JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys. Just wondering what your most accurate hunting rifle is and what you had to do to get it that way. I glass bed all of my rifles, as I feel it is the foundation to a good shooting platform. I also fine tune my handloads to suit my accuracy needs. I recently sold my most accurate rifle and may be having some sellers remorse. Ha ha... The rifle was a CZ 550 American chambered for the 9.3x62mm cartridge. I shot it at the range quite often and used it for elk hunting. It was by far my most accurate hunting rifle:

That 10 shot group was lucky, as most of the 5 shot groups I fired with the rifle looked like this:

Let's see some of your accurate big game hunting rifles. I know you guys have some great shooting Tikka's, Remington 700's, Sako's, and model 70's...

1118120922_zps51f9790f.jpg IMG_0583_zps9d3614f8.jpg 003-71.jpg 002-86.jpg 001-97.jpg

Ruger gunsight scout in .308.

Puts the boolits right where my scope shows it will.

I'll have to take it to the range and get some groupings. I've never needed it for anything over 150yards but I'll try 200 and 300 as well as a 100 yard group.

It shoots mil surp and hunting loads about equally well.

Cool Joe. Those Ruger scouts are nice looking rifles. One of my buddies does all of his big game hunting with his old 308 Winchester. You get a lot of bang for your buck with that cartridge..

Damn, kind of a rough crowd here. How about any accurate varmint rifles. Here's how my old Ruger m77 vt/target shoots. It's a good rat rifle.:

Let's see some good shooting rifles...... BB guns, AR's... Don't make me beg.... Ha ha...

IMG_0616_zpsahv9llhe.jpg

My most accurate rifle is my Savage Model 12 VLP DBM .243 win with a Mueller 4-16X 50mm Mil dot scope. Dime sized groups with hand loads at 100 yards depending on the wind.

The rest of my rifles can only out shoot me. except my M-1 Carbine it shoots min of bad guy so about a 4-5" group at 100 yards.

Mine is a savage model 12 with a Lothar walther barrel and a bushnell 6500 2.5X16 scope in .243 win,can stay on a 1" dot at 200yrds.

A lot of guys shooting Savage rifles here. I know they are accurate sob's. I've had my azz handed to me a couple times by guys shooting savage and the el-cheapo stevens 200 even.... Thanks for sharing guys. I'll keep working on you to take some pictures of those targets... Ha ha...

I'm sure my rifle is far more accurate than I am!!
I never do it justice.

I have a Remington 700 VTR in .308.
I just put it in a Magpul Hunter stock and have a Timney 510 to put in it before my next outing.

Hopefully those two things help, now I just need to do my part

Most accurate? The one I gave away! My oldest nephew received it for his high school graduation present. It's the rifle I'm shooting in my profile or avatar or whatever you call it.
My birthday present to me one year was a 3/16" three shot group. I kept that target.

View attachment 283028 :DGot a Coyote rifle that shoots good with the right loads....

Thanks for posting the target picture. That's a good representation of what groups look like while developing/searching for a good load. My buddies sometimes don't get that. They think you can just throw something together and it's going to shoot like what you buy in the store. I think I have a target laying around somewhere that is similar with a 5 shot group from my 375 H&H African big game rifle:

IMG_0299_zpszuq63wpg.jpg IMG_0303_zpsjbhxo1lm.jpg IMG_0302_zpsy2uad58w.jpg IMG_0279_zpsodma0ca7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rem 7mm Mag
Simple, powerful, accurate , distance , reliable nothin fancy but gets the job done
Con: sounds like a damn cannon when fired :) so don't miss.
dsc_482496.jpg

Rem 7mm Mag
Simple, powerful, accurate , distance , reliable nothin fancy but gets the job done
Con: sounds like a damn cannon when fired :) so don't miss.
View attachment 283150

Cool, more info on the rifle. I'm a "rifle loony". Just got to know. Looks like it has a pretty short barrel for a 7mm rem mag. Looks like it's in a Hogue stock. I used to have a 7mm rem. It liked RL25 powder and 160gr. Nosler partitions. I made my longest shot with that rifle, using the 162gr. Hornady BTSP interlocks. The mulie went down at the shot. The 7mm can be pretty impressive.

My .308 Ruger American was pulling off MOA (the groups are in the below mess, LOL) the first time I shot it after sighting it in. It took a while to find which factory loads it liked. Cor-Lokt and SST's were the tightest.

I took a buck with it 1.5hrs into opening day 2-yrs. ago. One shot, one kill. ;)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Well it would have to either be the Remington 700 in 7mm Mag or a Pre WWII (1939) Mannlicher Shoenauer in 6.5X57 Both are tack drivers.
Hmm, cant find a pic of the 7mm Mag but here is the MS
PIC_0229-1.jpg

I wish my old 30-06 shot like this all the time, but I'll be honest, this was a lucky 5 shot group!!!! :

It usually shoots close to 1 moa with hunting ammo (handloads):

013_zpsaa2b4d1e.jpg IMG_0275_zpsglfipjjb.jpg IMG_1226_zps8a84431b.jpg

andys-hawken.jpg
My most accurate rifle that I own is my .54 caliber Hawken Rifle copy.
I would hunt any game in North America with it.
It has taken grouse , deer , black bear and elk.
Out of all the guns I own, I shoot it the most.
My one load for it is 80 grains of 2F , a .15 patch and a .530 round ball.
Lube is spit if target or shooting at a match , bear grease or tallow if hunting.

Regarding accuracy , at 25 yards I can split a playing card , edgewise .
At 50 yards I can hit bottle caps.
Out to 100 yards , gongs sized about the same size as a dessert plate are not safe.
For where I live and hunt 100 yards is a long shot. And all of my animals have been taken at 100 yards or less.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews