JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need some new boots. I would like to try Belleville out. I HATE buying boots without trying them on first. Looking for a brick and mortar store around the greater Portland area. Or, up around Tacoma, if it is right off I-5 and I can get a 53' trailer there. Portland would be best though.
Does anybody have any suggestions?

(Mods, sorry if this is not the right place? Feel free to move.)

I recently got a pair of Red Wing work boots from the dealer in Beaverton. They were spendy, but I'll be damned if I go through the pain something heavy dropping on my foot again.

But I guess after a cursory glance at the Belleville website you're looking for soldier boots.

As somebody who wore bellevilles for years (Army Infantry) I would try another brand. They have a long break in period and never fit right. The soles ALWAYS crack straight across the ball of the foot.
They have zero ankle support. Where it should be leather it's Gortex.
I ended up buying a set of Chippewas. If you get the one with the little flag emblem on the bottom laces it's made in the U.S.
http://www.amazon.com/Chippewa-Mens-Rugged-Handcrafted-Lace-Up/dp/B0036VN9WG

What model of Belleville boots are you looking for? There are a couple stores right outside the gate of Fort Lewis at exit 122. You could try them out there and see how you like them, although they are cheaper on post at the military clothing shop. I don't know where you'd put a 53' trailer, though

I appreciate all the responses.
I guess I am not stuck on Belleville. I would really prefer to buy American and these cost similar to the Chinese made big name brands.
I also heard that Belleville has a wider toe box than Danner. Danner used to fit me well. As I have gotten older I guess my feet are breaking down or something? My arches are still high but the balls of my feet and my toes are all splayed out.
I have had hand made boots (Whites) and various heavy duty stitch-down soled boots (including Danner and Chippewa). I do not really need heavy duty boots anymore. But my feet need to be bound tight or they hurt. Plus my poor knees need more cushion.
I want to try some of the modern(ish) direct attach soles with a more cushy, athletic feel.
I am in my 40's and have not owned a pair of sneakers in at least 25 years. It is boots or sandals for me.
So now I am shopping for new waterproof and insulated winter boots and figured, why not try something different?

Belleville got back to me. Central Point is it for Oregon. The Fox Hole in Lakewood is doable but they only list hot weather stuff.

I have liked Chippewa in the past. Excellent value for USA made boots. I will take a look at then again.

Redwing has their model 1444 that looks ok, except made in China. $200+ is too much for Chinese made boots. However, Black Friday and Cyber Monday are coming up. Maybe I will give the local Redwing store a call, see what they are doing for a sale?

If you're looking for cushion then definitely stay away from the bellevilles.
I prefer s stitch down sole over glue on. I've had a couple different glued boots.
Under armor valsetz were very comfortable. Maybe some of the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. I went through two pair in less than six months. Ended up returning them for my old standby. The merrel Moab.

The merrel Moab is comfortable and durable. I've been wearing that model of shoe for nearly a decade.

Nike combat boot. Very comfortable and durable. But good luck finding a retailer with it in stock so you can try it on. This boot stayed in one piece for a couple years.

Oakley combat boot was straight garbage. I would just skip them.

Well for the sake of closure ...

I bought a pair of East Ridge boots from Danner, at the Black Friday sale. I did not realize the made stitch down boots in a last with a wider toe box (851). So they fit great, are comfortable, relatively light, have 400 gram Thinsulate with Gortex, and are recraftable locally. Plus I got a smokin deal on them.

Thanks for the help!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top