JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't subscribe to the Oregonian rag and I'm running out of paper for starting the woodstove. What to do? I called Staples looking for waste paper and they were clueless. I don't feel right about raiding those curbside newspaper deposit places because those go to charities. A search on Craigslist turned up nothing. The problem is everybody is so used to recycling nowadays that I can't find old newspapers anymore.

Ideas?

Get this, I just called the Oregon City Recyling place and asked if I could have 10-20 lbs of old newspaper and she very nicely said no. :D :confused: She suggested calling Willamette Week, Nickel Ads, etc for back issues.

You can't have donated stuff from the recyclers. :s0131:

I prefer using cardboard personally. If I use cardboard I can usually skip the paper and the kindling. I just get boxes from Christmas, work, or people moving. I've actually got too many since this year has been so warm.

I used to work for a furniture factory in the shipping department. We filled our cardboard dumpster quick. Now I work for a school district and we have recycle dumpsters with cardboard and paper in them every week. I'd recommend either starting good relationship with local business that sends or receives a lot of shipments in cardboard or just dumpster diving.;)

In our Wilderness Survivial series of courses we teach how to start a fire in a stove or in in the wild without having to depend upon any paper, lint, cotton balls, cardboard, store bought starter or any other item. It is quite liberating and empowering once people learn how to do this knowing you can start a fire anytime, anywhere with more than one method. Even in a downpour in a soaking wet Oregon/Washington Rain Forest - without the use of paper.

Got you curious yet?

I bought a new wood stove three years ago and have never used any fire starter in it including paper, cardboard, garbage none of that stuff - NEVER!

Just pick up a few free issues. Plus they aren't the only free "newspaper" type of item.
Personally, when I need some I bring the old newspaper home from work!

Go to Walmart..then hit the grocery store... they both have an ENTIRE racks of "magazine" Real estate Home Listing crap that is all FREEE.... Load it up man... take it all.. no one reads that crap anyways!!! :s0155:

Disclaimer.. "I DON'T CONDONE THE ABOVE BEHAVIOUR"....

Nickle ads, home buyer magazines, old phone books, Stock up in the summer so you'll never run out in the winter.

:p

Take a sharp knife and a piece of kindling, and cutting away from yourself, sliver match stick sized pieces, leaving the sliver attached at the end....They're called fuzz sticks...Go all around the stick shaving and leaving the shavings attached..Do this all the way around and all the way up 'til ya got what looks like a porcupine....That puppy will light a fire....

If your fire wood has a little pitch on it..scrape some off and put it on your fuzz stick and that puppy will start a fire in the rain....

If you're burning in an air tight stove....start a fire in the morning and let it roar.......I mean get that puppy howlin' like a space shuttle... That'll keep the creosote from building up...

***DISCLAIMER*** don't try that last suggestion if you haven't checked your chimney for a while..It will start a chimney fire if you have a creosote build up....******

If you have a chimney fire in an airtight...Just throw a 1/2 cup of water in the firebox and close the door, damper, and air supply..The steam should suffocate the chimney fire...If not.. throw in another 1/2 cup and make sure the stove is sealed ( check door, damper and air supply).....

I TOTALLY FORGOT....

IF you happen to live near a fast food joint... you get all the NAPKINS you could ever want......

Again... NOT CONDONED BEHAVIOR

:s0155:

Last one... IF you live near an Architect firm or Landscape Architect firm, chances are they have VERY large amounts of "waste" paper... just ask.. I'm sure they'll let you have all you would ever need.

Just buy a Sunday Oregonian. The ads and coupons will save you ten times what you paid, and you can still actually read it and learn things about the world. Or just read the comics.........................elsullo

Since leftist lies can be gotten free I don't see paying for them. Others can choose to keep the liers employed, that's fine. They won't get my money though.

Sure, it's a "skill" than one should learn. That said, dont' waste your time.
I have five cubes of WetFire in my seach and rescue pack and a good wind-proof lighter with backup matches and a flint match.
I've used wetfire, half of a cube, to light a fire with wet tinder on a snow bank in freezing rain during a SAR training exercise. My colleagues were still dicking aorund with their vaseline coated crap and homemade starters -most of them failed due to the nasty conditions.
I'm not as psychotic as I appear:
798129475_rNWXt-M.jpg
798129473_njQXa-M.jpg
798129482_RAfHy-M.jpg

<broken link removed>
http://www.rei.com/product/783689
http://www.rei.com/product/762946

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR