JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Whats a better overall .308 format Ar-10 or M1A

• Ar-10

Votes: 53 53.5%
  • M1A

Votes: 46 46.5%

• Total voters
I have been thinking about getting a semi- .308 . I am looking for some suggestions on overall format. Dependability, Accuracy, Cost. Please feel free to let me know what you think. Thanks Jason

Where is the FN-FAL option? If it were me it'd be the M1A. I have 0 experience with any of them, but am not a huge fan of the AR platform.

I prefer the M14 (M1A). The AR may have a slight advantage in the accuracy department but the M1A is no slouch. I've fired a variety of loads (even cast bullet loads) thru the M1A and had it function reliably. The FN FAL seems to be more fussy with ammo and require messing with the gas regulator when using varying ammo. The M1A also has superior iron sights to most military rifles and definitely a better trigger pull out of the box. If you have some sort of ammunition difficulty or stoppage, you have open access to deal with it and aren't wishing for needle nosed pliers to reach through the suddenly very small ejection port like on the AR. Having grown up with conventionally stocked rifles, I find it ergonomically more comfortable than pistol grip stocked rifles (although I find the FAL to be not too bad in that regard). And, I suppose, having grown up with Dad's M1 and then being trained on the M14 in the Marines might influence my opinion.

'Course I wouldn't say NO to any of them ;^)

I think over all it is shooter prefrance. As for me, having been trained on the M-16 when I joined the military at the ripe old age of 17 I am more comfortable with that platform. Just my .02 cents.

The barrel options alone for the AR style platform are what root me firmly in that camp.
Of course we sell MEGA ARMS as well, but there's a reason I chose them for my personal rifle.
Sub-MOA, inexpensive magazines, easy parts and component changes, lighter weight.

Funny I can get a good M1A for about 1/2 the cost of the tricked out FAL.

I am with you on this, I have a buddy that has an FAL, I've shot the M1A as well, never shot the AR10 platform, but to truly answer the question, M1A is probably where I'd be buying the first one. As for the FAL, I like it, it's on my list, but not before an M1A, then an AR10.

I voted M1A, just because I'm a fan, and shoot one.

But really depends on your use of the gun.

AR flat top is the best for mounting a scope directly to the receiver. So a heavy barreled ar-10 would be a better sniper/target rifle. Barrel is obviously way easier to free float. No need to bed action, Attach all the lasers and nv, ect. Heavy sniper system.

For a down and dirty, iron sight, low drag, no optics, beat the door down with the buttstock, rifle. It's the M14. Open top action is easy to feed from strippers. Accurate enough with peep sights to keep it on a 14" circle at 300yds. No gas in action, like AR.

But the Fal is the best 7.62 main battle rifle still.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top