JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I realized I had about 4 different pistols in my nightstand safe for home defense.

This was in case a normal bad guy broke in.. or a bear.. or a small gang.. or a lightly armored vehicle.

I'm using a CZ SP-01 w/ a TLR-1s... I'm mainly worried about over penetration or I'd be using something in 10mm.

So what pistol is pulling home defense duty for you? Why? What's it wearing?

This right here is the exact reason that I consolidated HG calibers to one (40S&W) When you get older you can't think as fast as you used to, when you're trying to fit a double stack magazine into a single stack gun you spend more time thinking about why the hell isn't this working and you could be dead..:eek:

Shotgun - loaded alternately with slugs and buckshot.

I have no worries about home invasion - I just need something that could deal with a feral dog, coyote, bear or cougar coming out of the darkness when I step outside to see what tripped the motion detector lights. Never seen anything but deer, but I know coyote, bear and cougars are out there, and bear have been within 100 feet of the house (seen the scat numerous times).

Just the same, even when it is dark, I almost always go outside unarmed.

M&P 40 full size with light/lazer combo in a bedside quick access safe. On the wife's side, Ruger SP101 loaded with .38's Would love to add a shotlock vault to bring a shotgun into the bedroom at some point, just haven't done it yet. Got a Mossberg 500 and 590A1 both available and ready to go as HD guns at that point.

Oh, and the daily carry gun is elsewhere in the house, secure and concealed, but readily available should I be away from the bedside guns.

We live on land and have cows, partial pasture, partial wooded, no neighbors super close. Currently on my side of the bed is a CZ Scorpion evo carbine loaded with 30 147gr speed gold dots, wearing a streamlight polytac. When I come up with the funds, it'll be getting a red dot of some kind (aimpoint pro or trijicon mro).

On the girlfriends side is a GP100 with 6 .357 mag 125gr Hornady xtps and another streamlight polytac.

590 with a G30S in a quick access safe.

799623F1-7E45-4FC2-A637-54A8B62EDE1D.jpeg

M&P 45 w/TLR-1 in the nighstand and extra fenix flashlight, 870 on the bedside and whatever gun I had on me that day on the dresser.

I used to keep several Glock 22s with TLR1s in various locations around the house. Now that I have a family, I get home and lock up my duty gun and replace it on my hip with something else. Usually a Sig P226 with a X300 attached.

I have a lockbox upstairs and downstairs, each with an M&P9 in them for the wife while she is home alone.

4566 on the nightstand, 4506, 686+ and a 10-7 play backup. All 4 pistols carry hornady self defense rounds. Also keep a 5.55AR by the nightstand and a maverick 88 loaded with #6 birdshot handy. Neighbors are a hundred yards off...

Right now, it's a basic GI-style 1911 .45 full of Gold Dots, with a 10.3" AR pistol carrying a 450-lumen Olight weaponlight, green-beam Lasermax, RDS and ninety rounds of M855 or better under construction.

10" .300 BLK SBR. It's my only .300, and it's only for HD, and it only shoots subsonic 220-grain ammunition.

It wears an EoTech, a TLR-4, and a Silencerco Octane .45 can, and it lives in a wall-mounted lock made for a patrol car.

This works for me for a couple of reasons:
1) I have a few acres, some wooded, some landscaped, and can easily be looking at a 100-yard shot in most directions.
2) The house is long and open, with 2 30-yard spans.
3) We get critters. Opossums and coyotes have both been on the porch, have both gotten tangled up with the dog, and the .300 has been nice to end the ill-fated scenarios from an animal welfare standpoint, relatively quietly.

I will likely ditch the Eotech for iron night sights, as the Eotech was just sitting around...anybody have any suggestions?

Hey, Erock! Like to see a photo of the cop lock box!

Why the 9mm AR platform? Why not just the handgun? The velocity improvement is minimal and it seems like you lose mobility.
I can't answer for Jordan but the reason I went with a 9mm carbine is controlability, capacity, and I wanted something my wife could easily use if I wasn't there.

Btw the velocity gains between a 4" pistol and 16" carbine is not insignificant, it's 200+fps in most cases. BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: 9mm Luger Results

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top