Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What to do with an old water heater?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Modeler, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Hi all,

I recently replaced my water heater, and now I'm left with an old (leaky) 40 gallon electric water heater. I know there's gotta be something cool I can do with it, but I'm not sure what.

My ideas so far:

BBQ?
    Smoker?

We live on 5 acres, but don't have any livestock so a watering trough really isn't of much use.

Any thoughts?

2. Zepoll

Zepoll Keizer Active Member

Friend of mine cut theirs in half and welded some legs on it as well as put some vent holes in it and uses them for burning pits at their riverside property. They work great because they don't burn out like steel barrels do.

3. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

Shoot it, then scrap it?

4. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

Biodiesel production line

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  5. rdt

rdt SW Portland Active Member

6. davemata

davemata Spokane, WA Well-Known Member

Smoker.

7. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

Turn it into one huge suppressor? roflmao.gif

8. James 61

James 61 Clark Co Washington Member

I was thinking of something along the lines of what mythbusters have done with hot water heaters in the past. Boiler for a steam powered gun, rocket, etc...

9. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

It should be remembered that it leaks water, and so probably isn't a good candidate for anything requiring it to be airtight or hold pressure. I'd like to make a smoker out of it if I can figure out how, a friend of mine made a smoker out of a filing cabinet so he could probably help me make a smoker out of this, right?

Another thought I had was a firebox for an as-yet unbuilt hot tub. I was thinking of putting a door in one end and the flue in the other (with the tank horizontal) and wrapping it with copper pipe to absorb the heat and transfer it to the water. Just a thought I had....

Greg

10. receo

receo Sandy, Oregon Active Member

What your looking to build is a still.

gehrheart and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

My father-in-law built an outside shower out of an old water heater on his property in the woods. He built a 8'x8' wood platform with a 6' high wooden fence around it for privacy. He placed the water heater on a custom steel stand he made approximately 6' high by it. He plumbed in a basic water cut off valve and a shower hose & head combination. If I remember right he plumbed in a way to put water in the tank, a pressure valve and a pressure pop-off valve. He painted the tank and stand black so it would conduct heat from the sun. I never used it but he said it worked just fine. He could add cold water to cool the water down if needed.

There is an idea. :D

12. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Tannerite container?

xd45acp and (deleted member) like this.
  13. jib

jib Central OR Active Member

Thats what I was thinkin, give yourself a 500 yard cushion and shoot it with a 50 BMG.

14. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

I knew a guy who converted his old water heater into a gun safe of sorts. He set it up so it had fake plumbing running to it - set up next to his other functional water heater so it looked like a dual tank system. He kept all of his rare/expensive stuff in the water heater and the common stuff that could be easily replaced in the safe as it was more likely to be stolen than the water heater...

15. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

Fix the leaks and make a really big bobber. :sailor: