JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here I be, sitting here reading through the forums, when I get the notion to check the expiry date of my CPL. I knew it was getting close to renewal time, so I checked. Expires 03/04/2019. Tomorrow I know where I'll be going. Talk about cutting it close. LOL

Mine will expire in 2021 after 50 consecutive years. I kept mine even when it wasn't necessary. When I was 16 I was authorized to Carry Concealed because I was a Reserve Deputy for Pierce County,so I guess that means I've been Authorized for VERY close to 54 years!!! :):):)

Clackamas county used to send out notices.. like 25 years ago. They don't any more.. I had one lapse by a couple months but they let that slide.
I put a reminder in my phone just last week so it doesn't happen again.

I did not get any notifications before my CPL was going to expire. in the mail. I took it out my wallet every few months and saw when it was going to expire. I renewed about two before my CPL was going to expire. I am sure quite few people are carrying expired CPLs right now too, o_O

Mine expires this summer. Just checked that a week or so ago. I know WA County is supposed to send a letter, and I updated my adress when I moved last year, but I don't want to forget just in case the letter somehow doesn't get to me.

It's the Old story, people just ain't taking Responsibility :mad::mad::mad: for their actions and it's too bad but they have nobody to claim but themselves!

On another note WA used to send out notices but they don't any more.
As of August 2018 they passed a law requiring that whatever department you got your Cpl from has to send out notices either by email if you gave them that, or to your mailing address if that is what you gave them. That renewal notice law went into effect 8/1/2018 in Washington State. My local county sheriff's department verified it when I checked with them. So get them your mailing address or email. I preferred to use my mailing address because electronic stuff can get glitchy. :)
Section 9 b towards the bottom:
RCW 9.41.070: Concealed pistol license—Application—Fee—Renewal.
"(b) Beginning with concealed pistol licenses that expire on or after August 1, 2018, the department of licensing shall mail a renewal notice approximately ninety days before the license expiration date to the licensee at the address listed on the concealed pistol license application, or to the licensee's new address if the licensee has notified the department of licensing of a change of address. Alternatively, if the licensee provides an email address at the time of license application, the department of licensing may send the renewal notice to the licensee's email address. The notice must contain the date the concealed pistol license will expire, the amount of renewal fee, the penalty for late renewal, and instructions on how to renew the license."

Last Edited:
Mine expires 09-06-2022.
I don't carry often 'cause of my job...but I will continue to renew my license , as it falls under the
"Better to not need it and have it , than need it and not have it " kinda of thinking.
Andy

I always hang the envelope for each new CPL issued on the interior of the safe door, as a reminder.
Regarding the supposed notice getting sent my way, that didn't happen. Never has. Likely due from my not knowing.
Tomorrow I'll ask and make it so I get the notice. The late fee adds another $10, which I was late once. It's just more of an inconvenience when it gets to that point. On another note, I think the CPL should be lifetime issue, bearing "all clear", why do I have to go through this all the time? Keep It Simple. Same for the Drivers License. Unless I change address, or a Negative towards my CPL standings, which will not happen. Give a Rigid card that lasts. Laminate them!!! But who am I to say?

This was a great thread just to get us to open our wallets and check. I'm a few years out yet but I did let it lapse once. Not the kind of thing I look at very often

I think the better question is, "why does your cpl expire?"

And the answer is quite simple, it's a money grab legislating your right into a privilege and then selling it back to you in the form of a permit. Complete and total horse siht is what it is, the idea that you are a law abiding citizen and have to apply to conceal, then magically after 5 years you have to apply again even though if you were a felon your CPL would have already been void.

I was kinda surprised to get a notice:D
full.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR