JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got this in an email from my boss "we are looking for Sheet Metal workers, Service construction Techs and Hydronic PipeFitters as our workload is increasing."
Experienced People wanted. PM me for more details.
I will be in and out most of the weekend so I will try to get back to anyone this weekend some time.

I work in Telecom in high profile positions typically. My degree is in Mechanical Engineering but I cant even get a interview to deal with that since I obtained it.

I got laid off right at the beginning of the economic down fall in Aug 2008. Was out of work for 2 years. Then Dec 2010 took a job making 3x what I was initially making working from home. Life went from stressful to carefree. Then it all hit again. I am back to working for bare min in my career field in Telecom and I am the FNG instead of having any seniority. The only reason I got out of contracts at this time. Is my fiancee and I have 6 kids together and I cant afford insurance for us all without working.

I have learned a lot about the laws when it comes to bankruptcy, foreclosures, and debit collectors as I have not had it easy for a few years. If you go from having a job to not and are not getting interviews start preparing to eliminate all extras and seek out advice.

My company needs CDL Class A drivers like crazy. They are looking for Delivery and Line haul drivers. I got let go from my last employer in February 2011, and got hired at my current job in April 2011. I ended up getting a raise, and will make more this year than I ever have in my life, and I am almost 47.

What I am seeing in the job market is that there are a lot of jobs available, it is just that people "DON'T WANT TO DO" that kind of work, because it is either manual labor, doesn't pay good enough, etc.

Remember people, $10 an hour is better than $0 an hour.

The company I drive for is owned by a Fortune 500 company (we are a subsidiary), and is not going anywhere but up. I currently make $18.50 an hour and am working 50-60 hours a week, sometimes more. Since I am in the Line Haul division of my company, all I do is drive, deliver and pickup. I don't do any of the loading/unloading except in rare cases. This is the best company I have ever worked for. The guys in the delivery division make even more than me.

If you have a Class A CDL, good driving record and are looking for a good job with a great company, PM me and I will give you details.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!

I don't know how anyone could survive on $10/hr these days. A friend of mine - who is 42, lives with mommy, and has the energy level of a Manatee - got a loading dock job with a Fedex contractor. He quit because he said his wage went to a clunker, gas, and insurance just to get him to the job and back.

I don't know how anyone could survive on $10/hr these days.

$10 an hour is hard. I pay my most skilled worker $15 and feel bad about it because he use to make $25. The funds aren't there to pay him more. Truth told I pay myself a lot less than him... Now if I were to give advice to all the young kids in college it would be go be an electrician or a plumber! The self employed electrician I use charges $48/hr and I know plumbers who charge over a hundred for an after hours call. When you don't have a toilet at night you pay that rate too!

I'm self employed {artist} because in late 2009 the exploration branch of the mining industry was wrecked by new government policies. There's still no geology work for me and now the low end art market {that part of my sales keeping my gas tank and refrigerator full} has dried up. High end stuff can take years to sell :(

Then there's my girlfriend {software engineer} who's house I live in,,, her company fired 60% of their work force 2 weeks ago. Not sure how long she'll be employed.

My son {carpenter} just got temporary work after being off for 2 months.
My brother {heavy equipment operator} recently went back to work after being unemployed for 2 years.

Still have it better than the neighbors on either side of us!

I don't know how anyone could survive on $10/hr these days. A friend of mine - who is 42, lives with mommy, and has the energy level of a Manatee - got a loading dock job with a Fedex contractor. He quit because he said his wage went to a clunker, gas, and insurance just to get him to the job and back.

All about priorities. I have two friends who live off about that much. Yearly it probably averages out to less. But they both love to ski so they work at the mountain during winter, live in cheap employee housing, and pretty much only pay for food. During the off season they do river rafting guiding or other stuff like that. The two do just fine and are always happy. Go to south America every year so they save up enough to do that as well.

All just depends on what you want in life. They do what they love so I usually pick up the bar tab

A $10 an hour job when you are unemployed is a starting point. When I lost my job last year, I was going to go work at the local Plaid Pantry where if you are a hard worker, you can be a store manager in less than a year making $40K per year + bonuses.

If $10 an hour is not enough to live on, get a second $10 an hour job and work them both until something better comes along. Deliver the newspaper, pump gas, bag groceries, something until the job you want is available.

