JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A lot of the 1911 being more accurate is the shooter. I shoot the Glocks I've shoot better or just as good as any 1911 I've shot. This argument could go on for ever. Also, a $500 Glock is much more reliable than a $500 1911. If you ask Wichaka, who probably, honestly knows more about 1911s than anybody on this forum, he told me something very close to (I dont know his exact words) that there is no production 1911 he would carry/trust his life to out of the box. You may get a $500 1911 that feeds anything and hasn't jammed in 5000rds, but those are rare, I'd bet that 95% of $500 Glocks will feed anything, never jam, and be more accurate than 50% of $500 1911s.

in the end it all comes down to how much money you have and YOUR personal preference!

Anybody that says Glocks are junk, has no substance behind their statement and are honestly are stupid for saying that.

Don't know much about either one. I've only got about 40 years experience with 1911's with more than three of those years in combat. They've always run just fine when the chips were down or I just wanted to bust a few caps on the range. My personal preference is the 1911 because that's what I'm used to. I've tried Glocks but just don't like the feeling of them in my hand. I've got a couple of under $700 1911's that run just fine, and yes, I trust my safety and the safety of my family to those fine pistols.

No pistol will run well if not properly maintained, and no shooter will run well without spending trigger time.

Just MHO, your mileage may vary.

I own both, and shoot both well. The Glock is a tool that does what it is supposed to do, the 1911's are alot more fun to shoot.
Would not want to face either one in battle.

A lot of the 1911 being more accurate is the shooter. I shoot the Glocks I've shoot better or just as good as any 1911 I've shot. This argument could go on for ever. Also, a $500 Glock is much more reliable than a $500 1911. If you ask Wichaka, who probably, honestly knows more about 1911s than anybody on this forum, he told me something very close to (I dont know his exact words) that there is no production 1911 he would carry/trust his life to out of the box. You may get a $500 1911 that feeds anything and hasn't jammed in 5000rds, but those are rare, I'd bet that 95% of $500 Glocks will feed anything, never jam, and be more accurate than 50% of $500 1911s.

in the end it all comes down to how much money you have and YOUR personal preference!

Anybody that says Glocks are junk, has no substance behind their statement and are honestly are stupid for saying that.

Well, If the OP didn't know, this type of question will lead to a virtual fistfight!

Actually I believe Wichaka's statement to me, and what I've seen posted is more like he "wouldn't trust any one of them until he's taken it down to the pins" and it's also pretty well known that he despises MIM parts.
(I'd love for him to chime in. I hate to puts words into his mouth)

I've only shot one Glock. Thought it was a nice handgun and I did shoot it well. I've owned 8 1911 guns. The only $500 1911 I had was a Para Ordnance that I bought in the early 90's. It fed and shot anything I put in the mag. (It was only a $500 gun then. Inflation's taken it's toll!)
Currently have my 2 favs (old Colt & Dan Wesson) and my wife has a Ruger SR1911. I paid $660 for the SR 1911 and I'd do it again before I bought a Glock for myself. Doesn't mean the Glock is a bad gun and I'm not going to slam Glocks here, I just prefer the 1911 platform. I don't feel that I'm under gunned with 8+1. I could buy 2 Glocks for what either of mine is worth, but I don't care. I only need one! :s0155:

Since the question is carry, I'd pick the G30 over my 1911. Competition, Glock. SHTF, Glock.

Just having a great day at the range, collecting, impressing chicks and friends?

1911 any day.

i just thought i should post a link to the youtube video that was honestly sort of offensive to me and brought me to ask this question. 1 thing i noticed is i believ the glock gets tossed in the dirt with the ejection port facing the ground and the sig 1911 is facing up. seems like that would effect the amount of dirt allowed inGlock 19 vs 1911 Torture Test! - YouTube

** EXCEPT FOR JUNK BRANDS** (as I bad talk cheapo guns)

Most that talk bad about a platform,haven;t taken the time to get used to the gun,the gun didn't fit their hands good enough for instant result,or are just stubborn and can't except the fact that there is a better gun than a 1911 or there isn't any use for the "out dated " technology of said gun.

1911s are still one of the best guns out there.They fit my hands great,point great and are very accurate .At least they are for me.
45 ACP is a very good man stopping round,if you have hands big enough for the guns that come in that caliber.Recoil isn't really much of an issue for 45 acp.
Glock makes a great 45 in the G21

The glocks are great guns,fit my hands well and are very accurate.....at least for me.Carring a glock isn't always about having OR NEEDING more rounds,it's about having a gun that fits your hands well.

The same goes fr any handgun.What fits your hands well enough for you to instinctively point the gun easily?
I like both guns and I am fortunate enough to be able to point both guns accurately.
When one says either is better,it is just a simpleton way of looking at them.
Mainly because you didn't spend the extra time necessary to become proficient with either gun.

Signed a happy $500 and $1000 1911 owner and a happy multiple Glock owner.

mike

The glocks are great guns,fit my hands well and are very accurate.....at least for me.Carring a glock isn't always about having OR NEEDING more rounds,it's about having a gun that fits your hands well.

^ this. As much as I want to like Glocks, I just can't do it. They simply don't fit my hand right.

For Carry "full size Glock or 1911"? I have given both platforms a fair shake for concealed carry. Have owned 8 Glocks in 5 different models in 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP. I have carried 1911's in 3",4", and 5" with both steel & aluminum frames. I train with my carry piece two to three days a week using a shot timer. I draw, fire reload, clear jams, over & over & over again. I have no desire to ever be in a gunfight but losing one is not an option.

Of my 1911's out of the holster the Les Baer TRS is every bit as reliable and more accurate (for me) than a G17, G22, G21 at defensive ranges. Sadly it also cost more than all three of those Glock models combined.

