JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today I wanted to get my rifle bore-sighted. I called Guncrafters, 5 bucks if the scope is mounted, 10 if he has to mount it too, I thought, that's fair, but I don't feel like driving to Salem. I called Buck Wilds in Mac, this guy must be a gun wizard or he must be famouse, he said "uuuuhhhhhh, 25 if its mounted and uuuuhhhh, 75 if I mount it for you". Is this guy on crack?!!!! I laughed and hung up. Just another reason for me not to give him bussiness. Why is there such a HUGE difference in prices from shop to shop? I'm going to Guncrafters Monday by the way...

Bi-Mart will bore sight your rifle for free, and will also mount your scope if needed. They have done this several times for me in the past before I bought my own bore sighting tool.

I'm cheap.....throw a towel around the gun, clamp it in the vise. Drop out the bolt, look down the barrel and find a corner of a building or some other distinct point, adjust the scope onto that point.

Then set up a 25 yard target to make sure your on paper, then out to a hundred yards.

I actually bore sighted my rifle last year out the front window using an arm chair.

Today I wanted to get my rifle bore-sighted. I called Guncrafters, 5 bucks if the scope is mounted, 10 if he has to mount it too, I thought, that's fair, but I don't feel like driving to Salem. I called Buck Wilds in Mac, this guy must be a gun wizard or he must be famouse, he said "uuuuhhhhhh, 25 if its mounted and uuuuhhhh, 75 if I mount it for you". Is this guy on crack?!!!! I laughed and hung up. Just another reason for me not to give him bussiness. Why is there such a HUGE difference in prices from shop to shop? I'm going to Guncrafters Monday by the way...

Is there anyone in Mac or Amity that ISN'T on crack????

Dealers can charge what ever they want. but it is only worth what the market will bear. i bet he doesn't get a lot of business for sighting in.

Sounds like the gun shop in mac, just didnt feel like doing it, so he figured if he asked alot that you would decline, and if you decided to let him do it for 100.00 he would be making a pretty damn good profit. + 1 for trick's suggestion. I do the same thing on all my rifles, but i use a power pole transformer about 100 yards away for my boresite reference, to look down my barrel.. it always gets me close enough to get on paper when i go out to test fire/ finish siting in.

I'm cheap.....throw a towel around the gun, clamp it in the vise. Drop out the bolt, look down the barrel and find a corner of a building or some other distinct point, adjust the scope onto that point.

Then set up a 25 yard target to make sure your on paper, then out to a hundred yards.

I actually bore sighted my rifle last year out the front window using an arm chair.

I did the same, but just laid my AR15 upper on a table, propped up vertical with books. When I got to a 25 yard rifle range I was only an inch off. So I blew up some ammo at the range getting it right---I don't consider that a waste..........................elsullo :s0155:

I would expect a gunsmith to charge his regular rate, just cause it's something simple, that you could do with an easy chair and a stack of book, doesn't mean he should give his time away for that. Kinda like hiring a lawyer to mow your lawn. I've bought a few scope from BiMart and they always tell me they'll mount and bore sight it for me, but it's not worth going home and getting my gun to have them do it.

Whatever happened to doing it yourself? That's the fun of it for me. I got something to do afterwork, when I get a new scope in from UPS. Same ol way I always do it. Boresight on a distant object, always right in there at 25 when I get to the range.

I built a rifle rest out of scrap lumber that works great for holding a rifle to set up a scope. Bought a couple of line levels at home depot (cheap) to level the rifle receiver and then the scope when mounted. Gets you pretty close to right on the money.

A bore sighter, laser or regular is less than $50 and that gets you the rest of the way, if you choose to be so precise.

Its a fun process, just be patient and take your time. Use blue loctite when installing all the screws after your scope is adjusted where you want it. Its a real pain when the holes in your targets are all over the place and you find the screws loose on your scope base.

Back when I was in highschool, I used to work for GI Joes. They charged 5 bucks for bore-sighting, but I just did it for free. Takes like 1-2 minutes, and I wasnt getting paid extra for it, so screw it :)

No, thats not why they went out of business haha.

I just bought a gun form Fisherman Marine and Outdoors in Oregon City. Came back a week later with a scope I bought from someplace else and he mounted it. The rings were from the store and he bore sighted it too. It only cost me $23 for the Leupold rings. But I guess they normally charge to mount and bore sight if you didn't buy your gun from there. He was very meticulous about mounting it and getting it perfect, I was very pleased.

That's my MO as well. Works like a charm. :s0155:

The guy in Mac just sits around, everytime ive come in hes been eating or just BSing. If he dosnt want the business for that then I wont give him business for anything else. Guncrafters is packed everytime Im there, but he would do it for 5 bucks? He has tons more, well paying work to do, but if he will take his time out to do that, then ill give him as much business as I can.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top