It basically comes down to how much you really want to work. I have never been unemployed longer than 8 weeks, and that was last year. Maybe I have a stronger work ethic, I really don't know, but I do know that if I want to keep a roof over my family's head and food on the table, I better be out working my butt off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!

I'm selling off some of my AK steel core ammo and some 7.62 NATO surplus AP bullets to build my HK 93 clone, and as well to tool up for my new biz.. will be making very cool bronze mace head walking sticks and staffs, we talked about that when you were here. We have timberland and the wood is free. Next up will be making custom Medieval crossbows and quarrels, quivers and such. It's certainly going to be quite a change from being a R & D tech for years and then a tile contractor for over 15 years

Keep me posted about your progress...this new endeavor is definitely something I am interested in!

I work in Telecom in high profile positions typically. My degree is in Mechanical Engineering but I cant even get a interview to deal with that since I obtained it.
With a ME degree, I would think you'd be able to get a job. My son just completed a ME internship at Boeing (Everett, WA) and has a standing job offer to return to Boeing when he finishes his degree. They actually asked him to stay longer, but school starts in a couple of weeks. Boeing is hiring.

$10 an hour is hard. I pay my most skilled worker $15 and feel bad about it because he use to make $25. The funds aren't there to pay him more. Truth told I pay myself a lot less than him... Now if I were to give advice to all the young kids in college it would be go be an electrician or a plumber! The self employed electrician I use charges $48/hr and I know plumbers who charge over a hundred for an after hours call. When you don't have a toilet at night you pay that rate too!
I don't know that I'd advise all college students to leave school and try to get into a trade apprenticeship, but right now there are quite a few unmarketable degrees you can get. I'm strongly advising my daughter to NOT get an elementary education degree. She wants to work with kids, but I want her to have a chance at a job when she graduates.

I like being an electrician, but I've been very lucky to be steadily employed the last 4 years. When things started picking up again, thanks to Intel, there were new hires that had been off work 12 to 18 months.

I like being an electrician, but I've been very lucky to be steadily employed the last 4 years. When things started picking up again, thanks to Intel, there were new hires that had been off work 12 to 18 months.

I too like being an electrician, but have been slightly less fortunate than you. I was off for 9 months before getting two and a half months at Intel (2 1/2 months was enough at D1X, however. Got stuck on the roof of PSSS, pushing a 14' baker's scaffold around on grating and plywood, in the rain, running IMC). I'm now in Prineville, working on Facebook's PRN-2. Not working time, at the moment, but the work is better. Both were better than sitting at home, listening to bill collector's call...
-Curtis

I too like being an electrician, but have been slightly less fortunate than you. I was off for 9 months before getting two and a half months at Intel (2 1/2 months was enough at D1X, however. Got stuck on the roof of PSSS, pushing a 14' baker's scaffold around on grating and plywood, in the rain, running IMC).
Thankfully, I'm not working D1X. I'm in D1C, RB1, and D1CE (former Fab20) There are more than a couple of local 280 hands here still.

curtismann said:
I'm now in Prineville, working on Facebook's PRN-2. Not working time, at the moment, but the work is better. Both were better than sitting at home, listening to bill collector's call...
-Curtis
Do we work for the same company? Rosendin.

I've been a licensed contractor in Central Oregon since 1995, my thing is residential construction.
When you see unemployment numbers it does not include the self employed.
Our hungry Government in Bend has raised System Development Fees to $25,000 for a average home :huh:
When I can find work I am making 1/3 less than I did in 2007.

Originally Posted by kukusya
Just a heads up 20K people will be retired from Boeing in next 5 years
Almost 4k a year keep sending resumes.
It take me 7 years constantly applying to get hire here.
And you build airplanes???
And you build airplanes???
LOL, all you need is to have a pulse to qualify. Union at it's best.

Like many here I am slightly underemployed but happy to be employed at all. I have my foot in the door with a good company, work as hard as I can to prove my worth each and every day, and hope for the best.

Seems like a lot of folks on this site are trying to buy and sell guns. Is there an opportunity for someone to act as an agent? Seller pays a percentage to the broker, and the broker does all the leg work, meetups, postings, etc. Is that legal, assuming the actual transaction is between the real in-state buyer and a real in-state seller, with the broker just taking a cut? Need a CFL? I think consignments work approximately the same way, but with a CFL. I would think someone with time on his hands might be willing to take on a role like that for others on the forum, if it were legal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top