As for speed, the difference for me drawing and shooting is only a difference measured in hundredths of a second between a 1911 and G17.

As for capacity I am not one to get too hung up on that, but more is always better. Honestly I seldom ever carry a spare Mag with a Glock but always feel a need to if I'm packing a 1911. I guess that 15 rounds or so is what it takes to make me feel comfortable. That just me.

As for caliber .45 ACP is hands down my favorite defensive round. But if we are comparing Full size .45 Glock (G21) to a 5" 1911 for concealed carry its no contest. While I think the G21 is a .45 throwing beast its overall size loses out to the 1911. Sure you gain a few rounds with the G21 but its like trying to conceal a 4X4 post on your hip. The 1911 is just a better fit.

For a fair size comparison I would have to assume we are talking G17 & G22 VS 1911. If those are my choices I would my 1911. I like the grip, the big holes it makes, and enjoy shooting it better than any Glock I own.

Kinda long and drawn out explanation but that's my opinion.

Side note: Over the years I have carried all the above mentioned handguns plus a mess of Sigs & Revolvers. What I have found is I prefer the size & weight of the Glock 19 for 90% of my carry needs and a S&W 642 when I'm needing to go even smaller and lighter. That's just what works for me in order to keep me carrying everyday. Anything bigger and heavier seems to get carried less and less. It doesn't matter how great your gun shoots is if it aint there when you need it.

This.
Dave
P2205116.jpg

I try to stay out of these types of threads, as there are no right or wrong answers.

In the LE Dept.'s where I had the say of what firearm was carried, issued etc., I always advocated for each to carry what fits their hand, can consistently shoot accurate, and be competent with every manipulation of their chosen firearm.

I have fired just about every handgun under the sun that could ever be considered for duty use, I also armorer Glocks, have been thru their factory course, but always come back to a 1911...but its a personal choice.

Handguns are about as good as the person they fit...they are made for everyone, but really don't fit many really well. I see a lot of folks who have not gripped a handgun properly, and find with their hand properly adjusted...their chosen model no longer fits them very well.

I issue the S&W M&P 45 in my dept., because of the overall quality and adjustable grips so they fit a wide range of hands...about the best anyone can hope for.

1911's tend to be the most versatile fitting gun out there...with different length triggers, grip thickness, and back straps (main spring housings), I haven't found one person that couldn't be fit to one.

As for 1911's overall...I have taken a lot of heat for my beliefs, but folks who stick with the 1911 platform very long will eventually come to see the light of my musings;

1 - 1911's today are not the same as crafted by Colt way back in the day. Back then, it was totally their parts top to bottom, inside and out...no exception. Their parts, their magazines, and their ammo. Now days we have so many aftermarket parts companies with specs all over the board, its no wonder the platform is still running at all.

2 - MIM parts can be made to be used in the platform, but just haven't seen enough consistency to trust them. Kimber had major problems with them, Springfield not so much...but as of late their quality is taking a dive.

3 - I would not trust any current production 1911 out of of the box, even from the list I have recommended in other threads...without first taking it down to the pins. There are too many out of spec, and poorly built guns out there that will run initially, but over a short haul, will fail. I have been in a few scrapes on the street, so my focus has been reliability. In other words...bling means little, if they can't sing.

4 - They are not Swiss watches, the platform is very forgiving, but everything has a breaking point...and apparently some makers have wanted to test out the boundaries of such.

5 - If you own a Dremel, throw it out in the street and run over it with your car at least 10 times before attempting any gunsmith procedure.

6 - If you mess with one thing, you just may have upset 3-4 other parts and may not be aware.

7 - They are a machine, if set up properly they will run, they don't have a choice.

8 - ...and just because they are running, doesn't mean they are running right.

9 - And from out of the mouth of Larry Vickers, a top 1911 'smith...If you treat your 1911 like you treat your lawnmower, get a Glock.

10 - You won't hear many, if any top tier instructors bash platforms as a whole. They may throw out a word of warning here and there, but very rarely do across the board dissing, unless there's something very wrong with them, and then they will be very specific with the problem(s). Be wary of anyone, instructor/'smith alike that do a across the board bashing without qualifying their stance.

If anyone wants a hands on armorer class on the platform, contact me via PM, and I will make it happen.

Personal experience shapes my "old school" preference. Having owned and shot 1911's for decades, any double-stack semi-auto pistol without an external safety feels odd in my hands. So when I carry a semi-auto, it's the 1911. Pocket, holster, center console, briefcase, backpack - I'm fairly quick and functional with it.

However! If my current job were law enforcement with open carry as the rule, regular contact with bad guys, heightened potential for escalation, same holster all day every day? I'd switch to the higher capacity point-and-squeeze Glock/SA XDm platform. Then train, train, train with it until the 1911 felt funny.

When I carry a .45ACP, it is a tossup between my Dan Wesson Valor 1911 and one of my Glocks. It usually depends on where I am going, what I am wearing, and how many rounds I am comfortable carrying. There is no right or wrong answer for .45ACP. The DW Valor is more accurate and the Glock has more rounds available with acceptable accuracy. If you included 10mm, it is definitely the Glock 20SF over any 1911.

I have both, trust both and shoot both about equally well. The 1911 shoots a little more accurately (for me) but is a more picky about ammo. I seldom carry and when I do it is a smaller lighter gun (J frame or 9mm auto).

Why limit yourself to carrying a full size Glock, I carry a G36 and love it. It is dead on reliable & much smaller, ligher & cheaper than a 1911. I also know guys that carry G30SFs and really like them, they can carry extra 13 rd G21 mags which is a nice option over the 6 rd G36 mags. By the way, I also have 1911s so you can like both...lol.