JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's some 9mm through a 16" barrel. Buy the right ammo ? Self-Defense Ammo for Pistol Caliber Carbines - Lucky Gunner Lounge

124-HST-gel-test.jpg
124-Gold-Dot-gel-test.jpg

I'll weigh my 10.5 tonight and post weight. Short barrels can be every bit as accurate as longer barrels. On my previous post in this thread my 10.5 pistol shot the best 10 shot group ( 1.9") as fast as I could get on target in comparison to all my other ar pistols. This was at 25 yds. I haven't shot it rested yet but I will be disappointed if it doesn't shoot around moa at 100yds. My 9" 300 blk will do a bit better than moa and my 11" 7.62x 39 is close. Your info on ammo for pcc was just posted above. Good stuff.

Iteresting that most the ammo had nominal gains in fps over the shorter pistol barrels And the +p rounds were the only ones able to take advantage of barrels over 12".
1535F902-E250-4AC2-851E-FFD4F6068750.png

Just been looking at building a pcc, 9mm is out of the question. A black powder pistol is more effective. Sure it's cheap ammo, so what? Practice ammo? Wth is that? Ammo you can shoot that in no way simulates the recoil or poi of your fancy high performance self defence rounds. If you can't afford to practice with what you carry, don't bother. More capacity? If you can hit what you are aiming at, better hit it twice, the 9mm is a performance turd. So you just cut your effective capacity in half. If you have to double tap every target a 15 or 17 round magazine just effectively became a 7 or 8 round magazine, and your acquisition of a second target just slowed. I carry the most popular pistol ever created, in a caliber that only requires one hit, a 1911a1 in 45acp. A true masterpiece of design.

My pcc will be in 45acp, a bit harder too pull together all the bits, but well worth it.

and now for something different,
zvha95U_d.jpg

It would be nice to see the results of the short barrels on rifle calibers and how loosing 600 ft lbs in a .223 from a 16" barrel to a 4" barrel affects expansion and so forth.

Well no one is running a 4" 5.56 barrel....8" 300 blk or 6.8 SPC still packs plenty of punch.

A 12.5" 5.56 with the correct ammo is viable a long ways out.

Just to put things in perspective a 10.5" barrel will spit a 77 gr .224 bullet out at 2350fps yielding 944 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle and 794 ft/lbs at 100 yds. A 125gr .357 bullet going 1350fps out of a 16" barrel will give you 506 ft/lbs at the muzzle and 364 ft/lbs at 100 yds. In my best Paul Harrell voice, "and that is a lot more"

Last Edited:
My pistols weigh under 3lbs. Many AR pistols weigh 6+ pounds before a full mag. And that's a lot more. Lol
(From ar pistol weights I could find on the web.)

There is always the bigger is better argument. Remember when the .223 was a varmint round ? Many still think its underpowered.

My pistols weigh under 3lbs. Many AR pistols weigh 6+ pounds before a full mag. And that's a lot more. Lol
(From ar pistol weights I could find on the web.)

There is always the bigger is better argument. Remember when the .223 was a varmint round ? Many still think its underpowered.
Not apples to apples, a ruger 9mm pcc weighs 6.8 lbs empty. I think weight if balanced properly actually helps your cause. We are not talking weapons to pack over hill and dale all day. If the 223/5.56x45 is considered underpowered then the 9mm is just flat anemic :eek:.

Last Edited:
454 Casull or 450 Marlin BFR for bear & or truck. Bullet placement not spray & pray with a weak varmint rd. The223/556 was meant to wound & carry lots of ammo as the hit ratio was 1 in 500,000, a bear you want to kill. Wounding a bear is not a happy thing.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top