JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
  1. Ouch. Glad you're OK
  2. The OP is woefully short of info.
  3. What happened? You had a KABOOM.
  4. Most likely scenarios have been listed above..
  5. Root cause is ammo
  6. Why I shoot metal framed pistols
  7. Why I no longer shoot reloads other than mine (though I had one myself 2 years ago with my own reloads).

View attachment 783917

With my USP(.45ACP), it was locked in battery & stayed that way. Completely locked. You can see where the case blew out, right where it wasn't supported. I won't disclose the name of the company, because 1) They were very professional every step of the way(also replaced my gun) & 2) I'm of the impression that these things could happen to almost any ammo manufacturers.

I also contacted Heckler & Koch, they blamed the ammo manufacturer immediately. Most people I showed it to leaned towards ammo issue, but there were couple who weren't 100%. Ammo company had me return the entire batch back to them(few boxes), especially interested in the very box the particular ammo came in. They tested it, said couldn't find anything wrong with it, but would send me another USP.

Glad your hands are okay(mine were, too). I was seriously scared to shoot again there for while.

Interesting. Did not know that.

Curious photo @a6m5 Now I have to go through my semi auto hang guns and see if any of mine leave so much un-supported case.

As far as the OP, DAMN! :eek: Curious of how brass shavings /dust were being produced. Do you have the piece of brass that blew up the gun? Other pieces of brass from THE gun and the 92FS to compare? Glad your okay man.

I'm usually picking up my brass while I'm shooting, rather than waiting 'til the end of a session. I got in the habit looking close at my fired brass for some reason. Good habit to have I think.

I'm rather sure 59 left the muzzle and missed my target, but can't be 100% sure as shock has kind of jacked my memory a little. Muzzle is clear now. I was able to push a rod from all the way down the barrel and into the breach so i new the round was spend that's stuck in it.
Is the barrel bulged .

There is a lot of odd branded ammo out there right now. I wont buy it .The saved money isnt going to replace the pistol .and that one looks bad, lucky the OP is not hurt or worse.For all we know some f it could be factory rejects that failed QC .

Last Edited:
Definitely not caused by a squib. You would see a bulged barrel where the the stuck bullet was. Most likely an over charged load, case failure due to defect in the case, or possibly an out of battery condition during firing.
Just my $0.02

Saw a new M&P shield 9 do this and sent it to Smith and Wesson, they sent a new gun with no other information.

Last Edited:
For what it's worth, my nephew just got a new Shield 9mm compact.
I brought some of my reloads that work in all my 9mm's using unsized (.359/.360) Lee 102 rn and the first attempt at chambering one in his gun resulted in the bullet jammed so hard into the throat that the bullet was pulled out of the case and remained stuck hard in the throat after clearing the round by using the bench.

It took some work to get the slide to open enough to be able to check things out. I wasn't sure what happened and had to check that a live round wasn't in there. Clearly there wasn't :)

If I don't send the gun anywhere, i'll be hanging it on my wall. It's a hell of a trophy.

Curious photo @a6m5 Now I have to go through my semi auto hang guns and see if any of mine leave so much un-supported case.

As far as the OP, DAMN! :eek: Curious of how brass shavings /dust were being produced. Do you have the piece of brass that blew up the gun? Other pieces of brass from THE gun and the 92FS to compare? Glad your okay man.

I'm usually picking up my brass while I'm shooting, rather than waiting 'til the end of a session. I got in the habit looking close at my fired brass for some reason. Good habit to have I think.
I don't think it's the brass, I think it's whatever the bullet is coated with since it's not a copper jacket.

The case looks to not be totally seated in the chamber with the claw ripping the side of the brass out it must be stuck good.is the back of the case blown out ?

Last Edited:
I was a first hand witness to the event in question yesterday. Crazy, and made me paranoid to keep shooting even though I was using different firearms/ammo. If it was an overcharged 9mm, it would have to be pretty significantly hopped up to cause that kind of damage.

I didn't actually see the shot in question, but I saw OP sitting on a tailgate with his hand on a compress and he asked us to get his gun off the ground, which was confusing for a second, until we saw the gun.

This isnt the issue here though, all semis have a small unsupported part of the feedramp to facililtate, feeding. Semi casings have extra wall thicknesses in this area near the base for this reason. Reloads or faulty ammo manufacturing is the culprit here.

1606588476323.png

I think this is an ammo issue, still would like to know if its reloads?

Had a similar experience years ago with commercial reloaded ammo, case wall blew out on a shot. Lucky for me it didnt hurt the gun or anything I just think the case was reused one too many times.... now imagine this scenario if the reloader overcharged the ammo.

1606588819348.png

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads