JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kind of a loaded question.

A 500 dollar 1911 isn't worth the gas to drive to a gun shop. So I would carry the Glock.

But a 2k dollar 1911, provided round count wasn't an issue (For whatever reason), would win out over the Glock.

For me Glock or other non external safety gun like my M&P. I have spent so much time shooting them I am afraid that in a high stress self defense situation I would forget to take the safety off. IF I was to carry a gun with an external safety again I would have to do A LOT of training/practice first.

The only issue I have with the full sized 1911 is the limited magazine capacity. Yes 8+ 1 should be enough but just in case I'd rather have the compact double stack version of the 1911. Also you save weight with the glock

glocks are my favorite polymer pistol. i think some of the low end 1911s could be a good value, but ive only owned a compact kimber cdp, and the others ive shot except 1 were kimbers. ive read some good reviews about springfield an rock island armory guns

The Glock lovers will tell you to go with Glock. The same will happen with the 1911 fans.

I prefer single action auto's over all others, and the Browning Hi-Power is my all time favorite handgun.

The 45acp will cost you a bunch more to shoot, compaired to a 9mm.

You really can't go wrong with either choice, buy what fits your hand better and you shoot the best.

Mag capacity is not an issue for me, being able to hit my target on the first shot is what matters.

You're going to see all the biased (either way) people on here now! LOL I wouldn't say I am biased between a Glock vs 1911, because they are way different guns. I am "biased" about synthetic framed guns, I'd take a Glock over an XDm, FN, HK, or any other polymer gun I can think of if they were all the same price. Between a 1911 and a Glock, I'd take a Glock for carry, and that is what I carry, a 23. I've had several 1911s, S&W, Colt, and Kimber, I really liked them, but not enough to justify the price, and honestly, you offer me a Wilson 1911 or a Glock and I have to keep it and carry it forever, I'd still take the Glock. I keep coming back to them, and I've found I like the 19/23 size best, my 26 was a tad easier to carry, but not much. I like how Glocks have higher capacity, have a rail, and are very simple and easy to take apart. I know I could carry ann extra mag, get a 1911 with a rail, and some people say taking a 1911 apart is just as easy (BS!!), but I'm happy with my Glock, someday I'll have both, but I will always have a Glock before a 1911.

I'd take the glock for the lack of manual safety and the capacity...

In reality I wouldnt get either. I'm not a big fan of the 45acp.
If I were going for a full size glock with a big bullet i'd go with a 50 GI

6183d1253417186glock205.jpg

Everybody cites higher capacity as a reason to carry Glock. On the other hand, if you are carrying a pouch(es) for spare mags, you can put your 13 round double stack Glock mag in each slot, or 2 single stack 45 mags. Depending on what mag you use, you could have 14, 16, or 20 rounds of 45 in each pouch. So in actuality, you can carry more rounds of 45 in the same space.

That said, I'll stick with my 1911s, and you can keep your Glunk. :s0114:

Everybody cites higher capacity as a reason to carry Glock. On the other hand, if you are carrying a pouch(es) for spare mags, you can put your 13 round double stack Glock mag in each slot, or 2 single stack 45 mags. Depending on what mag you use, you could have 14, 16, or 20 rounds of 45 in each pouch. So in actuality, you can carry more rounds of 45 in the same space.

That said, I'll stick with my 1911s, and you can keep your Glunk. :s0114:

Or you could carry 13+1 and no extra magazine :s0114:
14+1 with a mag extension.
If you really want to carry LOTS of ammo, you can get a spare 27 round magazine.

Extra magazines are clunky and cumbersome. I'm not looking to wear batmans belt just to support all of the accessories.
I'd prefer just to carry those extra rounds in the gun.

Or you could carry 13+1 and no extra magazine :s0114:
14+1 with a mag extension.
If you really want to carry LOTS of ammo, you can get a spare 27 round magazine.

Extra magazines are clunky and cumbersome. I'm not looking to wear batmans belt just to support all of the accessories.
I'd prefer just to carry those extra rounds in the gun.

Ok, since you felt you had to bring up the stick mags for Glock, they make extended capacity mags for 1911 as well. The comparison to which I was drawing attention is between mags of similar length. You could probably make a Glock mag that held 417 rounds, but the thing would be six feet long. My point was that if you compare a 8 round Wilson combat 1911 mag to a 13 round Glock 21 mag, they are roughly equivalent in length. The 1911 mag is much thinner, being a single stack, allowing you to carry more of them in the same space. So you want to carry a Glock with a 27 round mag sticking out the end, be my guest. A standard capacity 13 rounder only gives 5 extra rounds over a 8 round 1911 mag. I can admit to that. When it comes to reloads, the single stack mags are more space efficient. Again, it is your prerogative to carry only the magazine in the weapon, but I will ALWAYS have one or more reloads.