Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

When was the last time you got this close to moose?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kevatc, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

Spending sometime in southeast Wyoming seeing family. Went hiking with my spry 72 year old mom. As we headed down the mountain we stopped to see 5 bulls. I was within 10-30 yards of them. Obvious they are used to people because they could've cared less we were even there.

moose3.jpg

moose2.jpg

moose1.jpg

moose4.jpg

2. FourTeeFive

FourTeeFive PNW Washington State Active Member

I've heard they can be dangerous. Depends a lot on the season obviously.

3. Kevatc

I was quite cautious as I moved. They were all in eat mode and were just tearing into willows in a marshy area.

FourTeeFive and (deleted member) like this.
  4. safetyman

safetyman Clark County, WA Active Member

Back in 2001 I went to a family reunion in Anchorage. It was late fall/early winter and had just snowed the night before. Riding around East HS on a cousin's bike I rounded a corner of a building right into a cow and her calf. Must have been less than 10 yards. Scared the crap outta me...and them. She gave a grunt and they high-tailed it. I did the same.

5. asorum

asorum Valdez, Alaska Member

IMG_4153.jpg

Here's a shot of a youngster that wasn't too afraid of an audience. We have few moose stompings every year, but hitting one with the car is a greater risk...

IMG_4153.jpg

6. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

About three days ago. Hazards of working in Alaska. Walk to post office? Moose on trail. Go for a drive? Moose on side of road. All kinds of fun...

7. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

That's Moose for you. Not too much gets them excited. I would still love to put a big fella down. Moose is fantastic. Great pics!

8. wyojeeper

wyojeeper Lebanon, MO Member

Where in Wyoming was that? I spent a few years around Laramie and saw a few up in the Snowy Range Mountains west of town.

9. Kevatc

That's exactly where I am. These moose were about 1/2 to 3/4 mile from Sugar Loaf. Real close to where Libby Creek runs right next to the highway.

10. wyojeeper

wyojeeper Lebanon, MO Member

I know right where your talking about. Very cool.