JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What would you keep (semi-permanently) on a boat (high humidity environment), Stainless revolver? Would you trust an auto for extended storage on a boat? Of course, I'll always have whatever I'm carrying that day.

Also, does anyone know the laws on keeping a handgun on a boat? I'm speaking of a boat moored in Oregon and sailed on the Columbia river.

Thanks

Ruger P89

A guy i worked with in Alaska carried one every day for three seasons and never had a hiccup. For those of you that wonder about his choice of carry, he did fire his gun once against a bear . . . and it worked! Well, he had a yearling bear following him for about .25 miles and fired a shot in the air and the bear took off.

I always loved those Winchester Stainless Marine shotguns. Very shiny. Glocks are very good knockabout pistols in terms of corrosion resistance. Also, if you get the 17 with the special firing pin cups, you can shoot it underwater...:) You still have to keep the springs and stuff lubricated but a stainless pistol is more tolerant of neglect. YMMV

A Taurus stubby revolver in stainless. 38 or 357. (cheaper than a Smith Wesson, but still a great revolver) Oil it up real good, stick it in a zip lock bag and stow it somewhere handy. :)

I always loved those Winchester Stainless Marine shotguns. Very shiny. Glocks are very good knockabout pistols in terms of corrosion resistance. Also, if you get the 17 with the special firing pin cups, you can shoot it underwater...:) You still have to keep the springs and stuff lubricated but a stainless pistol is more tolerant of neglect. YMMV

You can buy maritime firing pin cups right here:
<broken link removed>

I'd suggest a Glock as well. If you'd only worried about 2 legged predators I'd suggest a .45. If you think you might have to deal with the 4 legged variety might as well go with the 10mm:s0155:

I keep mine in a VCI bag - it is sealed and prevents rust. They are available for handguns or long arms.

Shotguns are the most practical - a 20 gauge can be loaded with rubber balls, slugs, and any of a number of other things, lethal or not.

Handguns are convenient.

The laws are the same as a car.

Bob

Thanks for the ideas. I also thought about theft, although I think the marina is pretty secure. I'll probably just put a revolver in a kit that I always take with me and not leave it on board.

I have an AR explorer a .22 that is a survival rifle. It is a compact rifle that the barrel fits inside the stock and is waterproof and it floats. Used to take that along when ever I sailed. I would say a good single action Ruger in S/S carried in a waterproof case also is an alternative. The Ruger is all stainless and you can shoot some Bo-Shield on it for added protection. Just remember when sailing the San juans don't go into Canada, they will take your guns away.Spad

AK-47 or an AR-15. + side arm. At least 500 rnds of mag'd ammo. Because if a fight happenes your already playing catchup, and you don't want to play that game with a six shot wheel gun.

But that's me. I choose weapons based on what I'd want if a fight happened and not what can I get away with because a fight probably wont happen.

A buddy and I were floating down a river in SE Washington, in a little 10 ft aluminum boat fishing for bass, when out of the tall weeds were were shot at with a shot gun. Two shots rang out and we knew they were in our direction from the pellets hitting the water around us. Completely unprovoked and still to this day, we never saw them or why we were shot at.

Wish I had a gun that day, but the likelihood of tipping that boat was pretty high, especially on the rapid section of the river.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top