JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I Applied to be a sheriff reserve and i was told I would be contacted when i could take the first test, which from what im told is just a test to pretty much see how intelligent you are, and if you pass that you go in front of panel of people and they ask you a series of questions and if you pass that you go on to the next step and so on... I know there are a few officers on here and I was hoping i could squeeze a bit of advice out of you:eek: or anyone else who has been through this process!! I am told that this interview process is the same that a police officer has to go through when he/she applies for a job, So any information would be awesome! thanks!

Be on time, dress in a suit or shirt/tie/slacks minimum.

Give honest answers and stand your ground on your decisions. You may be technically wrong but if you can articulate your reasoning and stand firm it will go a lot better than letting them sway you into recanting.

When they ask you "what would you do is your partner did 'this and that' which is illegal, what would you do?" Make sure you have thought of that stuff already and always answer with integrity.

And you only smoked dope a few times (unless you have a drug bust in the past) and that was in high school... right!?

Also, you never make ethical jokes even with your Mexican friends, even if they started it, you think it is a bad idea and would choose to error on the side of caution concerning PR issues.

If you don't have a spotless criminal record for the past 10 years, don't bother.

Oh, and all the normal stuff... eye contact (don't mad dog) and speak up. Don't try to befriend the interviewers either.

Your department may do polygraph testing, so plan on having your answers come up again in a later phase. Don't set yourself up with false answers in the early stages.

Expect some real-world scenario story problems that evaluate your ability to discern shoot-no shoot reactions.

How far away can you read a license plate as a car drives away from you?

My information is about 7 years old so take it for what it's worth.

Moving violations/traffic infractions shouldn't hold you back. However; they will look at EVERYTHING including your credit report and friends. I think I had to provide 12 references that were not family.

I also had to document EVERY police encounter in detail.

If you're not in shape then start a program now heavy on cardio. The final test isn't bad but academy will be much more pleasant if you can run a mile or two without falling over.

Be prepared to invest $300-$500 on gear. Portland required us to supply our own boots, cuffs, vest and BDU's.

Any scenarios they give you in the interview be sure to say that you take cover/aware of surroundings

The key to learning law is to know the definitions. Look for key terms like concealed, possession, public building etc. Know what they mean in the context of the law.

It's good stuff. It will give you a whole new perspective on what the police face on a daily basis.

They only require three references on there's, unless they ask for more later on.

But my credit is a lil screwed since i filed bankruptcy beginning of last year.

What does the written exam consist of?

We had two law tests. If I recall they were multiple guess and maybe a few short answer.

There was a psych exam. I think that was scantron.

Plus the interview.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top