JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As a new shooter I was wondering what you take with you when you go shoot. I know the first responses would be your firearms, mags, protective gear, and ammo. :s0114: Now that we have those out of the way what am I missing?

The guns I will be using are a:
Glock 23
Glock 19
Sig P226
Last is an evil S&W M&P15T

Thank you all for the upcoming advice, it is appreciated.

Shane

I honestly have no real method to the madness of my range bag. Shooting glasses and hearing protection for guests and a staple gun are the basics and for some reason I remember having a Luger disassembly tool in there as well... :) Screwdrivers and allen wrenches, tape, Glock magazine loading plastic thingy, dummy 9mm rounds, and a cleaning kit is some other stuff I can remember now.

I'd put protective gear first, as it's something that many may easily overlook. I prefer good plugs over caps, but opinions vary. I recently picked up a set of 3M "military" plugs, which have a small latch or something that shields some mechanical echo chamber that pushes down impulse noise a lot. I found they work surprisingly well. Also have a set of Howard Leight impact sports. Not the super duper fancy stuff, but so far they've worked quite well. Also bring a cap and glasses/goggles.

Besides guns, mags & ammo, bring some cleaning stuff. Dirt & residu is easier to brush out when the gun's still warm. Keep an eye on safety and don't make the RSO unhappy doing weird stuff.

Something that doesn't fit in the range bag but is helpful to a good range experience: A good mood, courtesy and an easy going attitude towards the RSO, staff and fellow shooters. I found a smile and a friendly word go a long way compared to being a grump.

Finally, although it's also a lot of fun, try to spend some time at the range learning from what you do.

I need to go again, thank you for this reminder. ;)

Im with jordan I carry just about everything he list but I also carry a cleaning kit with the right brushes that I need I also carry masking tape to cover those holes or hang targets. I also carry all this stuff in a real nice Plastic tool box, That has 2 internal trays inside. I also take a variety of popcorn filled shot bags, and my mec rest. Stack of wack mags and a bottle of no doze too. lol:s0131:

I shoot more rifle than pistol, but my bag always has these things:

• Whatever ammo I'm shooting
  • Targets
  • Staple gun
  • Spare staples
  • Saran wrap (in case it's raining)
  • Roll of packing tape (last ditch for attaching targets if staple gun jams)
  • Chamber flags (my range requires them)
  • Hearing plugs
  • Hearing muffs (I wear both plugs and muffs when I shoot)
  • Shooting glasses
  • Range ID card
  • Leatherman tool (handy to have for screwdriver, hex, etc.)
  • Pencil, notebook
  • Black sharpie and gallon-sized ziplocs to collect brass - I always collect brass, even on calibers I don't reload, because I might some day. Heck, I even collect Berdan-primed surplus brass :)
  • Shooting sandbags (one for back and one for front)
  • A small bottle of CLP and patches. I don't really clean until I get home but figure it can't hurt to have with me.
  • Small medkit - just bandaids and neosporin. Not for gunshots, but for little nicks/cuts you sometimes get when working with staples, tools, ripping targets off, old nails on target backers, etc.

I also always take my spotting scope, though it's in a separate case.

And depending on what I'm shooting, additionally:

• Bottle of windex to put down bores at end of session if I'm shooting corrosive surplus
  • Chronograph if I'm working on a reload
  • Wind gauge if I'm trying to be all sniper disciplined supercool
  • Shot logbook, same reason
  • Reloading notes
  • Possibly plastic cartridge holders, etc. if I'm trying new loads
  • Plastic Glock mag loading thingie
  • Rubber mallet if I took the Mosin-Nagant (a joke among M-N guys but really not a joke - sometimes that bolt really sticks and you need something to whack it)

And I usually try to wear either my <broken link removed> or my Oregon Firearms Federation shirt.

If you're taking the staple gun, don't forget to bring extra staples. I know about that one personally :eek:. Target tape and a package of paper plates for when you get tired of taping. Disposable hand warmers, paper towels for wiping things off and for emergency bandaids (with the tape).

And then every once in awhile, dump it all out and try to remember why you packed all of that stuff :huh:.

depends what i'm shooting...
if it's just a CZ75 or AK; nothing but ammo. can travel light with them as they've never jammed, malfunctioned or care about being cleaned. i clean when i get home.

if i'm dragging out long guns, then my range bag gets some use because i'm probably dialing something in, something's gonna break, etc... bringing tools, cleaners, spotting scope, different hand loads at times, etc.
and not matter what, i forget to bring something....

You guys might consider adding push pins to your range bags. They work great instead of staples and never run out.

I like the saran wrap idea. I may have to swing by the dollar store for some to keep in my gear.

I use the staple gun for the paper plates as well as for the silhouette targets. Use the silhouetes and then staple the paper plates to them when they get too shot up. Rip off paper plates when the stack gets too thick. Much easier when practice shooting a stage.

Hypertension.

I was at Tri-County shooting with my wife. Range had just gone hot when the safety officer came up and asked me if I had hypertension.

I was kind of pissed but gently said, "no" and went about loading my magazine.

He said, "well, you're gonna". As I was looking up to say something, my wife stepped forward and handed me my shooting glasses.

Turns out he had asked me if I had "eye protection". I told him I thought he said "hypertension" and we had a good laugh about what a great doctor he was and all being able to tell just by looking at me that I was gonna have hypertension.

Obviously I was wearing ear protection. I'm also obviously not that good at context when it comes to conversation.

You guys might consider adding push pins to your range bags. They work great instead of staples and never run out.

I like the saran wrap idea. I may have to swing by the dollar store for some to keep in my gear.

Yeah, until the box opens up and spills into your bag. Makes digging around for stuff extra fun.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top