JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What's in your GSW/trauma/blow-out kit and why?
When and how do you carry it?
In what scenarios are you most likely to use it?

Here's what I carry:
  • SWAT-T tourniquet (massive hemorrhaging/loss of limb, easy to use, can double as a pressure bandage)
  • 4" Olaes bandage (gunshot/puncture wounds, entry-exit wounds, can be used as an occlusive eye dressing)
  • Celox gauze (packing/wrapping wounds where direct pressure isn't enough, packaging can be used to improvise a chest seal)
  • Z-Pak gauze (add'l wound packing/wrapping)
  • Small roll duct tape (securing anything that needs it)
  • Nitrile gloves - 2 pr (self-preservation)
  • EMT shears (fast access to wound area)
  • CPR mask (self-preservation)
  • Benzoin swabs (protect skin from duct tape)
  • Betadine wipes (wipe away dirt and debris)

To this, I would add an NPA w/ lube and several decompression needles if/when I'm properly trained in their use.

I carry all of this in a Blue Force Trauma Kit Now bag attached to my 72-hour pack, usually in my vehicle (I don't normally work in anything remotely approaching a dangerous environment). When at the range or any significant distance from my vehicle, it's on my person.

The most likely use of this for me would be an accident at the range or hunting. Being a victim of some sort of violence at or away from home is a secondary consideration.

Curious to know what other folks are doing and why (especially those who, unlike me, have real medical training).

You need to add the Celox syringe that can inject Celox directly into a gunshot wound.. and have some type of clean bandage to press over it until it seals. All of our small portable medical kits have one. Amazon has them

I have taken college level first aide courses but I am not in the field

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top