JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Whats a better overall .308 format Ar-10 or M1A

• Ar-10

Votes: 53 53.5%
  • M1A

Votes: 46 46.5%

• Total voters
Buy either one. They're both great fun to shoot. I know this personally.

For those complaining about AR10 magazines, the DMPS Panther accepts PMAG 7.62X51 20 round magazines. IIRC they were on sale once several years ago at Midway for $29.95.

Since I have VERY (read zero) experience accurizing both of these platforms, I'll bow to what seems to be superior experience.

I've shot both platforms, both "mil-spec" ( the Ar-10 is "sorta" milspec EVER) and found out of the box, the M1A shot better than I could. The AR-10 seemed very (trying to find the right word) cranky? touchy? Neither of those are right, but they are close. All in all, it performed worse for me than the M14. But I'm not gonna argue withsomeone who seems to have a Hell of a lot more experience on both than I do.

I have 2 AR10s. After the first 100 rounds or so, neither one has been cranky. They both shoot better than 2 moa with cheap m80 ammo. But then, I have no experience with the M1A / M14, so I can't really compare.

Don't mean to change the subject or anything but how do you guys feel about the Saiga .308? I have a buddy that has one that I could get for a pretty crazy low price but I haven't shot it.

Overall length.

I've never seen an AR-10 set up as compact as the M14 can be set up.

100yards.jpg

I understand if the bullpup configuration isn't for you... the M14 can be run in a chassis with a folding butt stock.

BTW, the same rifle is featured in both images.

Don't mean to change the subject or anything but how do you guys feel about the Saiga .308? I have a buddy that has one that I could get for a pretty crazy low price but I haven't shot it.

Seems like another case of preference, but putting NATO rounds in a Kalashnikov doesn't see right, sort of like when your mom made you kiss your sister and apologize for taking her candy .:s0163:

Consider 7.62X54r in an ak, now your talking.

A lot of people feel the same way about the M1 Garand, thinking the 30-06 more "proper" than the .308.
I'd love a Garand, cause I spent 16 weeks cleaning and drilling with the bitc$ in Pensacola. I thought it was a dirty trick we never got to shoot them, couldn't anyway, no firing pin. If I could afford one to carry shtf. You bet, I would. Heavy but best battle rifle in the world for a long, long time.

Brutus out

A lot of people feel the same way about the M1 Garand, thinking the 30-06 more "proper" than the .308.

True. My father carried a Garand for a while in the '50, considers the .308 a poor substitute. He also considers the AR an unreliable toy. My uncle will only shoot Mausers. (off topic, sorry)

Preference.

No roller lock love?!
PTR91?!..anyone..anyone?!
If you want a bench rest beauty queen then yes the AR10 and its variants..
Otherwise Id much rather take a m1A or a PRR.. At least they're rugged enough to hold up. :)

Seems like another case of preference, but putting NATO rounds in a Kalashnikov doesn't see right, sort of like when your mom made you kiss your sister and apologize for taking her candy .:s0163:

Consider 7.62X54r in an ak, now your talking.
Hey, don't knock it until you've tried it.
Other than a decent military spec/quality magazine.. The converted saiga .308 is a serious rifle, add a decent brake and a tws/PA optics mount top cover, quality ammo and glass.. She'll get the round within if not on target.. Biggest downfall are the mags.

No roller lock love?!
Otherwise Id much rather take a m1A or a PRR.. At least they're rugged enough to hold up. :)

I own an H&K 91 clone (along with three FALs-an Israeli LB, an FN/Imbel, and an L1A1), and I like it. My only gripe is that it's a b1tch to clean properly. Other than that, it's a great rifle.

No roller lock love?!

I had an HK91 25 years ago. I wish I still had it.

The reason I prefer the AR10 is AR familiarity and inherent accuracy.

Whatever weapon you prefer, hitting the intended target is far more important than how much ammo you can pump through before failure. That's where practice and training have the most importance.

AR reliability issues are greatly overstated. If you have a crappy AK (or other), you are going to have more failures just as you would with a crappy AR. A good quality AR out of the box is hard to beat.

edit:

I don't know if there are any crappy M1As.

Last Edited:
I own an H&K 91 clone (along with three FALs-an Israeli LB, an FN/Imbel, and an L1A1), and I like it. My only gripe is that it's a b1tch to clean properly. Other than that, it's a great rifle.
So, lets be friends? :) Ive never had the opportunity to operate and fire an FAL variant before.
Ive only played with them dry.

I think the M1A has the edge in dependability. Accuracy is about the same if you match costs for accurization work on both platforms. My M14 in the Army could deliver a 5-6 inch group at 300m with M118LR ammo. I'm more of a collector now but I think my M1A could probably do the same with some quality ammo.

e48a7975.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top