JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well now. Although I've owned multiple .223's, both bolt action and single shot, that were/are extreme tack drivers, I'll not mention them individually.

But in what I consider "big game" rifles, the most accurate one I've ever owned is my old Ruger 77, .30-06, tang safety, that I bought new in 1977. From the day it was new, 3/4" groups at 100 yards were a regular occurrence. I've owned many more M77's and Mark II's since. Although hunting accuracy is acceptable, none compared to the old tang safety model.

Ironically, this old rifle sits in my safe, and I've probably never shot it in 20+ years.

Oh...I just remembered another old gun that shot sub-minute groups. An ugly old Remington 788 in 7mm/08.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
This is from the gun I gave away for a graduation present.
Ruger 77 MKII shooting factory Remington Core-Lokt 150gr at 100 yards.
Say what you will about Remington ammo, but I've always found it to be consistent and accurate.

IMG_20160324_0002.jpg

This is from the gun I gave away for a graduation present.
Ruger 77 MKII shooting factory Remington Core-Lokt 150gr at 100 yards.
Say what you will about Remington ammo, but I've always found it to be consistent and accurate.

View attachment 284607

Orygun, I like that. I had a Ruger m77 tanger that shot like that. The only reason I got rid of it is because I found the pre 64 model 70 270 fwt I was searching for. I didn't need 2 270's, so I stupidly sold the tanger. It was a great rifle and loved the green box ammo:

Good glass bedding always helps a rifle shoot to its full potential:

I used to have a pretty good shooting Ruger m77 mkII 338 win mag too. I can't say enough good about the 77 rifles. They are damn good (but a little heavy), but I've since moved on to the older model 70's for most of my hunting needs..

005-53.jpg 002-89.jpg 009-21.jpg

@bsa1917hunter
I've had pre-64 Mod 70s and even a Kimber Montana (should have been great, but turned out to be a BIG mistake) and nothing lights my fire like a good Ruger. The worst Ruger we've owned is my wife's Compact and it shoots better than many rifles. (you'll have to pry that one out of her cold, dead fingers cuz it's her favorite!)
I can't fault the old Winchester train of thought. I love them. Very few guns evoke the kind of emotion of an old Winchester... (I have a couple of 94s, cuz every gun guy HAS to) but my hunting rifle is a tool. I use tools daily and won't keep one that I don't have faith in. I have utmost faith in my Rugers. Doesn't mean I don't spend money with Timney and Hogue, though.:p

@bsa1917hunter
I've had pre-64 Mod 70s and even a Kimber Montana (should have been great, but turned out to be a BIG mistake) and nothing lights my fire like a good Ruger. The worst Ruger we've owned is my wife's Compact and it shoots better than many rifles. (you'll have to pry that one out of her cold, dead fingers cuz it's her favorite!)
I can't fault the old Winchester train of thought. I love them. Very few guns evoke the kind of emotion of an old Winchester... (I have a couple of 94s, cuz every gun guy HAS to) but my hunting rifle is a tool. I use tools daily and won't keep one that I don't have faith in. I have utmost faith in my Rugers. Doesn't mean I don't spend money with Timney and Hogue, though.:p

I hear you my friend. I've had many rifles, but none of them have had the mojo or "soul" (as they say sometimes), like the pre 64 model 70 has. I've never had any type of failure with a good ol pre 64 model 70. To me, they are as close to a custom rifle as I'll ever get. I know for a fact they were each checked for function and accuracy before they left the factory. You don't/never hear/heard of bad ones getting out to the public like you do with some of the mass produced rifles now days. I've had many of the new Winchester model 70's as well and the thought of a model 70 being made in Portugal really makes my stomach turn. However, If you like built like a tank and rugged as hell, give me the Ruger m77. I love the Ruger 77's: tangers, round tops, MKII's and Hawkeyes. Heck, even the American is a good/great rifle. I have an American 22 WMR that is one of my favorite rimfire rifles and it is amazingly accurate. Also as far as putting a Timney in a 77. Nope, not me. The m77 MKII trigger is the easies to fine tune. A little polishing, stoning, and lighter spring is all it takes to get one down to a nice hunting weight of 2.5 pounds. My 338 was one of my favorite elk rifles and I sold it after I bought 2 pre 64 model 70 Alaskans. I actually kind of miss the od Ruger because it shot very well and it was a nice rifle in every regard, except it was heavy:

006-23.jpg 009_zpsf8adba58.jpg Image023-1.jpg

I don't know that I'd consider this a "big game" rifle per se, but it seems it might fit in here.

