JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Incorrect. Cops don't have a particularly dangerous job. Look at some stats.

You are correct. I don't need to look at the stats because anyone who can do the math would be able to see.

Every single one of us takes a chance everyday that we step out the door.

Put into perspective and calculation exactly how many people PER CAPITA (in ratio to population numbers) are robbed, raped, murdered, or die in car or work related accidents, EXCLUDING LE related numbers of both criminal and cop.

The numbers will show that being the average working "Joe Shmoe" is far more hazardous than walking out the door with a badge, a gun, a club, tazer, kevlar and a gang to back you up at the push of a button (while making $31 per plus full bennies and retirement courtesy of the tax payer gravy train).

Dangerous job... sheeee-iiiiit! Tell it to the Marines bud.

I'm not usually one for this, but.... uh....

TL;DR

Footnotes, maybe?

Pardon my ignorance but... TL; DR (?). I don't follow.

I'm assuming (though I've been wrong before) that this is some kind of poke at my poor punctuation or my "mini novels" that are lacking in credible annotation.

Yes, I can take criticism and laugh at myself without getting butt hurt or throwing mud. We are all civilized gentlemen... right?

I don't believe we voted for these type of cops, I think the cops are a product of their work environment.
They are there to protect the streets yet like our military they are bound by laws that the evil on the other side do not abide by.
They are shot, stabbed, or fought because some loser has a warrant or they don't want to go to jail.

How do you want cops to be?
You want them to let the trash society tell them what to do?

Look at what they deal with, go to portland during all the "protests"
Look at the restraint and poise they have in the face of complete ignorance and disrespect.

I ask you then, what would you want LEOs to do?
Not enforce the laws? Let people do what they want because they don't want to hurt people feelings? Simple anarchy?
Take everyone's for their dishonest word?

I got harassed A LOT by LEOs when I was younger. For example I was pulled over 11 times in about a year and a half. But it taught me a lot of lessons. Mainly, don't be stupid.

I see the disgusting things humans do to each other on a daily basis, and more and more by teenagers, and I'm happy we have LEOs out there. I wish they would throw out the feelings and political correctness and crack more heads.
Same with our country club prison system.

I don't believe we voted for these type of cops, I think the cops are a product of their work environment.
They are there to protect the streets yet like our military they are bound by laws that the evil on the other side do not abide by.
They are shot, stabbed, or fought because some loser has a warrant or they don't want to go to jail.

How do you want cops to be?
You want them to let the trash society tell them what to do?

Look at what they deal with, go to portland during all the "protests"
Look at the restraint and poise they have in the face of complete ignorance and disrespect.

I ask you then, what would you want LEOs to do?
Not enforce the laws? Let people do what they want because they don't want to hurt people feelings? Simple anarchy?
Take everyone's for their dishonest word?

I got harassed A LOT by LEOs when I was younger. For example I was pulled over 11 times in about a year and a half. But it taught me a lot of lessons. Mainly, don't be stupid.

I see the disgusting things humans do to each other on a daily basis, and more and more by teenagers, and I'm happy we have LEOs out there. I wish they would throw out the feelings and political correctness and crack more heads.
Same with our country club prison system.

One thing I forget to do is distinguish when I am generalizing. It is important because we both know that there are always exceptions. There are indeed some absolutely awesome officers out there.

Yes, law enforcement is absolutely necessary, of course. My whole point was that like our military, law enforcement is being exploited for profit. I guess I take exception to the amount of money that they make on average when I think about the pittance that I earned in the military.

Don't take that the wrong way. I'm not one to complain about serving my country, just about the TRUE reasons why we were ordered to do some of the things we did.

I don't believe that LE should be putting their lives at risk over consensual crimes. In another post I mentioned how we (as a society) learned nothing from the failed Volstead Act of 1919 (also known as Prohibition). A good book about this is called "Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do". by Peter McWilliams.

This "officially declared" war on drugs is moving on fifty years now; much longer than the Volstead Act and it has taken it's toll not just on our nations economy, schools, and citizens, but on the quality of the officers hired and the training that they receive.

