JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you can truly seal it air tight then why not just fill the tube with Argon? It inert and once you cap it off no air or moisture can enter.
Indeed. But what is "it"? It must be understood that the whole earth "moves", let alone roots that grow through stone.. etc. It's not like you've laid something upon a magical stasis pillow.

Roots grow thru cracks in stone.If you don't leave any cracks the roots won't grow thru it will it?
The earth moves under my feet,sorry,thing,if you were to bed 'it' with sand and maybe some weed killer? then you would cut down on breakage and roots.
Now if there is a earthquake,well,all bets are off.
The rice idea could work if you just wrapped the gun in saran wrap to keep the rice off the gun,then seal a meal the gun,then PVC with argon.
Don't forget oxygen absorbers for just in case.

Remove the stock and vacuum seal it separate from the barreled receiver . Coat all metal parts in cosmoline, and vacuum seal. Same goes for any ammo you store with it. Vacuum seal it!

I tested this method on my property over near Silver Lake. Bought a cheap M44, sealed it all up and stashed it behind the old pump house for 10 years. It was only buried about 2 feet. I dug it up about every 2 years...Yep all good!
This reminds me...its been more than 10 years....and I need to remember to dig it up! I will take some photos of it all to!

I forgot, size large pvc tube...RTV silicon around the seams on the caps.

Last Edited:
This is one of those questions with a lot of answers that can fit multiple scenarios.

A situation that would require a law-abiding citizen to cache firearms & ammo might be a looming post-constitutional America; a horrific-scenario that would negate so many considerations to include (but not limited to) the need to be legal, the need to preserve the cache for financial, affectionate, asthetic, or historical reasons, or even the desire to enjoy the regular use and maintenance of the cache.....so if a good gun safe won't suffice, there a few imperatives to consider/ follow.

Has to stay Hidden
Has to stay Accessible
Has to stay Dry
Has to stay Operational
Has to stay with Ammo

There are already a lot of good ideas dotted in this thread....find one that fits your scenario.

BTW, don't overlook local security; survailing the cache for at least 24 hours before exposing it is also an imperative....:s0131:

I have seen rifles that were greased and wrapped in blankets then stored in an attic, unfortunately the blankets absorbed the grease in the summer months and the roof leaked saturating the blankets in the winter. Some of the rifles were still functional but all were very rusty.

I have found that a good quality enamel paint, applied and cured as directed, is an excellent protective coating, (As are the commercial coatings advertised on this site).
paint all metal/wood surfaces, grease the chamber/bore w/petroleum jelly or axle grease. wrap in plastic or place in tube

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top