JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Regarding "finding a team," who would want to trust anybody outside of his immediate family? For every one person you invite to be part of your team, you risk inviting every person that person is related to or knows. (When the SHTF do you think for one minute that person is going to say "no" to a brother who's a refugee from the cities? You'll get every kind of undesirable known to man.)

The same would then go for in-laws too, it should really come down to can a person be an asset or are they a liability. At the time they "show up" if they bring nothing to the table then they are more than likely not an asset, something the group should have planned out before hand.
If a SHTF and its bad like Portland is not going to be liveable better get out fast I'am sure any town out side of Portland is going to look at those getting out late as a swarm of "every kind of undesirables known to man".

Not great book. But, it's a good read.
Here's a few more to consider.

Alas Babylon
Lucifer's Hammer
One Second After

I can second "Alas Babylon." It was written 50 years ago and most of what's in it still applies today. But if you were in Florida (where the novel's set) you'd be dead nowadays. Between all the military bases and the 14 million people in Florida you wouldn't stand a chance. The best part was where it described how all the "druggies" (addicts) ran out of their pills and went around looting pharmacies to get some. Great stuff.

I thought the book was well written for what it is; an undercover survival guide. I've been obssesively reading the apocalyptic genre for about 10 years. This is the first one that I've read this is more of a guide. If you just want a good novel to read within the genre, but is less guide and had been story and character development, here are a few of my top recommedations:

Alas Babylon - Pat Frank
One Second After - William Forstchen
On the Beach - Nevil Shute
The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews