JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At our speed steel matches at Tri-County Gun Club, all rimfire pistols start from the low ready and no requirement to using a mag pouch(s). In fact, a fellow squad buddy uses a nice pistol bag to transport his .22 pistol along with his mags. When I run a rimfire pistol, I prefer to use a holster in lieu of a gun case to transport it from stage to stage. Some folks don't want to carry the extra weight on their body, I don't mind the added weight.

It's recommended to have at least five mags. That way you can start each string with a fresh mag. With the rimfire's, I have at least 6 on tap as most .22 pistols only hold 10rds.
With a centerfire, you can get by with fewer mags as the capacity is usually much higher. As you get a few matches under your belt, you can adjust how many mags you use accordingly.

As far as ammo, I always bring double of whatever the match calls for. At TCGC, we typically run 6 stages but depending on the turnout, we may add another stage to ease the bottleneck and speed the match up some. So having extra ammo on hand to account for this is good practice. Also, folks at one time or another, show up to the match only to realize they forgot some or all of their ammo (cough, cough me). Luckily, my squad buddy had my back and I was able to shoot the match! So having some extra ammo on hand my help a fellow shooter get through the match if they come up short.

As I don't know the OP's skill level, I will add that some folks underestimate their accuracy and end up expending a lot of extra shots per target. This is how you can end up short on ammo while shooting the match. If you find yourself in that unfortunate situation, swallow your pride and simply let the RO know you want to "take a 30". Each stage a has a 30 sec max time to complete the stage. If you cannot finidh the stage within 30 seconds, then you are assessed a 30 sec. penalty. No use burning up ammo if you can't get it done in 30 secs. Take the 30 sec penalty and move on.

Another thing to consider with regards to ammo is some stages require 6 shots per string due to an extra target or less targets with more than on hit per target. So keep that in mind also.

Finally, lots of members here have a ton of combined experience with steel matches as well as other types of competitions. Feel free to pick my brain (or anyone else) with regards to speed steel matches. After all, I got my start shooting speed steel from a fellow member here on the forum and I been squadding with him for the past 4+ years. Thank you @Meridian7750!

Great info here Spookshack I really appreciate it. I think I will probably try to hit as many of the 22 matches as possible at first and will probably buy a holster as well.

Reading your post did make me think about ammo. I almost strictly buy CCI MiniMag 22 ammo, are there any restrictions on 22 ammo normally? Also for centerfire (9mm for me) do a lot of people just run some type of FMJ that runs well in their pistol? I haven't shot my Canik yet but have read several reviews where guys get decent accuracy and MV with win white box and a little better with Federal Champion 115gr, so I plan to run one of those unless there are restrictions for centerfire that would prohibit those?

There are no restrictions on ammo, rimfire or centerfire. Our match does have certain restrictions on caliber, due to added wear and tear on the steel plates. Most folks at our match prefer to feed their .22's CCI minimags, so you are good to go there.

I have no experience with the Canik, but I suspect it will run just fine with the run of the mill 115gr FMJ from Federal, Magtech/S&B, Fiocchi, etc.
Just make sure your chosen pistol/ammo combo is reliable.

There is nothing more frustrating than fighting with a gun at a match that is giving you issues. It really sucks the life of of you. Nobody wants to spend the match F'ing with a gun that won't run. The whole point of shooting speed steel is have fun, can't do that with a gun that is not reliable....

Last Edited:
Thanks a lot for all the info. I think the club around here shoots twice a month so I will probably go out to a match and watch and learn.

From my experience in the past, most new people to steel matches did not come to a match to only watch and learn. They came to watch, learn and shoot. It is a easy sport to show up and start participating right away. I usually saw 2-4 new shooters per match. Let the match director and squad know you are new and they will help with the details and getting you started safely.

From my experience in the past, most new people to steel matches did not come to a match to only watch and learn. They came to watch, learn and shoot. It is a easy sport to show up and start participating right away. I usually saw 2-4 new shooters per match. Let the match director and squad know you are new and they will help with the details and getting you started safely.

I can see myself wanting to shoot right away, that's helpful to hear.

