JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in southern Beaverton, in the Murrayhill area, east of Murray. My son and his family live nearby, west of Murray. Last night while shooting off (legal) fireworks with the grandkids at their house, an obviously-scared coyote came running across the street, through a neighbor's yard, and on down the block.

Unusual, yes. But this is the second one we've seen this year! My wife and I saw one as we turned off Murray a couple of months ago. And just last week there was a story on the news of a young woman who saw a coyote while walking her dog in a nearby apartment complex.

So, is this something we should be concerned about? I've read a few suggestions that coyotes might prey on small pets, but otherwise is there a greater problem/threat from coyotes? IMO a 6' fence would protect pets in our backyard; yes/no?

Coyotes are opportunists. As long as your fence is solid you're probably fine. I've seen two coyotes try to take down my neighbor's Pyrenees (very large herding dog) and they might have done it if I didn't run out with a gun. Cats don't last long out here.

That being said, my old Weim/Lab used to terrorize the coyotes when he was in his prime but he was a hunting machine.

Yup, yotes take what they can get. So those nice cat ladys who leave food out for their cats to eat outside, the yotes and coons get it too.

A good solid fence will do the trick.

Coyotes are the oldest canid on the entire planet. They pre-date wolves by tens of thousands of years. I think the oldest fossil of a coyote was discovered in Maryland. North America is their homeland. That means North America is the continent of origin for canids.
As a whole they should be respected as a true North American native. Aliens living in North America should feel respect for ALL natives of North America.
If one is causing a problem, it should be handled in the same manner as a problem Sheppard, Rotweiller, Great Dane, etc.
Remember. Coyotes are 20 to 35 pound animals; Border Collie size. How much do you fear a Border Collie?
Coyotes live near me and are afraid of my Siberian Huskies.
One-third to half of the mythology stories of Native American Humans, west of the Mississippi, are about Coyote. He figures strongly as a god and often benefactor to humans. Native American Humans managed to live with coyotes and did not regard them as problems. Coyote brought fire to humans. A coyote made Crater Lake.
A coyote prefers to live on rodents and eats 12 to 20 rats, mice, voles, moles, etc. a day or a rabbit or a few squirrels. Since rats seem to flourish wherever humans establish a community, the coyotes naturally will gravitate there to eat the rats. As a previous writer said, coyotes ARE opportunists and will eat anything that they can. But they also avoid danger and are very cautious. Rats are much easier and natural prey.
Coyote is an Aztec word. In the original Nahuatl it is coyotl. It also figured heavily into Aztec life and mythology. Remember the name Quetzalcoatl. COATL is another variant of coyotl.
Coyotes mate for life and are very dedicated parents.
Some books that should be readily available in any public library are:
"God's Dog" by Hope Ryden,
"The World of the Coyote" by Wayne Grady,
"Don Coyote" by Dayton Hyde,
"Coyote" by Wyman Meinzer,
"The Voice of the Coyote" by Frank Dobie,
The Coyote: Defiant Songdog of the West" by Francois Leydet
Happy Trails,
FrontierFritz

Coyotes DO eat sheep and lambs, and this is a major financial hurt for farmers. Coyotes also rarely attack young calves if the cow is distracted or weakened from just giving birth to the calf---I have seen that myself. By the way, coyotes DIG UNDER FENCES quite well, so don't rely solely on a fence for protection of your animals---check your perimiter often for dirt........................elsullo :s0131:

Yotes are the ultimate survivors. They are VERY adaptable and do quite well in suburban, even urban environments. I've seen coyotes many times in suburban Hillsboro, usually in or near one of the green spaces. They are particularly fond of killing and eating cats. They will pass up a chicken to go after a cat.

Yotes are the ultimate survivors. They are VERY adaptable and do quite well in suburban, even urban environments. I've seen coyotes many times in suburban Hillsboro, usually in or near one of the green spaces. They are particularly fond of killing and eating cats. They will pass up a chicken to go after a cat.

I guess cat doesn't taste like chicken then. :D

coyote is thinking the same thing about you and he should be very concerned. I hate hearing stories like this...human over-population is worse than anything for this planet; think about it

coyote is thinking the same thing about you and he should be very concerned. I hate hearing stories like this...human over-population is worse than anything for this planet; think about it

It has nothing to do with overpopulation. It has everything to do with opportunity.

Coyotes, coons, possums, rats etc....... Will eat dog food, cat food, trash or anything edible that's left outside.

I saw a coon sneak in a pet door and eat the dog food just inside the door.

It has nothing to do with overpopulation. It has everything to do with opportunity.

Coyotes, coons, possums, rats etc....... Will eat dog food, cat food, trash or anything edible that's left outside.

I saw a coon sneak in a pet door and eat the dog food just inside the door.

I swear that I saw this with my own eyes: a huge (must be quite old, as they never stop growing) possum who carefully looked both ways before crossing a highway one night.......................elsullo :s0131:

I've worked security right smack dab near the freeway in Beaverton in the middle of town and I would see them on the cameras all night long. Is this really a surprise to you? I hear them practically ever night. You'll be surprised.

We had one by my house for awhile living primarily on an overgrown lot. The crazy lady down the street was putting food out fot it. I also seen them on the ridge above the rose city golf course.:gun05:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top