JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to try out some steel matches in my local small town in Oregon. Where do people normally buy holsters, spare mags, mag holders, etc? We have a small Sportsmans here, but they have very little. As of right now I am going to try some of their 22 LR matches with a S&W M&P 22 I have. I also just picked up a Canik TP9SFX which will be my comp pistol as I sort through what I like/dislike and determine how much I am into it.

A good holster can be had from this guy. I run his stuff exclusively:

Spare mags, mag holders and such are best acquired online. :)

I agree with Kruel J on needing to buy a holster in person. There is so much having to do with quality, fit, comfort, etc, that makes it a highly subjective purchase. Most people have boxes full of reject holsters!

The other items I buy online. Mostly Ebay as those items are known quality etc.

Have fun in your new hobby!!!

Thanks, unfortunately I don't see a holster on Cascadia for the Canik TP9SFX. I will look on eBay for some sore mags and mag holders.

How many mags do you typically need for a speed steel match?

How many mags do you typically need for a speed steel match?

Says here to bring 200rds. Or 150 if you hit each plate on the first shot. (Sorry, I don't shoot those matches, we don't have them here anymore)

"Each match is set up with 6 different stages consisting of 5 steel plates per stage. The competitor shoots each stage (string of 5 plates) 5 times from a set position and the best 4 strings, time wise, count for score." ARPC - Sports - Handgun - Speed Steel

So, maybe figure out how many it will take you to hit five plates and carry accordingly??? I'm not sure what the rules are gonna be. For instance IDPA only allows mags to be loaded to ten rounds. But somebody here will let you know for sure.

Says here to bring 200rds. Or 150 if you hit each plate on the first shot. (Sorry, I don't shoot those matches, we don't have them here anymore)

"Each match is set up with 6 different stages consisting of 5 steel plates per stage. The competitor shoots each stage (string of 5 plates) 5 times from a set position and the best 4 strings, time wise, count for score." ARPC - Sports - Handgun - Speed Steel

So, maybe figure out how many it will take you to hit five plates and carry accordingly??? I'm not sure what the rules are gonna be. For instance IDPA only allows mags to be loaded to ten rounds. But somebody here will let you know for sure.
Yeah I need to figure out how many times you are supposed to hit each plate and time between stages I guess.

Yeah I need to figure out how many times you are supposed to hit each plate and time between stages I guess.

I'm reading it as 25 times per stage. So whatever round count it takes to get to that. You reading it the same?

Boy, I wish one of the speed steel aficionados would check in!!!

Checking in...

First, don't buy anything.

Steel match rules vary a little by club and if they affiliated with a national steel organization or not. It is best to contact whoever runs the match to get information on their rules. Most follow similar rules to Steel Challenge.

Typically you can load the mags up. Most stages take 5 rounds per string and five strings. You want a couple extra rounds per string. You can do that with two 20 round mags or five 10 round mags.

You don't need a fancy holster for steel. It only needs to cover the trigger guard and reasonably retain the pistol when your at the firing line. I ran a budget injection molded holster for nearly a year. Many plastic holsters will fit other pistols good enough for matches. Your not running and gunning where you need a good fit and retention.

Back to not buying anything, attend a few matches and figure out what others are using.

if you're not drawing to fire, you might just find a middle to lower cost kydex option and buy it online....Then when you figure out what you actually want, go from there.
If the holster is just for competition and not drawing to fire, I wouldn't worry about having anything too snazzy.

Thanks for all the replies and info. Based on recommendations here I am going to go out and watch a competition to see how it all runs and talk to some of the folks that show up.

No idea on rules for competitions gear & such, but looks like century has one available for the TP9SFX. $60, plus ship.

Thanks for the link, from what I have read the only real holster requirements is that it holds it secure (kind of vague and up to interpretation) and covers the trigger, so just about any should work.

Reach out to the match director. Being your first time, they may allow you to shoot low ready instead of holstered.

Depending on your club. You may not be required to have your mags on your person. If it's the case that you do not need them in your body, which most clubs do not require, omit the magazine holsters and get a decent range bag to carry them around.

Other than that, I'd say any holster should suffice so long as it holds the pistol well enough to not fall out if you were to jump up and down, and it covers the trigger guard.

Bravo concealment makes nice kydex holsters for just about every popular pistol in creation. At around $50 it's a pretty good value.

Race holsters are faster, but they'll cost anywhere from $100-$300.

Thanks for the info Reno I appreciate it. I served with a guy that we called Reno, last I heard he was in the Roseburg area!
Nope not this Reno. Lol.

From my year of shooting speed steel now, I've learned it is pretty laid back discipline compared to other. No running and gunning with the other disciplines, still very safety minded. I did some 3 gun back in Nevada and some IDPA and a few other types before landing on speed steel. I had a lot of help with the rules and such getting started too so I try to pass it on when I can.

So far from what I've seen and experienced is that new shooters in speed steel are usually watched for a few matches, mostly to ensure they follow the safety rules over anything else. Gear is usually not something to cause concern unless it's blatantly obvious that it will cause safety issues. Something like wearing a baggy shirt loosely over the holster will draw the RSOs attention over the type of holster used. Most of the time it will be the squad you teamed on assisting you through the process not an RO. With that said if you know someone that you can tag along with or watch a match prior to trying it should be a great tool to getting a better idea of how things work.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top