JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm exceedingly pleased with my Salute steel, but I'm not sure you need AR500 if you're only going to be using it for cowboy action so there may well be some cheaper alternatives.

So I've been doing some looking. Turns out one of only 3 steel manufacturers of AR500 is Oregon Steel. Going to check out local steel houses to see what they will cut me some for.

pnspor, 223 at 25 yards doesn't sound too safe. I'm assuming you're giving that as an example.

what with todays' metal prices,it's gonna cost some bucks for steel targets. :( I'd check wih some of the honchos at our area shoots. Big Iron Buster posts on the wire,from Wolverton.So does Hellfire,his alter-ego so to speak.they can prollyhelp u out. Load'n Be Quick should know,prolly contact him thru the orygun cowboys website.

If you are hanging them on a stand made from rebar, or a similar stand, make sure the hole is 1/2". I made the mistake of buying some with smaller holes.

Most rifle rounds will go right through mild 1/2" steel plate. I'd pay up for stronger steel.

OP wanted targets for "cowboy action", shooting soft lead cast bullets at ~600 fps, these rounds bounce off the 1/4 mild steel plate leaving a very slight dimple.

I agree if you want to shoot jacketed bullets faster the 800fps you will want to spend some bucks.

I'll get a simple 12" AR500 for goin up to Brown's camp with the AR, but I need to get some practice steel like k7grc has that I can set up at the TCGC action pits.

I'm shooting .38 special with what Throckmorton calls Bunny Phart loads (125gn @ 600fps).

There was a post going a while ago about a group buy on some AR-500 plate but it seemed to peter out.
I have bought AR plate from the steel yard on 68th and Columbia blvd and built some targets in the past.
P9180006.jpg

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR