Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What to coat guns with for long term cache

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Bushman, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Bushman

Bushman Auburn, WA Well-Known Member

PVC pipe is the usual recommendation right? What do you coat the firearms with? Especially those with polymer frames such as Glocks, XD's, and those with plastic furniture.

I've heard wheel bearing axle grease is perfect for long term storage, but will it hurt the polymer frame and plastic furniture?

Do you have to seal in a mylar bag? Why not a contractor grade trash bag with a gun that is packed with grease everywhere, all over. Easy to retrieve from the pipe and check.

If I remove moisture and oxygen, I should be golden. So I would go below the frost line as my first line, a pvc pipe sealed at both ends as my second, the contractor bag with a gun packed with axle grease and some oxygen absorbers in the pvc tube for good measure. Should I expect rust with this method?

What about magazines and their steel springs? How do you prep those? What about ammo? I've heard dessicant is used widely, but once they are full they need to be replaced or dried out. As such I like the oxygen absorber idea.

Where do you bury? Tough to do in a suburban park with some giant tube. Then again the mountains are far away. The primary thing I would be protecting against is thieves, so I could do it on my own property, but again, living in the burbs with neighbors windows in clear view, not exactly a clandestine operation...

Thoughts? Risks? Better options?

2. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

get a drum of that cosmoline, heat it up until it's liquid and drop in your firearms. Let the drum cool then dig them out. At least that's what is looks like they did with all the eastern-block surplus I've bought over the years and some of that was made pre-1899 and still in fine shape.:s0112:

personally, I'd say if you think it's time to bury your weapons it is actually time to dig them up. :s0003:

3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

U201491 likes this.
  4. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

If I was going to bury long term, quantity over quality would be my plan. Better to have multiple hiding spots with 4 or 5 cheap 2nd hand HI-Points than 1 or two spots with your ideal shtf gun.

Want to bury in the back yard without Mrs. Kravitz seeing that you are hiding something?

I guess if your neighbor is that nosey you could set up a tent or some other ruse like a main line water leak.

slimer13 likes this.
  5. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Grease and marine (boat) spray.
    If I had the patience I would use wax for the exterior, however the removal process is a PITA. So I do grease and the waxy type spray.

It holds up very well. Keep a jug of mineral spirits as well as a few rags to clean them up when you finally pull them out of the cache

6. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

Pvc pipe filled with oil. Bury below frost line.you can open pipe pull gun, wipe down and it is ready to use after loading.

7. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I've heard that some choose to bury along railroad tracks.. I guess off in the weeds a bit.
    They have good landmarks/markings and they're not likely to build a walmart on an active line. lol

Don't do this.. even with a red ice scraper as a marker..

ichhnw&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

Charliehorse and v0lcom13sn0w like this.
  8. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Most plastics don't fare well when saturated with oil continually.

Barefoot African likes this.
  9. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

What will that drone loitering 5000ft above your head think you are doing :)

10. Certaindeaf

Shakin' it, boss!

notazombie and v0lcom13sn0w like this.
  11. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Clean the gun
    Coat all metal parts and bore with CLP
    Bag it
    Pack un-cooked rice around the bag in the pipe
    Seal the pipe

Rice absorbs moisture.

Caveman Jim and etrain16 like this.
  12. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

And when you dig it up you will have saki.

13. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Only in our pantry, Taku!

An old double paned window was fogging up
    I unframed it and lined the bottom with 1/4" of rice.
    Dry for 30 years now

Caveman Jim, U201491 and etrain16 like this.
  14. Certaindeaf

If it's an AK, I think you can just bury it in the creek mud for thirty years. Barring that, I think they make guns in stainless. lol

15. MrNatural

MrNatural Oregon Well-Known Member

Brownell's sells thick plastic bags impregnated with VPI inside, specifically for long-term storage. Heat sealed with a couple packets of desiccant inside, they work very, very well.

No grease or oil needed. The gun is ready to use the moment you retrieve it, which may be needful. Also good since many wooden items tend to react badly to oils long-term.

Also google around for Special Forces cache techniques. Tried and proven techniques. The green beanies used to be about guerilla warfare and caching was integral to their operations.

16. Boat Captain

Boat Captain seattle New Member

What about Boeshield. It penetrates, leaves a waxy but easily cleaned protective residue, doesn't seem to harm anything even sensitive electronics, and its protective effects seem to last for a very long time even exposed to the elements. I would imagine it would protect something sealed and protected for a lot longer than you would need.

17. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

that fargo show is comin back on soon IIRC!

Caveman Jim and albin25 like this.
  18. albin25

albin25 Lewiston Idaho Well-Known Member

I've never given caching much thought or research so I'm a noob, but it seems like burying could be problematic should you need to dug up your guns in the winter. plus just being in the dirt with it's constant damp, acid/, organic compounds, etc...
    Are there particular problems associated with an above ground cache? ie; fake fence posts, in a rock pile, grainery, small town mausoleum?

OLDNEWBIE likes this.
  19. ocarolan

ocarolan Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

Remember the sealed PVC pipe will be watertight, and hence "float" in the substrate you bury in. This means eventually seasonal ground water can push the capsule to the surface.

Cachers have even reported this happening already, see survivalblog. IIRC one guy buried a pvc tube vertically in a city park and found it had started emerging after a year, with a typical water table. Maybe one solution is bury it under something heavy, like a dead tree, or layer plywood on top.

OLDNEWBIE likes this.
  20. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

I'd hate to deal with the legalities of my buried weapon being found.

If I was going to do this it would be on my property or far out in the middle of nowhere.
    I also wouldn't want to use a post sb-941 purchase for this unless it was on my land.

Oathkeeper1775 and albin25 like this.