no worries about doing .40.

Interesting thing happened yesterday though. Wifey picked up a couple hundred rounds of factory .40 brass at the range yesterday, a mix of R-P and Blazer. She got it going in the tumbler after we got home. I got my first look at it after it was all clean it seems a lot of the brass is slightly buldged just in front of where the extractor grabs. You may have not even noticed it on dirty brass, but with a shine on it you can. I guess they were shooting glocks, doesn't every one? The primer strike point has a rectangle over the punchmark in the primer also. Seeing as I don't have a die set for .40 yet I won't know if what I'm seeing would be straightened out in the sizing/depriming.

If/when I get into this I wish there were somewhere in the area I could get 100 pack of lesser priced Speer or Seirra, rather than the pricier Hornady. Once I found something I liked I'd order on line for 500 or 1000. Well, Ill do what I need to.

Thanks for giving me things to think about guys.

Mike

11. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

I've read that a few pistols have a part of the chamber that isn't supported and can cause that bulge. I've sent a bunch of it through the dies and haven't had one blow up yet.

12. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

This is a characteristic of "Glocked" .40 S&W brass. It's caused by the design of the barrel that leaves a small area unsupported when fired. It is cured best by using one of the "Push Through" type dies from Lee and others. Some call them "Bulge Busters". The case is pushed up through a sizing die that irons out the bulge or "muffin top" that develops on these cases. Just sizing in a regular die usually won't reach this far down on the case and the push through dies are best. Lee does a good job and isn't expensive.

As for loading for .40 S&W the savings are there as free brass is plentiful and there are lots of bullet sources for good prices. If it were me I'd consider buying in quantity from places like Montana Gold. $320 gets you a case of 2500 180 gr FMJ's. That's less than $0.13 per bullet for a quality jacketed bullet. If you want you can also buy 1,000 pieces for $150 or $0.15/ bullet. Freight is included via USPS Flat Rate (I do this once per year and the "Mail Lady" gives me kind of a dirty look when two boxes totaling 94# are in her truck for delivery)

13. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

BS. I just posted this in another thread. All auto loading guns have an unsupported portion of the chamber. It's called the feed ramp. Without it, a round wouldn't load.

The case will get a slight bulge which the full length die will remove. To each his own as to how many times to move that metal before tossing the case. My number is 7 unless I see any hint of a crack. I know guys who go way beyond that but brass is cheap. This is also why I buy only once-fired LEO range pickup brass. I know it isn't worn out and I get matched head stamps meaning matched brass.

Take the cost of a piece of brass. Divide that by 7 and you'll know how much my brass costs per load. It's tiny.

How many times do we have to post this?

unsupportedchambers-1.jpg

14. dustoffmedic

dustoffmedic Willsonville Member

I also use montana gold and has worked real well ...and yes look at your manual...

15. Mikej

I don't know....I hadn't seen it before. Maybe we got lucky with this and I'm the last one that hadn't seen it.

Mike

16. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

Oh, I haven't seen that either.
    You just have to be careful. Just like shooting lead out of a glock. A friend casts and reloads for his glock 30 and has never had a problem.

17. Navvet

Navvet Lynden, WA Active Member

You might try RBSAMMO.com. They are a new company up here in Northern Washington. Their pistol ammo is TMJ and I shoot it all the time. I DO NOT WORK for the company, but I shoot almost every day and that is the only way I can afford to shoot as much as I do. They have a very good reputation in this area and they do not rape you on shipping charges. This being said I am setting up my own Dillon progressive loader but at the price of RBS stuff it is hard to beat.

18. Mikej

I definitely buy in bulk, though with something new it would be nice to find 100 packs 'till I find something that loads and shoots well that is also economic and easy to get in quantity.

So are there any other weight bullets recomended and why. "WHY' can be as simple I like the company, or they are the cheapest. If/when I buy bullets it would most likely be 500 at the least so I need to make sure I don't get something I end up not liking. May be a "Don't use" a certain bullet? Or "I didn't like ------- bullets because?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb.

Mike

19. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I also watch gunbroker.com. I bought 1500 (won auction for) loose Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124gr bullets about 6 months ago. Sorry I don't remember the exact price with shipping, but I recall thinking it was about 2/3 of what I'd normally pay. I also recall thinking it was in line with what I usually pay for good FMJ.

Now I'm on the hunt for some .40 SW defensive bullets in bulk. I do watch the seller, feedback, time on site, etc.

I also bought 2,000 55gr .224 Remington core lokt psp bullets and 2,000 once fired 5.56 LC brass (as a package) on gunbroker for just under $200 shipped (or close IIRC.) I traded 1/2 of them to John H in PDX, and we were both happy.

Edit. I just looked, and I paid $166 for the 2,000 .224 package shipped, and $174 for the 1500 gold dots. The .224 package bordered on theft, LOL.

20. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

The pictures are nice yet all they prove is that some firearms have MORE unsupported area than others. I measured the "unsupported" area in my Sig P-229 with stock, unmodified barrel and it measured .030" above the extractor groove. This is well within the web area of the case and unless the case is severely overloaded doesn't expand like it does in those firearms that have far greater unsupported areas.

The amount of bulge can also be affected by the amount of "delay" in the blowback action. Stiffer springs delay more allowing pressures to diminish before the case begins to extract.

Like it or not, or call it what you wish, the Glock's have a well earned reputation for bulging cases more than other common firearms.