I feel that this "war" on drugs has changed our nation socially in the worst of ways, just as the Volstead Act did. Our public servants now seem more, on the surface, like soldiers than protectors. And that is very much the way they are trained.

As a vet, I don't fool myself into believing that I protected anything here while I was on the other side of the globe. Our job was to fight, not protect.

This should not be the case with the public servant. Sure, in order to survive on the streets, they have to be able to throw down, of course. But personally, I would rather get into a knock down drag out with a child molester, murderer, or thief than some strung out tweeker who has made his own choice to fry his brain.

That is his Constitutional right, and I swore an oath to support and defend that right.

Now, if he goes out and kills or robs some one, then he is a murderer or a thief, and he should be handled accordingly. His choice to be a tweeker is irrelevant, especially in light of the fact that it is the prohibition of drugs, in the first place, that drives up the black market prices, compelling these weak willed individuals toward crime in order to support their habits.

Murder is murder, as theft is theft, as rape is rape all in themselves. Choosing to fry your brain is simply a matter of weak will and personal choice.

The only place you'll see someone kill another human being over a pack of smokes is in a prison...where they are PROHIBITED. It doesn't take a genius to see these realities about black market economics and war profiteering.

Here on this site, we advocate for each other's rights to be armed and to protect ourselves and ours, yet we blatantly strip people of their right to stomp their brain cells with a drug of their choice other than alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, or pharmaceuticals. I see a double standard there.

As a society, we have to truly question what laws are actually serving us rather than hurting us while unseen parties, both in government and black market become rich. I feel that it is these policies that are producing the social conditions that result in the quality (or lack) of law enforcement that seems so prevalent today.

Awhile back, this general topic came up on another site and one of the cop apologists.....

This is neat, when we want to label someone as an opponent and try to disregard their opinions lets just give them a propaganda title like "apologist", because if they don't agree with us then they must be an agent of evil.

I have my own perspective from personal experience, and it is very unforgiving of all who work within the system. .....

How unique.

it is up to all of us as voters (if that even means anything anymore) to open our eyes by informing ourselves and opening our eyes to the horrifying reality of what is the corporate owned LE/(privatized)Corrections/Judicial INDUSTRY.

Tell me more about Oregon's corporate run law enforcements and "privatized" prison system?

Although, due to human nature, all the credible research, facts, merit, and validity in the world usually will still not open the eyes of most people. The intellectual approach only works on those who have some intellect. And then only if they use that presumed intellect..

I get it, so anyone who has different perspectives or doesn't fall into lock step with your ideology is automatically too ignorant to form a rational thought and make appropriate choices, right? It must be so lonely at the top.

But, I digress. I can go on bashing the corporate lords who ACTUALLY rule our country (and much of the globe), and/or the political whores on their $-leashes-$, or the badge wearing enforcers of policy at the end of the politician's leashes (who also profit quite well, but not as well as the previously mentioned) ...

Did you fit enough buzz words in there to mask the lack of substance?

But when it really comes down to pointing the finger, it comes right back to the feeble minded masses of citizens who are too distracted with (un)reality TV, nail jobs, professional sports, gay rights, Confederate flags, and stuffing their fat, spoiled American faces, to do the reading and research required to lift the mind veil from their eyes, see the bigger picture and the world beyond the TV screen and their obscured rural bubbles, and get involved....

Sweet another buzz word fest. This one is reiterating the same paragraph above though, everyone but you is too stupid to make informed thought, right? Again, what's the view like from the top? You clearly are perfect and free from fault in all things, judging by your wide reaching criticism of ...well...everyone else.

In the same way, as a vet, I no longer blame the politicians for sending my "Jarhead" brothers, my shipmates, and I half way around the world for their own purpose of making their corporate masters even more wealthy and powerful. I blame the CITIZENRY of this nation... for the very same reasons mentioned before, for allowing their weak minded to buy into the mainstream media lies.....

It's neat you blame the citizens of your country for something you voluntarily signed up to do. That's a cop out and you know it. You swore allegiance to the country and its will, when you joined, just like the rest of us. If you felt that strongly about it, you should have deserted. But that would have had a personal impact as opposed to just telling everyone else how horrible it is and attempting to absolve yourself and distance yourself after the fact. All the while implying that everyone else involved is somehow either ignorant to the point they were used as pawns or implicitly part of the problem. All while conveniently removing yourself from any responsibility.