Just a Remington 700 ADL from Bi-Mart, came with an inexpensive scope mounted to it for $359. Got a Nikon Buckmasters II from Bi-Mart for $146 and got some Weaver rings from Sportsman's Warehouse, IIRC they were about $50 or thereabouts. Still using the bases that came with it. Nothing has been done to the gun, no glass bedding or anything of the sort. The trigger is super crappy Remington and seems to break at about 478lbs (it needs a trigger bad).

Off the bench with factory Federal Gold Medal Match pushing 175gr Sierra Match Kings it will make one-hole five-shot groups all day every day.

Apologize, the cel phone pics are almost as bad as the trigger.
20160327_132430_zpsn4bt7lni.jpg

20151126_130452_zpsmbp8yjzx.jpg

I don't know that I'd consider this a "big game" rifle per se, but it seems it might fit in here.

Just a Remington 700 ADL from Bi-Mart, came with an inexpensive scope mounted to it for $359. Got a Nikon Buckmasters II from Bi-Mart for $146 and got some Weaver rings from Sportsman's Warehouse, IIRC they were about $50 or thereabouts. Still using the bases that came with it. Nothing has been done to the gun, no glass bedding or anything of the sort. The trigger is super crappy Remington and seems to break at about 478lbs (it needs a trigger bad).

Off the bench with factory Federal Gold Medal Match pushing 175gr Sierra Match Kings it will make one-hole five-shot groups all day every day.

Apologize, the cel phone pics are almost as bad as the trigger.
View attachment 288595

View attachment 288596

Better hang on to that one my friend. That is a keeper!!! Kind of reminds me of my FN PBR XP 300 WSM. I should have never sold that rifle!!!! It was a shooter too. This was a 5 shot group with good ol 165gr. btsp Hornady interlocks:

10 shot groups looked like this most days:

I also ran a cheap azz Nikon buckmaster scope, but it was the 4.5-14x40, which I found to track like a blood hound. It was a great scope that got me out past 850 yards with ease. Rifle had a 20 moa base which helped too:

I remember shooting with a buddy at 160 yards. He was already set up at that range so I figure what the hell. He was shooting a minty pre 64 model 70 300 H&H and doing surprisingly well. His groups fell apart after about 5 shots though, while my rifle kept chugging away:

Good times though....

001-25.jpg 009-20.jpg 005-30.jpg 002-43.jpg

Last Edited:
A .30-06, built by old time Portland gunsmith, Wes Reynolds.
Built on a commercial Mauser action, glass bedded action, free floated barrel!
A 6mm Remington, also built by Wes Reynolds! Czech commercial Mauser action, nice butter knife bolt! Also, bedded and free floated barrel, much like '06. The 6mm is a little bit more accurate than .30-06 but I consider it a marginal big game caliber.

Not on thread but I have two .223/5.56's that are the real accuracy champs here! A Kimber of Oregon M-84 and Colt HBAR. Both are one holers at 100m.

Last Edited:
@bsa1917hunter Was that Hogue stock pillar or full length bedding block? Really like the looks of that gun.

orygun, the stock is a Hogue with the pillars. Not the full aluminum bedding block. This rifle had the old style trigger that most of us Winchester guys love for their simplicity and ruggedness. This rifle was an excellent example of FN Herstal when they were putting out some great stuff. Basically just a slightly worked over Winchester model 70. Here are a few pictures that may help:

I actually liked the Hogue stock. It was pretty comfortable shooting.

002-18.jpg 006-11.jpg 012-4.jpg 001-20.jpg 1001111644.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews