JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the only ammo you can buy for a S&W 500 is 500 Mag so buy default, all S&W 500's are 500 mag. I may be wrong though, Its been a while since I looked at them. I will say though its not something you take to the range and put a box of ammo through. You have that numb, tingly feeling in your hand after about 5 shots.

I don't have a .500 S&W so I know little about it.

I do have a .50 AE though.

Here are some specs;

.44, 240 gr (16 g) Bonded JSP* 1,500 ft/s (460 m/s) 1,200 ft·lbf (1,600 J)
.500 350 gr (23 g) JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point) 1,975 ft/s (602 m/s) 3,031 ft·lbf (4,109 J)

So the .500 has over 2x the energy.

.50 AE 325 gr (21 g) JHP 1,400 ft/s (430 m/s) 1,415 ft·lbf (1,918 J) Even at 100 yards this bullet still makes over 900ft-lbs of energy vs the .44 which is down to about 600 ft-lbs.

Info on "magnum", http://hunting.about.com/od/ammo/g/glossary_magnum.htm

While talking 44Mag and 500S&W, check the 460S&W. Alsmost the same energy as the 500S&W but with faster bullets, hence, flatter trajectory. From Wikipedia:
Smith and Wesson boasts that the .460 S&W is the highest velocity revolver cartridge in the world, firing bullets at 2330 ft/s. With Buffalo Bore's new loading, the .460 S&W can achieve nearly 2900 ft-lb of energy by driving a 360 grain bullet at 1900 ft/s.[3] For comparison .500 S&W Magnum offers slightly more energy at the muzzle, driving a 350 grain bullet at 1975 ft/s for a total of 3031 ft-lb.

+1 on the 460. no comparison between the S&W 500 and 44 mag. But the 460 is arguably more "powerful" with more muzzle energy. I was at WCA shooting when the dude next to me shot a 460. The flash/fireball and the booom was so big that I briefly lost vision and consciousness as I was aiming at my own target. I had to put down my weapon, back away from my booth, and wait for him to finish.

Hunting with 460SW is a blast, pun intended. You definitely want hearing protection. Else, after a couple of shots, you won't need it. :D

S&W did a great job with X frame. Many design features implemented make a literal "hand cannon's" recoil bearable.

+1 on the 460. no comparison between the S&W 500 and 44 mag. But the 460 is arguably more "powerful" with more muzzle energy. I was at WCA shooting when the dude next to me shot a 460. The flash/fireball and the booom was so big that I briefly lost vision and consciousness as I was aiming at my own target. I had to put down my weapon, back away from my booth, and wait for him to finish.

This...I have been asked not to fire my .460 at our local range when "others are there". It was a no-brainer for me when I studied the ballistics and price of ammo. I got mine for bear control when riding ATV's. I love it, I can muster 5-7" groups at 100yds open sights, to me that is just fine for a handgun.

It is a remarkable round!

And to answer your question...There is no comparison in the 44 and 500. The 44 will shoot like a 22 after firing the 500 (S&W).

Also, with the 460 you have caliber versatility, 45LC, 454 casull and 460 mag all from the same cylinder.

I bet that 600 Nitro would break your wrist if you tried to shoot it without a bench or bag support. Honestly I can't see how anything bigger then the SW 500 would be really be field usable.

Ok you win, but I'm going to keep looking. I bet some idoit made a 20mm handgun somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top