There is a much bigger and broader picture to these topics we all "discuss" and much of it is all connected in some way; usually by money (again, follow the money trails). And one of the most difficult parts of doing the research is being able to filter through what is BS conspiracy and actual conspiracy.

Again, with the rhetoric? Tell us about the tough research you have done. The facts you have found that you had to filter through all the "BS conspiracies" and actual ones, to find. Where did the money lead you?

Sure I'm no fan of cops for my own reasons, but in the BROADER SCHEME OF THINGS, that is irrelevant. What is relevant is that in the bigger picture that is so skillfully and decptively painted by the powers that be, is that we the citizens are not even mere pawns, the enforcers are. That would make our military the knights so long as they obey and comply, and the rest are members of the corporate/political club of bishops, castles, queens, and kings. And the rest are certainly not members..

Oh neat another chess analogy. :rolleyes: Change it up once and a while man, use the wizard of Oz thing once and a while, the man behind the curtain and what not.

And we have only our ignorant, fat, deceived, American selves to blame. I'm learning to stop scapegoating so much...

Really? It sounds like you still do a pretty good job of scapegoating every single person but yourself. I mean from the government, to the corporations, to the fat civilians, to the military, to the privatized war machines that are police. No one escapes your criticism it would seem. As I have stated before it must be lonely at the top in the ivory tower.

But from the military on down are the ones who are truly in a position to effect a change. One of those groups has already served their time and been exploited and misused, another is too distracted with propaganda and the American "dream illusion" as sold to them on TV....

Wait are these the pawns, the rooks, the fat lazy stupid Americans...or? Which ones are these? Its hard to tell them apart, I mean you've spent a good amount of time lamenting about how ignorant, lazy and foolish the country is. Then the whole thing about how the military are pawns that have been used by corporations and what not. I mean where do we start. They can impact change? since we are lumping everyone into the same heap right? Everyone but...... you, of course.

And another sure isn't going to jump off that drug war funded taxpayer gravy train by going after the really big fish what swim in DC and up in their corporate towers and fancy estates. They know better than to bite the hand of their real masters, and those masters certainly are not the tax paying citizens. Taxpayers lost that right long ago and never even saw it happen.

We can just toss this into the rhetoric pile with the rest I suppose. I mean it's been pointed out before.

If you are going to make a post and lambast and blame literally every single person but yourself, all while never actually using factual representation, evidence or logic you could at least make it entertaining. This is the same thing people have been saying for decades, even the same catch phrases!

It's one thing to have legitimate concerns and post thought provoking issues or even..... dare I say ...offer up constructive ideas that may help impact change for the better, but this type of key board mashing circle jerk regurgitation is pointless and a waste of time.

We have gone from Protect and Serve to Policing for Profit. Now that marijuana is legal in Oregon and Washington the cops can't make easy money writing $650 possession fines, so we are going to see a lot more of these BS stops as they go fishing for revenue.

This is neat, when we want to label someone as an opponent and try to disregard their opinions lets just give them a propaganda title like "apologist", because if they don't agree with us then they must be an agent of evil.

How unique.

Tell me more about Oregon's corporate run law enforcements and "privatized" prison system?

I get it, so anyone who has different perspectives or doesn't fall into lock step with your ideology is automatically too ignorant to form a rational thought and make appropriate choices, right? It must be so lonely at the top.

Did you fit enough buzz words in there to mask the lack of substance?

Sweet another buzz word fest. This one is reiterating the same paragraph above though, everyone but you is too stupid to make informed thought, right? Again, what's the view like from the top? You clearly are perfect and free from fault in all things, judging by your wide reaching criticism of ...well...everyone else.

It's neat you blame the citizens of your country for something you voluntarily signed up to do. That's a cop out and you know it. You swore allegiance to the country and its will, when you joined, just like the rest of us. If you felt that strongly about it, you should have deserted. But that would have had a personal impact as opposed to just telling everyone else how horrible it is and attempting to absolve yourself and distance yourself after the fact. All the while implying that everyone else involved is somehow either ignorant to the point they were used as pawns or implicitly part of the problem. All while conveniently removing yourself from any responsibility.

