JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Self employed for 28 years. If I had to show up to a 'job' every M-F at 8am and leave at 5pm like some automaton I would have off'd myself long ago. Going with the herd has never been my thing though.

I get many people begging for work at almost any wage and it is heartbreaking. I have always told friends it isn't about what you make it is what you spend. Many people driving a new Mercedes and living in mansion-like homes are living paycheck to paycheck.

Might not have much, but no debt, no stress that so many others have. Owning things has a sinister way of enslaving you. Especially a house full of crap that no man should ever want or need.

Not out of work, but out of motivation TO work. And obviously that motivation is the only one to do so.
Cash.
During the 11years i've been living, and working here in the US, I've been steadily going backwards. Partly to inflation, which it's rampant no matter what "they"tell you, and the fast that nobody in and around the Seattle area what's to pay craftsmen like myself shy decent salaries...

As more and more people face months' wait time for a bed/meal at a shelter there will be gainful employment options that never really seemed like options before. People have to do whatever they have to do to survive.

It is late night work and usually will require some planning, a decent crowbar and a flashlight. Then hoping that inside the home is not lurking someone with a 12g. The hours are great. Short work evenings, but kind of risky. Avoid dressing in bright colors if possible.

Not everyone taking up this line of work will look like a biker or a thug. They'll look just like your neighbors. In fact, they just might be your neighbors.

"When people have nothing, and they have nothing to lose, they lose it" G. Celente

Retired from the Army in 2006. Worked for contractors until 2009. Have been looking to work, but no one wants to hire a 44 Year old, Retired Green Beret. Even though I was a Medical NCO, and a 1SG with Mad skills, everyone asks how I am doing and they look at me like I an going to freak out and kill them. I even tried to convince one employer I was Mexican, just to get a part time gig to make some extra gun money. He didn't buy it. When I showed Him My B.I.A. card he cussed me and told me to get out........If You are a Vet, good luck...stay in school or the service as long as You can..Not much out here on the "Other Side"....

I would say I am "underemployed" but glad to be employed. I'm just getting by. I earn a third of what my income was 2 years ago as a manager, but my co-workers and customers are great. Plus, I am learning new skills, and I get to handle many kinds of guns and outdoor gear every day (even if I can't afford to buy any right now). I've also re-learned the making of sound value decisions when it comes to material items, and not letting my impulses rule, which is leading to a simpler and less cluttered life.

Last Edited:
Just a heads up 20K people will be retired from Boeing in next 5 years
Almost 4k a year keep sending resumes.
It take me 7 years constantly applying to get hire here.

I haven't been working steadily since 2010. I took two three month contracts in late 2011 and early 2012, but I'm creeping up on six months of no work. Interviews are hard to come by and good luck getting a decent wage. I'll end up having to settle into a significantly lower paying job. Oh well.

I've managed to stay employed, and make 20K a year more than I did 5 years ago. The downside is that I am a single person doing a two man job. So the hours are long and the stress is high. I probably average 50+ hours a week before you count hours from being called in (I'm on call 24/7). No overtime either as I am salary.

The sad part is that even though my job sucks, I have to consider myself lucky.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I have been making ends meet by scrapping and misc. side (framing/drywall/heavy equipment) work since '10. I make enough per month to cover my bills and feed for the animals, but it is pretty variable. The job search isn't going particularly well.

I'm paid well to do work I hate. I wish I were unemployed. Except for the paycheck, which I need.

Anyone want to talk about starting a complex in Ecuador, Belize or Mexico? Tell 'em all to bubblegum themselves and live the way we want?

I have been making ends meet by scrapping and misc. side (framing/drywall/heavy equipment) work since '10. I make enough per month to cover my bills and feed for the animals, but it is pretty variable. The job search isn't going particularly well.

Brother, if not for my lady and her good steady job we would be in deep doo doo. Hang in there

I'm paid well to do work I hate. I wish I were unemployed. Except for the paycheck, which I need.

That's me. Retired from a CA company in 2001 and took the same job with a similar company in Portland. Went from $65K to $95K. Now unemployed...I retired last week. It would have been a toss-up every day if I had to decide whether to go to work or go get a root canal done, so I am now relaxed and happy and the pressure is gone.

What allowed me to finally retire is that Apple computer has been very good to me as an investment since 2003. $7.50 per share turned into $667.50.

I almost feel bad for being so lucky when so many folks are hurting through no fault of their own...almost.

Wife has been searching daily for almost a year. Solid interview yesterday, but even with best foot forward, they called today and someone presented a better foot (more experience). I admire her for persistence and exploring so many options in an opportunity wasteland. We are looking at education opportunities, but fresh educated new minds can't get jobs. Had to sell the teenager's car out from under him tonight. It was my rig, that he has been using for 2 years, but need the money, and the benefits of no insurance, maintenance and fuel

I currently own my own business, but business only supplies Mortgage money. Fortunately I have a wife with a really good job or I'd be doing what everyone else is and scrambling for whatever work I could get.

I have a lot of skills, some of them pretty advanced. I've always been able to find a job, even though it's involved three entirely different careers. But I do remember, and it's etched in my memory, the years 2002-2004, when I couldn't BUY a job other than the odd temp-gig or burger-flipping.

My heart goes out to all of you guys. There's no worse feeling in the world. All I can say is, don't give up and don't be afraid to try something entirely new. On one of those three careers I started at $9 an hour and ended at $65k a year. On another I started at $5 per hour plus commission and ended at $85k a year.

Whatever you do, remember that ANY work, even flipping burgers, is better than no work. (And I've flipped burgers).

The personal pride and dignity of working at ANY job, beats the crap out of having no job. And you don't have to put EVERY job on your resume.

-Best of luck to you all,

Bill

Retired from the Army in 2006. Worked for contractors until 2009. Have been looking to work, but no one wants to hire a 44 Year old, Retired Green Beret. Even though I was a Medical NCO, and a 1SG with Mad skills, everyone asks how I am doing and they look at me like I an going to freak out and kill them. I even tried to convince one employer I was Mexican, just to get a part time gig to make some extra gun money. He didn't buy it. When I showed Him My B.I.A. card he cussed me and told me to get out........If You are a Vet, good luck...stay in school or the service as long as You can..Not much out here on the "Other Side"....

I was wondering what it would be like if I had stayed in 25, which would have made 2006 my retirement date.
In 1985, 25s year looked like crap. Today, comparatively, it looks pretty damned sweet.

Those of us who remember getting $275 every 15 days as a new E-5 will get this.

Being self employed in a luxury item field,I've done pretty well over the last couple of years.Three or four years ago was dreadful.I probably worked 7 months out of the year and it was mostly part time.I feel very lucky right now.

I'll be alright. Got a lot of stuff I can unload if things turn more sour.

I'm selling off some of my AK steel core ammo and some 7.62 NATO surplus AP bullets to build my HK 93 clone, and as well to tool up for my new biz.. will be making very cool bronze mace head walking sticks and staffs, we talked about that when you were here. We have timberland and the wood is free. Next up will be making custom Medieval crossbows and quarrels, quivers and such. It's certainly going to be quite a change from being a R & D tech for years and then a tile contractor for over 15 years

I got laid off in 08 and I was making close to $17 an hour. I tried going back to school but realized that was going nowhere fast with enrollment almost doubling every term. Now the only job I could find is delivering pizzas.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top