JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is very difficult to tell from the picture. While I do agree that the grain resembles Cocobolo and it could be, the color is not what i generally see. It could also be dyed. I still think that it could be Bloodwood. While it does not look like a clear piece of heartwood, I see what looks to be sapwood near the back edge of the gun (very light color band near the beavertail). The rings of the grain could come from either a couple of small branches growing from the tree or from the radius of the grip and grain banding depending on the cut of the wood. Due to the sapwood and rings and color, I still believe it could be Bloodwood. If I could see the endgrain more clearly it would be more obvious. It would be unique for either species. Regardless of species it is a beautiful piece.

Agreed, endgrain would be more obvious (way too many hours in a lab at OSU with a handlens and wood samples). But given that cocobolo is a more common material for 1911 grips, I think its more likely that either Paduk or any of the bloodwood species. Agreed however, that it is a gorgeous set of grips.

<broken link removed>

These are close in color. From grips by Esmeralda.

Properly finnished Padauk would have no pores showing.I have several sets and they look just like that pic.It is uncommon but can be found.My first set is on my S&W 39-2 ,I liked so much that I made several set for other guns mostly old colt autos.That wood goes with either blued or stainless...Robin

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top