JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would absolutely prefer to do tankless. Problem is that when they first came out years and years ago, I convinced my wife that we should get one. House was 100% electric.

She never has paid bills, so while I would try to show her that we were in fact saving money, she just never believed it. And, again relatively new technology combined with a lower end unit ... we ended up having a problem where one of the inner tanks burst and was shooting scalding water all over the utility area. Electric panel was right next to it, and the whole house shut off valve so I couldn't get in to turn it off. Had to call Electric company for them to come out and emergency shut off the whole house just so I could get into the room to turn water off.

That event is all she remembers about it and she swears we'll never have another tankless.
How many people in your household?

That one looks solid. Generally but not always you will see some evidence of rust around the bottom somewhere. WH are super easy to replace yourself, that one I would assume is original since it looks like it's hard plumbed in without any flexible supply lines So you may have to cut into those copper lines and push on a shark bite fitting over the copper with a thread end So your new supply lines have something to screw to. You should also add an earthquake strap and an insulation blanket.

An insulation blanket can make a water heater (in a heated basement) trap sweat and form rust on the exterior of the water jacket.

It is best to use smooth jaw wrenches and pliers...so that you don't damage fittings. This fitting is fine, but if there was a galvanic corrosion problem, this would be the most likely point of failure.
ui_tips.png

You may also want to clean the water heater flue..it is often overlooked.

Last Edited:
If Omaha is far enough away for them to not hear your plumbing profanity. PP is a distinct dialect ... :D
It will also keep you from feeling rushed.

To be clear though... I still advocate for waiting for decent weather. Cold of winter is not the best time to shut off the water.
I usually stay out of these types of threads because...well Googlie has replaced most of what use to be the Elder's knowledge.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top