JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
PVC pipe is the usual recommendation right? What do you coat the firearms with? Especially those with polymer frames such as Glocks, XD's, and those with plastic furniture.

I've heard wheel bearing axle grease is perfect for long term storage, but will it hurt the polymer frame and plastic furniture?

Do you have to seal in a mylar bag? Why not a contractor grade trash bag with a gun that is packed with grease everywhere, all over. Easy to retrieve from the pipe and check.

If I remove moisture and oxygen, I should be golden. So I would go below the frost line as my first line, a pvc pipe sealed at both ends as my second, the contractor bag with a gun packed with axle grease and some oxygen absorbers in the pvc tube for good measure. Should I expect rust with this method?

What about magazines and their steel springs? How do you prep those? What about ammo? I've heard dessicant is used widely, but once they are full they need to be replaced or dried out. As such I like the oxygen absorber idea.

Where do you bury? Tough to do in a suburban park with some giant tube. Then again the mountains are far away. The primary thing I would be protecting against is thieves, so I could do it on my own property, but again, living in the burbs with neighbors windows in clear view, not exactly a clandestine operation...

Thoughts? Risks? Better options?

get a drum of that cosmoline, heat it up until it's liquid and drop in your firearms. Let the drum cool then dig them out. At least that's what is looks like they did with all the eastern-block surplus I've bought over the years and some of that was made pre-1899 and still in fine shape.:s0112:

personally, I'd say if you think it's time to bury your weapons it is actually time to dig them up. :s0003:

If I was going to bury long term, quantity over quality would be my plan. Better to have multiple hiding spots with 4 or 5 cheap 2nd hand HI-Points than 1 or two spots with your ideal shtf gun.

Want to bury in the back yard without Mrs. Kravitz seeing that you are hiding something?

I guess if your neighbor is that nosey you could set up a tent or some other ruse like a main line water leak.

Grease and marine (boat) spray.
If I had the patience I would use wax for the exterior, however the removal process is a PITA. So I do grease and the waxy type spray.

It holds up very well. Keep a jug of mineral spirits as well as a few rags to clean them up when you finally pull them out of the cache

I've heard that some choose to bury along railroad tracks.. I guess off in the weeds a bit.
They have good landmarks/markings and they're not likely to build a walmart on an active line. lol

Don't do this.. even with a red ice scraper as a marker..

ichhnw&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

Brownell's sells thick plastic bags impregnated with VPI inside, specifically for long-term storage. Heat sealed with a couple packets of desiccant inside, they work very, very well.

No grease or oil needed. The gun is ready to use the moment you retrieve it, which may be needful. Also good since many wooden items tend to react badly to oils long-term.

Also google around for Special Forces cache techniques. Tried and proven techniques. The green beanies used to be about guerilla warfare and caching was integral to their operations.

What about Boeshield. It penetrates, leaves a waxy but easily cleaned protective residue, doesn't seem to harm anything even sensitive electronics, and its protective effects seem to last for a very long time even exposed to the elements. I would imagine it would protect something sealed and protected for a lot longer than you would need.

I've never given caching much thought or research so I'm a noob, but it seems like burying could be problematic should you need to dug up your guns in the winter. plus just being in the dirt with it's constant damp, acid/, organic compounds, etc...
Are there particular problems associated with an above ground cache? ie; fake fence posts, in a rock pile, grainery, small town mausoleum?

PVC pipe is the usual recommendation right? What do you coat the firearms with? Especially those with polymer frames such as Glocks, XD's, and those with plastic furniture.

Remember the sealed PVC pipe will be watertight, and hence "float" in the substrate you bury in. This means eventually seasonal ground water can push the capsule to the surface.

Cachers have even reported this happening already, see survivalblog. IIRC one guy buried a pvc tube vertically in a city park and found it had started emerging after a year, with a typical water table. Maybe one solution is bury it under something heavy, like a dead tree, or layer plywood on top.

I'd hate to deal with the legalities of my buried weapon being found.

If I was going to do this it would be on my property or far out in the middle of nowhere.
I also wouldn't want to use a post sb-941 purchase for this unless it was on my land.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top