JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You guys are so funny thanks for everyone's input like everyone's post if you can ☺ it's all in good fun

Get used to it - smart a$$ comments are the norm on pretty much every thread, regardless of topic. I may have made a few myself over the years :rolleyes: You'll always get good info mixed in as well.

I've owned several Beretta 92/96 series guns - they're great pistols. I think the main issue is some think of them as a bit big and heavy for a carry gun, but that is a very individual issue since what may be too big for one person isn't too big for another. To me, the Beretta's are more of a 'classic' gun, like the 1911, though I wouldn't put it in the same league. I like that they are DA/SA, I'm not a big fan of the safety, but Wilson Combat can turn any 92/96 into a decocker only model if you want to spend the $$. As far as the rail, some purists would say it's not necessary, but with so many folks wanting to use a gun for home defense, it seems a decent idea to have a rail to mount a light and/or laser if that floats your boat.

And .40 SW is a different topic altogether. Some people love it, some hate it, some are on the fence. I happen to like .40 and own several .40 guns, probably always will. One big selling point on .40 for me was right after Sandy Hook, I could scarcely find 9mm or .45 for a long time, but .40 was on the shelves for months - I could have stocked up, but at the time, I had nothing to shoot it. I've since changed my mind about that and do enjoy shooting .40 My current bedside gun is an M&P 40.

So I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with the Beretta's, whether 92 or 96. It's the right gun for some, wrong gun for others. Same thing can be said for Glock, Sig, S&W, etc.

And now back to your regularly scheduled smart-a$$ comments....:p

Last Edited:
I have to add about the Berettas - the Wilson Combat models that have been upgraded with certain features and finishes, takes a good gun and makes it outstanding!

Get used to it - smart a$$ comments are the norm on pretty much every thread, regardless of topic. I may have made a few myself over the years :rolleyes: You'll always get good info mixed in as well.

I've owned several Beretta 92/96 series guns - they're great pistols. I think the main issue is some think of them as a bit big and heavy for a carry gun, but that is a very individual issue since what may be too big for one person isn't too big for another. To me, the Beretta's are more of a 'classic' gun, like the 1911, though I wouldn't put it in the same league. I like that they are DA/SA, I'm not a big fan of the safety, but Wilson Combat can turn any 92/96 into a decocker only model if you want to spend the $$. As far as the rail, some purists would say it's not necessary, but with so many folks wanting to use a gun for home defense, it seems a decent idea to have a rail to mount a light and/or laser if that floats your boat.

And .40 SW is a different topic altogether. Some people love it, some hate it, some are on the fence. I happen to like .40 and own several .40 guns, probably always will. One big selling point on .40 for me was right after Sandy Hook, I could scarcely find 9mm or .45 for a long time, but .40 was on the shelves for months - I could have stocked up, but at the time, I had nothing to shoot it. I've since changed my mind about that and do enjoy shooting .40 My current bedside gun is an M&P 40.

So I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with the Beretta's, whether 92 or 96. It's the right gun for some, wrong gun for others. Same thing can be said for Glock, Sig, S&W, etc.

And now back to your regularly scheduled smart-a$$ comments....:p

Way to commit.... etrain16. :rolleyes:

:D

There's some chatter on this thread about the 92's being too big and clunky.
I find them sleek for their size, and very ergomatic, which I admit is odd due to my stupid tiny hand size! Maybe it's easier to use the slide mounted controls because my thumbs are so short?!?!o_O

At first I was like?, oh Brita's
brit.jpg

And then I was like ohhh Bretta, Eduardo..:)
galeria5.jpg

The simple fact that Uncle Sam chose to buy the thing as a $^&&*$%^&$ 'replacement' for the Colt M1911A1 was the sure-fire guarantee that I was NEVER going to own one.

And I never did.

After the Colt M1911 came along, no other handgun needed to have been invented.

YMMD.

tac

How is the Beretta series any worse in weight than a Hi Point .45ACP handgun? ;)

the 92 series is similar sized to the Ruger P series, which is also just as sturdy, reliable, and relatively heavy. Consider that they were designed for full size service handgun requirements by military, they do have the beefiness, maybe clunkier feeling, and reliable service as far as I know.

They are no conceal carry pieces that is for sure though :rolleyes:

The difference in $$ makes all the difference.

Hi point JHP .45ACP is 35oz, Beretta 96 is 33.3oz; 1.7 oz difference... that's unloaded for both of them though. Believe me, its weird, but the Hi point only feels worse because of how all the mass is up top while the Beretta and similar pistols have some weight in their frames.... Really, I feel that for the money, the Hi Points are decent; it could be worse, they could be like Star Arms or Raven guns.... my Ruger P85 is 32oz unloaded... my dad's .40 SW40VE is 26oz, but it is a striker fired polymer framed conceal carry piece.

EDIT: I'm really surprised that people complain about a Beretta's weight when it is still barely lighter than a Hi Point handgun, and probably has different ergonomics. I am no fan of the Hi Point handgun's grip, but it works great as a grip on the carbine (same shape/design of grip).... I prefer the P85 grip or any of the Hi Power/1911 styled grips.... no fan of the Glock grip though.... not much a fan of SW40VE grip either.

If they are wearing out faster and cracking ( I have no experience with the 96) I would assume because of the .40 cal round just wearing out the gun faster?
I mean if a .40 cal glock wears out faster compared to a 9mm, I'd assume the same with the Beretta but what do I know lol.

I have a compact 92FS-G (It is a G model now so I call it FS-G;)) and I love it and I have yet to have any issues, I have probably 500 rounds through it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top