JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Whats a better overall .308 format Ar-10 or M1A

• Ar-10

Votes: 53 53.5%
  • M1A

Votes: 46 46.5%

• Total voters
Accuracy goes to the AR10
Battle rifle goes to the M1A

They are both on my want list

Wenis,

Camp Perry M1A 1000 meter matches open sights. So I think they beat an Armalite out of the box.

But to get that M1A at Camp Perry will cost some money because they are not stock.

The M1A is an out standing weapon but so is the Armalite or copied ones. It is what one chooses to have.

But both out of the box I will take the Armalite in accuracy plus the Armalite trigger is better.

Trigger/FCG:

The trigger on my Armalite was terrible... a factory installed NM 2-stage trigger upgrade helped, but it was no comparison to any of my USGI or ChiCom trigger groups the had been upgraded with SEI's MAX-PAK - these are outstanding.

Trigger/FCG:

The trigger on my Armalite was terrible... a factory installed NM 2-stage trigger upgrade helped, but it was no comparison
to any of my USGI or ChiCom trigger groups the had been upgraded with SEI's MAX-PAK - these are outstanding.

The standard AR10 trigger is just a AR15 part, same single stage design that is often gritty with a lot of creep. The ArmaLite two stage is based on the same design (hook and sear) as the M14 trigger group. You use the same techniques to tune the trigger weight in both the first and second stage.

"The M14 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee has a good chapter on tuning the M14 trigger, this technique can be applied to the ArmaLite two stage. Jerry Kuhnhausen's M14 book has a very good chapter in trigger tuning also.

You well normally see both the M14 and AR10 tuned to a 4.5 lb trigger to meet match requirements, but you can go as low as 3lb and maintain 100% reliability.

I have both.......... this question is unanswerable with any meaning for the op. Really depends on what you want, how you are going to use it and personal preference <-- big part. That is something the OP needs to figure out. They are both very great. Both has pros and cons. So the question is like, which is better, a Red head or a Blonde or a Brunette?

Funny how many folks will comment on a rifle they've never shot...or shot a friends and never actually trained with them...but I digress...

It doesn't matter which one you chose. You can make either one anything you want it to be. You have to work with the rifle a bit and see how you feel about it as you move with it, articulate it, shoot it and maintain it. Spend some time with a bunch of rifles. Buy one, play with it for a while...if you like it, keep it. If you don't, sell it and get something else. Just keep experimenting and playing. Yes, its a pain in the 4ss, but that's the only way to know you got the right rifle for YOU.

You can find people who hate every single rifle option and people who love every single rifle option. You'll never know anything based on someone else's opinion. Of course, this is mostly only true for "mainstream" rifles. If you're looking at cheap or exotic, then opinions are a good place to start.

You have to decide what you need the rifle for and then decide which one to try first and keep going till you find what you love. Its like women...people can set you up with someone they think you'll like, but until you spend some time with the girl, you don't know if she's "the one"...and only YOU can decide that.

That said...get a FAL! haha =)

PS - you guys stop posting photos of your beautiful rifles...you're killing me!!

If you want to run a 7.62 round, you do so because you want to hit targets at greater distances. With that said, during the years right after the invasion of Iraq, besides running M40's, several snipers were using MIA's.....I never saw a single AR-10.
Hence my vote for the MIA.

I've owned and trained with both. AR10 was 16" FF fore-end, good rifle. I currently have an M1a Scout. Our carbine quals go from contact distance with handgun transition to 200 yards. My score was 10 points higher with the M1a. I just like the simplicity and ergonomics of the Scout. I never weighed either rifle but the scout feels better balanced and lighter for me. Call me crazy. Both are good platforms.

M-1A National Match! Just because I qualified expert with an M-14! I really don't have a problem with either platform. Shoot what feels best to you! I dearly love my M-1A NM though!

When I was faced with the same decision, I was lucky enough to have friends who owned one or the other or both.

It was not an easy decision to choose an Armalite AR-10 over the M1A, especially after shooting the M1A.

There is just something special about an M1A that is hard to describe, when you hold and shoot it. It definitely feels like a battle rifle. There was nothing cumbersome about it, whatsoever. Someday I will be adding one to the collection.

You really need to shoot both, if at all possible.

M14/M21A5

1-M21A5-10-11-13.jpg

M21A5-10-11-13.jpg

It's important to note that "AR-10's" aren't standardized like AR's. Some take FAL magazines, some take M1A magazines, there's a third magazine option out there too but I can't remember what it was.

A NM profile M1A barrel is just as heavy as a AR target barrel. Either rifle when preped for long range shooting is going to be very heavy. It cost a lot more to get reliable sub moa from a M1A. Either a costly aluminum space stock or bedding, unitizing and other mods. Most of these require a M14 smith. The AR can be assembled by most competent hobbyists. It's roughly a two to one factor, you can build a $1500 AR that well that $3000 to equal in the M14 platform.

Both of these rifles are tack drivers and both are heavy.

Since I have VERY (read zero) experience accurizing both of these platforms, I'll bow to what seems to be superior experience.

I've shot both platforms, both "mil-spec" ( the Ar-10 is "sorta" milspec EVER) and found out of the box, the M1A shot better than I could. The AR-10 seemed very (trying to find the right word) cranky? touchy? Neither of those are right, but they are close. All in all, it performed worse for me than the M14. But I'm not gonna argue withsomeone who seems to have a Hell of a lot more experience on both than I do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top