Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Which shooting mat?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Don H, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Don H

Don H Oregon Well-Known Member

I'm taking an upcoming Appleseed class and haven't shot a lot of prone since JROTC small bore. So, I'm older and fatter and want a good mat.

Dillon, voodoo, CED.., what say you?

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  2. erslll

erslll Hermiston OR Active Member

Midway for cheap and if you don't care about China made. Tab for great quality made in the USA. Triad and Primary Arms have good stuff too.

Don H likes this.
  3. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Midway definitely has the low prices!

Don H likes this.
  4. JustShoot

JustShoot Oregon . Hillsborito area Active Member

Midway Comp. Mat . those mats are good price but only thing is the ( mats with Black material ) on the top of mats . When the sun hits, it will cook/ Burn your skin when laying and shooting .
    (imho) , I would 'avoid all mats' with Black color materials on the up-surface you lay on .

Don H likes this.
  5. Gun Mechanic

Gun Mechanic Portland Active Member

Crosstac. Hands down. Built in bi-pod rail.

Don H likes this.
  6. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm interested in this, too.

If you are shooting Appleseed matches, you won't be using a bi-pod, but that may come in handy other times.

Don H likes this.
  7. MrSunday

MrSunday Seattle New Member

I just got a TAB Gear mat that I like very much. Small enough to roll up but padded enough for comfort.

Don H likes this.
  8. Tim K

Tim K Colorado Member

Right on. I've tried many, and this is by far the best if you ever plan to shoot with a bipod.

9. Reacher

Reacher Molalla Member

Cabela's has a good mat for around $80

Don H likes this.
  10. The Cheese

The Cheese somewhere special Member

I got a voodoo mat that I won at a comp and its not bad. Works pretty good, but I wish it was longer and a bit wider. But for the price I paid, I am happy with it

11. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

I know this is an old post, but here's my input for any others who may be following after. The Midway Competition Shooting is mat is far away the best bang for the buck. Pic of me and my Midway mat below.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/276544/midwayusa-pro-series-competition-shooting-mat

As has been said, the polymer material at the front and back of the mat does have a tendency to get quite hot underneath the blazing sun. To remedy this, AND because it's a good idea to have no matter what type of shooting mat you use, I employ a simple pair of Meuller brand vollyball elbow pads whenever I shoot at Appleseed or elsewhere. I think I got them at Sports Authority.

20150607_152056a_zpsar31f9ko.jpg

These will easily protect your elbows from heat, scrapes, rocks, etc., without breaking the bank. I've seen lots of other styles of elbow pads at Appleseed including full mil-spec yadda-yadda and what not. I like these.

Another thing I use is a fingerless anti-vibration glove on my left hand that I got from Harbor Freight Tools. Way cheaper than a standard shooting glove, and still has good padding that gives me a better platform when shooting. It provides better tack on the stock of the rifle than just my bare hand, especially on hot days when the palms start getting sweaty.

Don H likes this.