Again, with the rhetoric? Tell us about the tough research you have done. The facts you have found that you had to filter through all the "BS conspiracies" and actual ones, to find. Where did the money lead you?

Oh neat another chess analogy. :rolleyes: Change it up once and a while man, use the wizard of Oz thing once and a while, the man behind the curtain and what not.

Really? It sounds like you still do a pretty good job of scapegoating every single person but yourself. I mean from the government, to the corporations, to the fat civilians, to the military, to the privatized war machines that are police. No one escapes your criticism it would seem. As I have stated before it must be lonely at the top in the ivory tower.

Wait are these the pawns, the rooks, the fat lazy stupid Americans...or? Which ones are these? Its hard to tell them apart, I mean you've spent a good amount of time lamenting about how ignorant, lazy and foolish the country is. Then the whole thing about how the military are pawns that have been used by corporations and what not. I mean where do we start. They can impact change? since we are lumping everyone into the same heap right? Everyone but...... you, of course.

We can just toss this into the rhetoric pile with the rest I suppose. I mean it's been pointed out before.

If you are going to make a post and lambast and blame literally every single person but yourself, all while never actually using factual representation, evidence or logic you could at least make it entertaining. This is the same thing people have been saying for decades, even the same catch phrases!

It's one thing to have legitimate concerns and post thought provoking issues or even..... dare I say ...offer up constructive ideas that may help impact change for the better, but this type of key board mashing circle jerk regurgitation is pointless and a waste of time.

Also way, way tl;dr.... But I did see your bit about "apologist," and you don't seem to understand what that term means - it's not an insult. There should be nothing insulting about being called an apologist in a field, discipline, or area of interest to you. Just means you're someone who's practiced at least some art of defending it.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=apologist

(I've seen this come up recently... usually in the context of Christian Apologetics, which some ignorant Christian will whine that they're being insulted by someone referring to them as an apologist)

I am not big on cops giving someone a lecture. on the law. Tell me what the charge is, and say sign here. Answere any questions. Have a good day.

Also way, way tl;dr.... But I did see your bit about "apologist," and you don't seem to understand what that term means - it's not an insult. There should be nothing insulting about being called an apologist in a field, discipline, or area of interest to you. Just means you're someone who's practiced at least some art of defending it.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=apologist

(I've seen this come up recently... usually in the context of Christian Apologetics, which some ignorant Christian will whine that they're being insulted by someone referring to them as an apologist)
I'm glad you didn't read it, it probably would have been wasted on you.

The term apologist IS an insult, used as a backhanded insult disguised as a "term" to describe someone who holds a view that is in support of a belief that is deemed "unpopular" or "controversial" to who ever is using the term.

It's a bullbubblegum backhanded insult to imply that someone who holds a certain view need to apologize or be apologetic in their beliefs. Hence the term apologist.

I would certainly take it as a compliment, for instance, if someone said to me, "you're quite the Christian apologist, aren't you?" I would assume you were telling me my arguments were logical, reasoned, and well vetted.
I'm glad you didn't read it, it probably would have been wasted on you.

The term apologist IS an insult, used as a backhanded insult disguised as a "term" to describe someone who holds a view that is in support of a belief that is deemed "unpopular" or "controversial" to who ever is using the term.

It's a bullbubblegum backhanded insult to imply that someone who holds a certain view need to apologize or be apologetic in their beliefs. Hence the term apologist.

You're incorrect. Completely.

I see a lot of cop bashing here mainly from people who have no clue what occurs in a cops life- only their own ideas - some of which are tainted by the past life they have led. What you don't see or even know about is the daily stress cops live with - on the job - at home. And then they have the belligerence of the public - are there bad cops across the US - yes there are just like there are bad people in all aspects of society - in every occupation - So It is real easy to bad mouth the cops by saying all cops are bullies, criminals, etc - but that would be totally untrue - and all of you know it. What do the cops have to deal with ?
A whole lot of people who have no clue how to operate in society - from the chronically stupid people - who we see on a daily basis - and we have all seen them - the mentals who were usually placed in mental hospitals for their own and societies protection - who now are not placed anywhere- but are allowed to wander - causing problems- hurting and killing others - and the police have to deal with them on a regular basis - and then there are the drunks and druggies driving on our highways - killing innocent people on a regular basis to the criminals who cheat, steal, and kill without thought. The police deal with all of this - most of which most of you have no clue about.

