JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Who have read "Patriots:Surviving the Coming Collapse"? What is your input on this book? Well this book was written in 1999, so is this book still a something to refer to when SHTF? Please give me your input and thought that this book giving idea for the coming collapse :)

"Patriots Surviving the Coming Collapse by James Wesley, Rawles. Softbound, like new condition. Publisher's Note A fast-paced novel that follows a group of Christian survivalists through a stock market crash, an economic collapse, and a second civil war. This novel doesn't just tell readers what could happen in the near future, it explains exactly how to prepare for it. It is packed with useful information on how to survive a disaster. The main character is Todd Gray, an accountant from Chicago in his early 30s. He is a conservative Christian survivalist and the leader of an eight-member retreat group, a group of like-minded survivalists. Two years before the onset of a stock market crash and socioeconomic collapse, Todd and his wife Mary buy a farm in rural north-central Idaho. The Crunch occurs. Mass inflation and a stock market crash are followed by absolute chaos in the cities and suburbs. There is widespread, continuous looting and arson that cause massive loss of life and property. The federal and state governments essentially disappear En route to the retreat, group members encounter many dangerous situations. Their many adventures are detailed. A chilling novel because reality is just around the corner "

Its a survival manual disguised as a novel. The writing is very sub-par though. But there is some good information tucked in there. I found myself struggling through the novel portion until you'd find the next "oh, that's a good piece of information to know."

So, depends what you're looking for. As a novel, I would not recommend at all. As a pure survival manual, better ones out there (including Rawles website which is great). As an enertaining story-line with some nifty info tucked inside...then its worth it. I don't regret buying mine or reading it.

(I thought One Second After was a much better book, writing was very good and lots of good info about what a crumbling society might look like in various stages).

Hope that helps. YMMV.

I agree with the comments above and would also recommend "One Second After". A well written story and an eye opener for those that think tomorrow will always be like today.

Wife just bought me this book on Thursday. I havent started it but its been on my short list for a while now. Ive also heard the characters are shady and the unlimited supplies deem it questionable.

Benny, there are multiple versions of the novel. There was a recent release where the SHTF scenario is an economic collapse. Being an Economist by trade, it was pretty interesting. The novel section was pretty lame, but I find myself referring back to it like a text book to pick up tips on tactics, planning and weapons. Someone I know referred to it as "Gun pr0n". However, it is still worth the read if you can get through the monotonous writing and characters.

For me it was one of those books that is hard to put down. I agree that it will probably never win a Pulitzer Prize, but I don't think that was the mission intended when Mr. Rawls wrote the book.

Planning, preparedness, two is one/one is none, group cohesion, multi-level plans etc. were key themes and provide much food for thought. Admittedly it is fiction, but when you consider that the characters started planning and put a team together a number of years ago it enabled them to stockpile supplies for a SHTF scenario. How many of us can do that?

Finding a team beyond me, my wife and I is proving difficult. I suspect that in our mobile society that is true for many other folks as well.

I read it. I have read other books such as Boston's Gun Bible, Survival guns by Mel Tappan and Tappan on defense. They are all good but you have to decide what works for you and for whatever scenario you envision. There are many other books out there of this type, too. Back in the 80's, I used to buy Survival Guide magazine. It is no longer on the market but there are a few similar ones. Just look around.

i liked it and the other books others have mentioned.
i found a writer named s.m. stirling novels of the change series that are based in the northwest they aren't to bad.

Great book to let people read who just woke up and realize they need to do something. I read the online version back in the 90's when it was share ware.

New Book is an alright update.

SF-

I read it and it was ok, will get you thinking, maybe that is what Rawles wants to get more people thinking about the world they live on, just picked up a copy for mom and dad for christmas, got it at Borders.

I thought the characters were crap, they functioned like robots. There was no development and the book really didn't reflect the sort of emotional stresses that would be happening. Other than that the rest was entertaining.

That would be my #1 criticism of the book also. Before I ever heard of the novel I had been in contact with its author, James Wesley Rawles, and become a reader of his excellent website. Rawles has the same problem I have. he can't create and develop characters. But, with all that aside, the ideas in Patriots are mostly good. I think that the idea of moving away from cities, buying 10+ acres, setting up an OPLP, buying uniforms for all of your group's memebers, etc. is a bit overboard and will definitely cause neighbors to regard you as "one of those people." My best advice to anybody reading this is to MAINTAIN THE APPEARANCE OF NORMAL at all costs. Whether you live in a condo in downtown Portland or you have 40 acres along the Clark-Skamania county line, make sure you look normal or average to all of your neighbors. When the SHTF this in itself will buy you time to do whatever you see necessary to do. (You neighbors will ignore you for awhile.) I also think that your chance of surviving a SHTF scenario is much better if you "dig in" and fortify your home than it is if you grab a GOOD bag and head for the hills. If you're planning to survive in the hills, you had better already be living there before the SHTF. The one exception to this would be if you happen to have a relative you can trust who already lives in the hills and you can safely join up with him or her in a SHTF situation. Then it makes sense to run. Otherwise just dig in. Board up the windows and doors. Have lots of drinking water and food. Keep close watch on what's happening. If the gun grab begins be sure you have already buried or otherwise hidden away most of your guns and ammo. Look normal (stupid.) But be smart.

I read it. I have read other books such as Boston's Gun Bible, Survival guns by Mel Tappan and Tappan on defense. They are all good but you have to decide what works for you and for whatever scenario you envision. There are many other books out there of this type, too. Back in the 80's, I used to buy Survival Guide magazine. It is no longer on the market but there are a few similar ones. Just look around.

Mel Tappan had resources that 95% of us don't have. He was married to an heiress of the Mack truck fortune. That's why he was able to buy a ranch in eastern Oregon and set it up like a survivalist retreat. He also died of a heart attack in 1980 because he didn't deal with the #1 survival matter of one's health.

For me it was one of those books that is hard to put down. I agree that it will probably never win a Pulitzer Prize, but I don't think that was the mission intended when Mr. Rawls wrote the book.

Planning, preparedness, two is one/one is none, group cohesion, multi-level plans etc. were key themes and provide much food for thought. Admittedly it is fiction, but when you consider that the characters started planning and put a team together a number of years ago it enabled them to stockpile supplies for a SHTF scenario. How many of us can do that?

Finding a team beyond me, my wife and I is proving difficult. I suspect that in our mobile society that is true for many other folks as well.

Regarding "finding a team," who would want to trust anybody outside of his immediate family? For every one person you invite to be part of your team, you risk inviting every person that person is related to or knows. (When the SHTF do you think for one minute that person is going to say "no" to a brother who's a refugee from the cities? You'll get every kind of undesirable known to man.)

Regarding "finding a team," who would want to trust anybody outside of his immediate family? For every one person you invite to be part of your team, you risk inviting every person that person is related to or knows. (When the SHTF do you think for one minute that person is going to say "no" to a brother who's a refugee from the cities? You'll get every kind of undesirable known to man.)

I have come to that conclusion as well.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR