JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We've got a family of raccoons in the neighborhood that's killed some of our chickens. If I didn't live in town, the 12 gauge would be the answer, but that's not an option here. I've decided that I am going to live trap them and "relocate" them.

What's the best bait to use to draw them in?

Sounds like chicken :D

I have also lost a few over the years but have never tried to trap them so who knows. I know they like fish also as they have pulled them out of our pond.....

Used to use a can of wet cat food, works good with them, possums, and the neighbors cat.
letting them go again is the fun part, still have a few scars.

My neighbor at the beach used to feed the little buggers. I'd leave the cooked crabs in a bucket of water to cool after cookin and the coons would get em half the time. I got a trap and used the crab guts thinkin that would do it but the critters are pretty smart and I never got one. Got a pellet gun at Bi Mart, that worked. The law in WA now is you cant feed em. You cant trap and move them either , but you can kill em.

They'll go for things like canned Tuna and Catfood.

Peanut butter is pungent enough they may smell that if in the mood I find I have more luck with mice and rats with peanut butter than I do anything else.

However for coons, skunks, opossums and cats I use Cat food or canned tuna.

As for non target pests..
Cats will only get caught 1-2 times before they learn.. Some ferrel and starved cats may re-enter a few more times because of hunger.
I've seen it all.

As for not intentionally, opossums or skunks.. Good luck. There is NO magic food that only one foraging omnivore target pest goes after that others would not.
Your lest bet is to wrap the sides of the cage with tarp AND ductape over that (raccoons with claw away and pull the material in giving them a view if you dont double warp it.) as will skunks

That way if you catch a skunk its no big deal, just relocate, open the cage and stand back until it leaves same goes for anything else if you havent caught the raccoon.

They are smart.. If they see something else get caught they have been known to become trapshy or perhaps of they were caught a few times prior.

Last Edited:
We have had them on our property. I did the research and we cant trap or anything. One even caught my sisters dog! I heard the dog scream and pulled my 9, told the coon to let go of the dog.It did and the girl yelled at me to shoot the fn thing. My response was, I don't have a good backdrop and were in beaverton! Could you imagine. Any way I finally went to Aloha feed and pet bought. Coyote and fox urine. Followed the instructions and it's working!!
http://www.shake-away.com/DomesticCats.php?page=DomesticCat
Also I have some traps if you want to borrow. PM sent.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top