The bottom line is: Nothing is impossible for the person who doesn't have to do it"

If you want to see what the cops do - go for a ride along with them - see what they do every single day and night of the week. Or for those that have to - talk to your probation/parole officer. Every cop out there has a job to do, and they do it to the best of their ability - because if they don't they will be unemployed - and if you really are truthful with yourselves - that ticket that you got you probably deserved - and if you got arrested for a crime or for drunk driving - then who is to blame ?- start with yourself - and the bottom line is : If you have never done the job it is a little hard to be so critical. Do I condone bad cops - absolutely not - they should be fired and or prosecuted if necessary - are there cops with and attitudes out there - yes and they should be dealt with- not always by firing them - perhaps they are going thru burn out - which is common in a cops life - they all go thru it at some part of their career. And if you have a bad encounter with the police and I don't mean because you were a belligerent AH - then complain to the Department.

And how do I know all this - because I spent 33 years in law enforcement - and it was not an easy job - did I enjoy it - yes I did - would I do it all over again - yes I Would - but maybe I would be a fireman !

I would certainly take it as a compliment, for instance, if someone said to me, "you're quite the Christian apologist, aren't you?" I would assume you were telling me my arguments were logical, reasoned, and well vetted.

You're incorrect. Completely.

And You, likely would take it as a compliment,you strike me as that type of person.

Just because you want it not to carry negative connotations doesn't make it so.

So everyone here are gun apologists I guess? You can title yourself an apologist all you like if you feel the need to be apologetic for your views, I do not.

Words mean things. Root words mean things. That term has been around since the 1600's and it was used, just like it sounds, for people who were meant to feel that they needed to be apologetic in their stance defending religion primarily. I don't need to apologize for anything regarding my views, perhaps you think that is necessary but some of us have more conviction.

a·pol·o·gist
əˈpäləjəst/
noun
noun: apologist; plural noun: apologists
  1. a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.
    "an enthusiastic apologist for fascism in the 1920s"
    synonyms: defender, supporter, upholder,advocate, proponent, exponent,propagandist, champion, campaigner;
    informalcheerleader
    "one of Eisenhower's better-known apologists"
    antonyms: critic
Origin
upload_2015-8-17_18-13-47.png
mid 17th century: from French apologiste, from Greekapologizesthai 'give an account' (see apologize).

I'm well aware of the definitions, I'm arguing that accepting the term is ignorant.

If you are OK being labeled an apologist instead of supporter, defender, advocate that's fine, be "apologetic" in your stance, don't assume others are as well.

The term has meant "defend" for at least 2,000 years, probably more like 6,000 - you're only the second person (both on the internet) I've ever seen try to use it any other way.

The term has meant "defend" for at least 2,000 years, probably more like 6,000 - you're only the second person (both on the internet) I've ever seen try to use it any other way.

6 thousand years huh? Awesome you found a word that pre dates it's own conception. Even at 2000 years! Awesome. Also I'm not sure if you are aware, but there's actually quite a few words that were common place... hundreds.. of years ago that simply aren't used any more. Some as recently as last century that while some people, ignorant racists, as an example still find to be appropriate, lots of other people find those words to be insulting.

Like I said, keep being an "apologist" if you like. If you feel the need to have your stance associated with apologies that's on you. I and frankly a good portion of others, will keep thinking it's a stupid term and implies weakness and subservience. To each their own.

Apologetics in terms of Christian faith is a whole separate issue man and you know it. I'm talking about using the term apologist to classify any group defending that which counters your opinion, it's a bullbubblegum backhand term.

Like I said, you seem to be comfortable with the term, that's fine, for you. If you want to be an apologist in religion or your political or moral opinions go for it. Not everyone is as accepting of the implications.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads