JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got laid off from a very good job about 4 years ago. Pay was great and I loved the work. Since then I've taken two far lower paying jobs. A few things I've noticed are that employers paying less , treating their employees worse, and expecting more. They know they can get away with it. They can easily fire a guy or the guy can quit and there will be 10 guys waiting to fill his spot. Thinking about moving to Mexico to find a good job

Well, I was laid off from my computer consulting jobs ($70,000+) some years ago. Now making about $14,000 a year. I'm way underemployed so I don't count in the unemployment figures anymore.

I got laid off from my dotcom position (about $60K) back in 2000 when all of the dotcoms bit the dust. Found out right away that if there is any grey in your hair, you might as well not bother with résumés and interviews. After a year of fruitless searching, I hung out my own shingle and have never looked back. Now I work from home and my commute to work is about 15 feet. I go to work when I feel like it and quit when I feel like it. The money is pretty decent (although I did eat a lot of beans and weenies in the early years). No way I'm ever going to go back to work for anybody else ever again. Right now the only dunderhead I have to deal with at work is me.

I worked for a "well known" Oregon manufacturer as Director of Inside Sales for 28 years, and was let go last March when the plant was closed and all production moved to the corporate office in Texas. Needless to say 28 years means nothing to employers these days. I am not sure what I will be doing next, it seems like no one wants to hire 54 year old men these days. One thing I have found is that interviews are very difficult at 54.
Today was a bad day I got 2 rejection notices today.

Nice thread and some interesting posts from some of you.... Im currently receiving unemployment as a federal furlowed employee but am enjoying the long break. Until June of 2011, I have been working 40-50 hours a week plus going to school full-time since 2004, and i've had many ups and downs in the process. I honestly love my job and feel blessed in my young career. Ideally, I really want to have my own business but with a robust economy I must first face reality.

I don't count, even though I am not working. I retired from the Army in 1988 and haven't been gainfully employed since. For those of you needing work to support yourselves and your families until you get to retirement, you are in my thoughts. I wish I had work to offer.

I was a gourmet butcher in CA making $25.00 an hour when company's owner died and the son took over and closed up shop. I've since been working somewhat steadily doing anything I can get my hands on, Costco Demonstrator, medical billing, Food Quality Control, retail merchandising/construction.
All my jobs were $12.00/hr, except the current job at $10.00/hr.
So, yeah, since 2010 I've taken a 52% loss of income, and now a further 16%.

I've been a luck electrician. I've been working pretty steady since March 21, 2008, all but 3 weeks at Intel at Ronler Acres.

I remember when we used to shoot at Ronler Acres. Early 80's. On the employment side, living on V.A. disability right now. Have been for 15 months. We're getting by but just barely. Disposable income is but a fond memory. It's doable but it's not the most fun I've ever had.

Former employer moved my job to Texas, then shut down the business here. I managed to find another position, with less free time, less vacation, less money. Wife is out of work, College graduate kids are all under-employed.

Welcome to the "recovery".

You know, I see ads for drivers constantly, but nobody ever says exactly HOW to get your Class A license!

A while ago I listened to a radio show wheree some trucking company had problems hiring drivers with the right papers. Apparently most candidates fail the drug test.

Fortunately I'm employed and make a decent living. I do my best to support American jobs by staying away from Walmart and looking for American made where I can.

I had to shut down both my businesses in 2009 and am out of work but planning a new one at the moment. If it works it only will because of very low overhead. I will never work for anyone as an employee, ever again

BTW my gal and I went into a mall wart for the first time the other day to check their whiskey prices and they were WAY high. Somehow I never made it over to the ammo section..

Currently employed at about 40% of my pay from eight years ago. $60k a year to $24k now... Eight years ago it was just my wife and I, now there are two more mouths at the table and everything else is up 40-60% costwise. At least my current employer encourages concealed carry at work and are "good" people to boot.

There are academies where they train you.. a neighbor went thru one so I heard all about it. If I remember right it was $1500

Some fleets used to either loan the money or foot the training bill if you are accepted to work for them. Not sure if that's still true.

Some fleets used to either loan the money or foot the training bill if you are accepted to work for them. Not sure if that's still true.

I have considered it as a part time job but no way I want to work full time for anyone.. have too many personal skills to do so, and while I will do my duty I will not be abused by anyone

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top