We seem to be like minded folk. I picked up a TP9sfx just a few weeks ago to use for speed steel and USPSA. I like the gun, but it is rubbing on my thumb knuckle, so I will have to see how that plays out long run. You can actually see my skin and blood stuck to the gun. If I can't adjust my grip to remedy this I may have to sell it and look for something else. Bummer because everything else seems to be a lot more expensive.
IMG_20200305_174700.jpg IMG_20200305_174647.jpg

I went with the SmokyMtnConcealment competition holster. I ordered it with the Bladetech Tek-lok and a DOS adapter.
I like the holster a lot, but did not like the DOS adapter (so a waste of $10) because it was just too floppy. Pulling the gun from the holster it would want to angle out, and when holstered the gun pointed at my leg not straight down. Having the drop with the only attachment point high up at the belt just did not work well. I may try the BSPS BOSS DOH if I decide I want the gun lower as it seems more stable.
IMG_20200305_173446.jpg IMG_20200305_173456.jpg

I picked up 3 additional 20 round magazines from Prepper Gun Shop as they had them in stock and had the best price once you figured shipping in. The 20 round mags seem to be out of stock a lot op places.

Take a lot more ammo than you think you will need. I went to my 1st speed steel last weekend and was 1 mag short of running out by the end. I missed much more than I thought I would. Also don't forget a speed loader or your thumbs will hate you.

Ben Stoeger pro shop is the go to source for holsters,belts,mag pouches, and just about anything Competition related it looks like the comp tach international is available for the canik as is the unicorn holster both of which are great holsters.

We seem to be like minded folk. I picked up a TP9sfx just a few weeks ago to use for speed steel and USPSA. I like the gun, but it is rubbing on my thumb knuckle, so I will have to see how that plays out long run. You can actually see my skin and blood stuck to the gun. If I can't adjust my grip to remedy this I may have to sell it and look for something else. Bummer because everything else seems to be a lot more expensive.
View attachment 666554View attachment 666553

I went with the SmokyMtnConcealment competition holster. I ordered it with the Bladetech Tek-lok and a DOS adapter.
I like the holster a lot, but did not like the DOS adapter (so a waste of $10) because it was just too floppy. Pulling the gun from the holster it would want to angle out, and when holstered the gun pointed at my leg not straight down. Having the drop with the only attachment point high up at the belt just did not work well. I may try the BSPS BOSS DOH if I decide I want the gun lower as it seems more stable.
View attachment 666547View attachment 666548

I picked up 3 additional 20 round magazines from Prepper Gun Shop as they had them in stock and had the best price once you figured shipping in. The 20 round mags seem to be out of stock a lot op places.

Take a lot more ammo than you think you will need. I went to my 1st speed steel last weekend and was 1 mag short of running out by the end. I missed much more than I thought I would. Also don't forget a speed loader or your thumbs will hate you.
You can try to smooth that part of the gun out. I can't seem to replicate a grip that would do that, so maybe try some other grips. Is the grip really wide?

Good luck on the speed steel. I have never tried it, but it looks like a blast.:rolleyes:

View attachment 666554View attachment 666553

View attachment 666547View attachment 666548

Just keep shooting it. I have smaller bonier hands. Eventually it will callous over.

image.jpg

I am going to shoot it for a while and see. I think, like Reno said I'll get a callus soon enough.
I think part of it is I have a pretty high grip and my support hand pushes my thumb up into the tail. The tail is pretty long and wide and having a pretty pronounced bonny thumb knuckle exaggerates the rubbing.
IMG_20200305_185609.jpg

Also, I went with this mag holster from Blade-Tek and like it a lot.

It has the Tek-Loc mount which I like and with the center adjustment screw I can get it to hold pretty much any double stack magazine well enough.
I usually put two in the magazine holder, one my front pocket to load at make ready, and one more in my back pocket just in case. With 60 rounds at quick access and one not so quick in my back pocket I can't imagine running out on a stage of IDPA or speed steel. If you are doing USPSA you may want a bigger mag pouch as you will go through more magazines on each stage with administrative changes, but for IDPA 3 mags is fine as the stages usually have less targets than USPSA. To use the TP9sfx in IDPA you will have to get the 18 round mags or new base plates as the 20 round mags make the gun too long. For speed steel just load all your mags, put two in the pouch for fast changes and set the rest on the table for between set changes. I easily used one mag for 2 sets, so only ever needed 3 mags to finish a speed steel stage. Just don't forget to change mags between sets or you may run out. I did this twice last weekend and had to do an emergency reload while shooting. Just a stupid/noob mistake (you would think I would have learned after the 1st time, but no. I'm an idiot like that sometimes).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top