JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So you have three guns that you shoot a hundred rounds a month in, and probably spread out that hundred rounds among all three guns?

That is not indicative of a reliable pistol...

No, that might not be. But I have a 1911 under $450 that is my only 1911 I practice with and yes, it runs like a champ and I'll swear by the "Lower End" or better yet "Entry Level" 1911 pistols.. Until it fails me I won't rag on them.

I hear a lot of talk about how much more accurate the 1911 is over glock. Last week I went shooting and I shot my friends Glock 36 again and there was another guy there with a Wilson Combat tactical 1911, he let me a my buddy shoot three or four mags each(our own ammo of course), and no matter how hard we both tried we could not get three round groups any smaller than 3 inches at 10 yards with either firearm. The other guy couldn't do any better with his and like he said the glock just didn't fit his hand and he was all over the place when he tried to accurately shoot the g36. obviously we are talking a compact glock vs the full size glock, but my buddy and I were just as accurate either way. Just to add this in there this is only the second time I have shot my buddys g36 and his third time shooting it. By no means were we experts with the G36. So, let me get back to my point in a concealed carry situation like the OP is talking about, how much more accuracy is there for the average shooter in a 1911 over a Glock in the same caliber? Personally the full size glock 45 is just to big for my hands and I have only shot on a couple times. I think if I was to pick one or the other as the OP talks about for carry, I would go with the 1911 primarily because it is significantly slimmer and I think easier to conceal than the Glock.

However if OP was talking Glock 36 vs any similar size 1911, I would choose Glock 36 for many many reasons.

Your anecdote is just that.

Put a race car driver in a minivan and a soccer parent in a race car, who do you think would win just about every time?

Hint: it's the software.

I like glocks, I like 1911s. Every other polimer pistol is just a copy cat. Glock got it right (however perfection left with the introduction of the gen 4). I'm not a big fan of the xd, xdm, sigpro or p250, M&p, p99, or any other polimer pistol. For some reason I like the HK. I know in another 100 years 1911s will still be in production. I think I'm going to start a savings account so my great grandchild can buy a bicentennial edition 1911...or maybe I'll just go get a 1911 for me tomorrow and he can inherit it. Don't think my glock will be around when that time comes.

I gotta ask.. how long between pics, cause... damn!
I really like the work and art of the piece but it looks like your artist was a bit shy on depth
Flaming Dragon In Tacoma. Done by Jason. Here is a better pic. :)
Glad you like it.
Dave
tat002.jpg
P4286042.jpg

I wonder if there is any correlation between age of the shooter and preference of pistol (ie: older shooters and 1911 style pistols)? I am an older fellow and I have shot Glocks and 1911's extensively and I shoot the 1911's better. I grew up with them. So I carry a Colt Officers Mdl. (tuned). Where I really like a Glock is as a car gun when vacationing and carrying a pocket pistol on my person. Then I like a single unit with the high capacity mag.

6 - If you mess with one thing, you just may have upset 3-4 other parts and may not be aware.

I bought a bunch of after market parts for a Springfield 1911 that we own and Jerry Kuhnhausen shop manual for instructions. After reading the manual I never pulled the parts back out of the bags... Lot's of TLC built into the system. And I don't feel like I am mechanically inclined enough to provide that TLC myself.

With that said, I carry 1911's for a couple of reason.

1. It fits my hand better and I can run it quicker without developing blisters.
2. If it's built right it runs right as long as the shooter does his part.
3. It's thinner than a glock, so it conceals easier.

Capacity is a non-issue. I figure if I can't hit the target by the time I empty a 7 or 8 round magazine, the other guy has probably already hit me.

Capacity is a non-issue. I figure if I can't hit the target by the time I empty a 7 or 8 round magazine, the other guy has probably already hit me.

That and if you find yourself needing more than 7-8 rounds, you better asses your surroundings and make sure you're not in a war zone (or Hollywood action flick).

This is almost as bad as chevy vs ford or crunchy vs smooth. The debate will be ruled by bias and ignorance. Both guns are very good in their own way and both have their strengths. It comes down to the shooter. I personally can put tighter groups in a fast followup shot case with my glock but my 1911 is flat out more accurate. The 1911 seems to carry better but the glock carries more ammo so again to each his own.

for a 45 id take a glock 21 sf but i carry a glock 23 ive had 1911s. but i prefer the glocks nothing against the 1911 kimber / colt i just prefer the glocks fire power and there almost free maintenance dependability

If my ONLY choices were a Glock or a 1911 then I would "rather" carry a 1911.
BUT due to the weight differences I would likely settle for the Glock.

There was a time when I thought the Glock 40sw was the perfect carry gun. Then I bought one. They are fine guns, and designed for just that purpose, but I never really liked them. Mostly it was the crappy plastic trigger and the poor (at least to me) balance. But they are light(er), simple, and better for a draw from concealment. I feel like there is more you can do with your 1911, although Glocks are starting to get more aftermarket mods and shops that specialize in them.

I guess I can't say that a 1911 is a better carry gun, but I can say that I like them better and would rather carry/own one. Para's and STI/SVI can solve any capacity issues that you may have. My 1911's all cost quite a bit more than Glocks, but who woudn't rather have these than a Glock?

The bottom line is that Glock might be a better carry gun just because you don't care if they get thrashed, but 1911's are a thing of beauty and craftsmanship.

2012-04-21133831.jpg

2011-09-11145445.jpg

timsguns003-1.jpg

2011-12-17131127.jpg
2011-12-17131008.jpg

a $500 Glock is much more reliable than a $500 1911.
Price does not accuracy make. My $399.00 M1991-A1 is the most reliable and accurate 1911 I have ever owned (of five) BUT it did take some minor tuning to get it there. It will shoot into 2" at 25 yards with good handloads but part of that may be due to an 'accidental' discovery I stumbled upon when I made my own first FLGR for it. Also I shoot it a lot. There is a direct correlation between the amount of rounds you fire and group size. To answer the original question though I would prefer to carry my 1911 over my Glock - if I still had it. I will admit though my Gen 1 G-17 shot very well, was very smooth and accurate. The last Glock I shot was a new G-36 and shot terribly. Rough, inaccurate, kicked like a mule and was not capable of anything better than 8" at about 20 yards. Part of the problem may have been the caliber. My opinion is the .45 ACP was designed for a larger framed, heavier gun and should stay that way. Kind of like the .357 magnum. I guess it offers versatility but the 2" Taurus 605 I recently got in a trade will never see anything but .38 Special in it.