JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I realized I had about 4 different pistols in my nightstand safe for home defense.

This was in case a normal bad guy broke in.. or a bear.. or a small gang.. or a lightly armored vehicle.

I'm using a CZ SP-01 w/ a TLR-1s... I'm mainly worried about over penetration or I'd be using something in 10mm.

So what pistol is pulling home defense duty for you? Why? What's it wearing?

Yup, a 1911 SXE rides the night stand with a Finix 40 Lumin light. There is also a Mod 97 12 gauge loaded with #8 bird shot when in urban settings! When home, it' loaded with 00 buckshot, and the SXE gets swapped for a 10 MM variant of the 1911!:)

home defense.jpg

Loaded with #4 buckshot, I got neighbors.

edit to add: I also have a Walther PPQ in a quick access box.

Cz p10c and an ar15 with 55gr ball ammo. Eventually ill probably look for something else as far as ammo for the ar15. It's just nearby in case I had like zombies...or flock of tweakers broke in.

Nightstand gun is whatever I'm currently carrying. These days it's an M&P Shield 45 with Trijicon nights, two seven round recharges and a Fenix 960 lumen flashlight.

Figure if I need more than 21 rounds of Federal HST's, then I've most assuredly failed at home security...

Series '70 Government model Colt in .45 ACP
Savage 330 20 gauge over and under or my 20 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster....

And before some folks give me flak for using a bird gun with 28 inch barrels as a HD gun....
You gotta remember , that most of my long guns have 36 inch or longer barrels...so something with a 28 inch barrel feels and handles kinda like a "carbine" to me.... Plus I can hit really well and often with those two guns...:D
Andy

10" .300 BLK SBR. It's my only .300, and it's only for HD, and it only shoots subsonic 220-grain ammunition.

It wears an EoTech, a TLR-4, and a Silencerco Octane .45 can, and it lives in a wall-mounted lock made for a patrol car.

This works for me for a couple of reasons:
1) I have a few acres, some wooded, some landscaped, and can easily be looking at a 100-yard shot in most directions.
2) The house is long and open, with 2 30-yard spans.
3) We get critters. Opossums and coyotes have both been on the porch, have both gotten tangled up with the dog, and the .300 has been nice to end the ill-fated scenarios from an animal welfare standpoint, relatively quietly.

I will likely ditch the Eotech for iron night sights, as the Eotech was just sitting around...anybody have any suggestions?

Currently it's a 1911 next to me in bed. The one I tend to keep there has a laser sight on it for my old eyes. In corner is a PCC, Kel-Tec S2K in 40. Prefer it since it has a light with a pressure switch in case I wake up with the power is dead and it's really dark. Also it's so damn short and light it's surprisingly maneuverable for a rifle. As soon as I get around to getting a couple more rails for the TNW it in 10mm will replace the KT. Still have one "house shotgun" Win 1300 but it's a safe queen now. Seriously looking at the 930's. Every time someone here buys one I really want to try one.
When we are sitting watching TV I tend to keep a small 9mm sitting there on the table between us. Other night they had a full blown shootout 3 or 4 blocks up the road from us. Damn neighborhood keeps getting worse. After that I started keeping Wife's Beretta .32 on the table next to her chair when she's up with me.
As for over penetration I have never gone for this. For one the chances of me needed to shoot anyone in the house are VERY low. If it happens most everything I keep will go through walls if I miss. If I have to shoot someone it means I need them stopped now, not later, so I take that chance. This is a too each his own. Many worry about it and I don't generally try to talk them into my point of view on it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews