JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I normally don't hike much except when I visit my cabin property. How many members here engage in more regular hiking. Where are your favorite sparsely populated trails that are close enough to metro area for day access?

Edit: I am hoping for something with fairly steep elevation to mimic the hikes at my cabin. Down there the trail climbs about 700ft in the first 45 mins of hiking.

Last Edited:
We haven't had time to hike for the last few months.

We have a list of water fall hikes that we are checking off. Last Sept we did Ramona Falls.

I "hike" 1-2 days a weeks. I don't use trails though as it seems that they all have people parked at the trailheads and I go to get away from people. I have a few favorite logging roads on private timber that I frequent. Some of these require an annual permit. Many have significant gains in elevation. These road systems go on forever, have many different routes and I'm not restricted to a trail. If I find a patch of timber or a game trail I want to check out, I can peel off the road and wander freely. Very rarely do I encounter people, mostly a logger or log truck, outside of hunting seasons. There are less bags of dog poop tossed along my routes than you would find on marked trails and I see far more wildlife this way. If you decide this kind of thing will work for you, you can find lots of timber land with 30 minutes to an hour of the metro area.

What is this metro area you speak of?
It looks kind of like this

56181F05-0562-45FA-BC75-F9E33405A05F.jpeg

I know there are lots of public hiking areas in and around Portland, Forest park, Hoyt Arborium, Tryone state park are a few that come to mind . There must be some south like Champooig or something. Around here I don't put much effort into hiking per-say I just walk the dog a different mile or two every day. If I'm going on a hike it means I'm going somewhere to see something like a water fall. The rest of the time it's just walk about.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top