JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am getting close to making a decision on what I am going to buy for a concealed. I am down to Glock Gen 4 G27, Springfield XD(m) 3.8 .40, and FN FNX-40. I like the feel of all of them. I just wanted to get some more opinions on which others would prefer and why...or why not. This isn't going to be an all day, every day carry. Not allowed at work. I'm even considering a full size in the Springfield...maybe.
Thank you all for any input you have!

Good morning,
Very good choices. I prefer the Glock 27 over all with the choices given. It is compact, lightweight, easy to shoot, and offers good magazine capacity. I carry my Glock 27 when hiking, boating and other outdoor recreation in an IWB holster, and a fanny pack. You know its there when you need it, but does not bother you to carry. It is a good shooter for being a small pistol in the .40 S&W. It is a great companion, or back up for it's bigger brother's; the Glock 22, Glock 23 and Glock 35. Even for concealed carry, I prefer the Glock 22 over the 23 because I can get a really good grip on the pistol.
If you go with the Glock 27, consider a magazine finger extension for a better grip. Not so much for the one round capacity increase, but for a good grip on the pistol when firing.
Good luck with your choice,
M-

I went with the XDm 3.8c myself- comes with full length mag for when size isn't very important and you want the full length grip, and comes with the shorter mag for cc. If you don't like your pinkie wagging in the breeze with the shorter mag a $6.00 baseplate gives you that tiny extra grip. Very good shooter- plenty accurate and dead reliable. You can't really go wrong with any of the choices listed, but I prefer the flexibility of the XDm (compact/short mag or full size grip/long mag)

It's a wonder anyone who would choose a glock over an fn, can actually use a computer.

Well that is a matter of opinion. I am not going to take any statements personal. The forum member asked for an opinion, and I gave mine. If any other forum member would like to give positive input, that is what the forum is for. I like a lot of firearms, and the Glock is a proven, dependable, and effective handgun.
Good luck with your choices, all the models will get the job done.
M-

It's a wonder anyone who would choose a glock over an fn, can actually use a computer.
And yet YOU were able to type that? Or have someone else?

I got rid of the FN because the trigger was terrible long.The glock trigger is much better,in my opinion

And I personally respect the fact that other's hands don't fit the glock,but I don't call them name or make stupid statements about them. Except in your case
Everyone is different.Many different guns out there because every engineer is different.They see a gun different
So lets grow up and tell us pertinent information about why we like the guns,not act like we are 12 and call names
Yeah?

I'm a 1911 guy but, just bought a glock 27. Lovin it. Shooting it is a dream. Good groups the first 100 rounds. I am using a glock 23 mag in it for EDC but, as mentioned, with it's factory mag, you can hide it damn near anywhere. Also, conversion barrels make for cheap 9mm plinking.

If I want a 1911 grip angle, I have 1911s for that.

everyone is different. I had a Glock 27, and absolutely hated everything about it. I shot it well, but hated the way it felt, trigger pull, etc. its like someone carved a gun from a 2x4

Well I have had the chance to shoot all three except the FN I shot was not a compact but a 4 in barrel model. Not sure if you’re talking compact or not.

All three are of the same quality, reliability and would make a good choice but like most I have my favorite.

Of the 3 you listed I like the XDM 3.8 over the other two as it fits my style and hand better but if you would have said the Glock 23 instead of the 27 that would have been my preference and first choice.

Most folks add the 2 round finger extension to the 27 which puts you at the same grip size/profile as the 23 and to me the 23 is a more comfortable fit in my hand.

The FN is great but I don’t like the external safety and the first round double action trigger pull. I guess I am to accustom to the striker fire trigger pull to go back to a double/single hammer system. Also magazines are harder to find and seem to be more expensive in my area than the other two.

The XDM and Glock are equal as far as add on items, accessories and pricing so either would do you well. Magazines for both are easy to get in my area but I do like the optional factory 22 rounder (in 40 S&W) for the Glock. Just in case you might need it.

You have to look at this way since all three will equally do the job you need to look at it like buying a pair of shoes, you need to find the pair that fits you and your hand the best and go with it.

All three are good so whatever you get just enjoy it.

everyone is different. I had a Glock 27, and absolutely hated everything about it. I shot it well, but hated the way it felt, trigger pull, etc. its like someone carved a gun from a 2x4

Well I have had the chance to shoot all three except the FN I shot was not a compact but a 4 in barrel model. Not sure if you're talking compact or not.

All three are of the same quality, reliability and would make a good choice but like most I have my favorite.

Of the 3 you listed I like the XDM 3.8 over the other two as it fits my style and hand better but if you would have said the Glock 23 instead of the 27 that would have been my preference and first choice.

Most folks add the 2 round finger extension to the 27 which puts you at the same grip size/profile as the 23 and to me the 23 is a more comfortable fit in my hand.

The FN is great but I don't like the external safety and the first round double action trigger pull. I guess I am to accustom to the striker fire trigger pull to go back to a double/single hammer system. Also magazines are harder to find and seem to be more expensive in my area than the other two.

The XDM and Glock are equal as far as add on items, accessories and pricing so either would do you well. Magazines for both are easy to get in my area but I do like the optional factory 22 rounder (in 40 S&W) for the Glock. Just in case you might need it.

You have to look at this way since all three will equally do the job you need to look at it like buying a pair of shoes, you need to find the pair that fits you and your hand the best and go with it.

All three are good so whatever you get just enjoy it.

2x4gun, made me think of the movie 'the other guys"

And they may a .30rounder for the xd, my dad owns 2 of them. Probally promag or something but do you really need to be able to fit an entire box orf rounds into 2 magazines? I can see a glock 18 needing a high cap magazine or the beretta M93R, but a daily carry piece? And a range weapon? Concealment looks odd, I will see if I can find the pic of the high cap magazine in my XD in my belt. I find my 19round xdm mage to be almost over kill, my S&W is an 11+1 set up, and I carry another 11 in the spare on my hip, I don't forsee an extended battle in my future on the street

And not trying to bust your balls on thie either, just my thoughts.

Last Edited:
Yeah so what if it was a 2X4 in another life?

There is a reason that the XDs have taken about half of glocks's sales.They fit a lot of people well.And the 45 I shot was very accurate.
My kid loves his,but is thinking of getting a M&P.Seems to like that one the best now,and he was raised on Glocks.

Now as far as the 30 rounders? I was talking to a guy from Israel,who fought in Beirut,about how I would grab my AR if I needed 30 rounds.He said that his biggest fear in Beirut was running out of ammo and the 30roundes were a necessity.
So I bought 2.Probably never need them,but I got 'em just in case

Remember,zombies always run in packs.

Yeah so what if it was a 2X4 in another life?

There is a reason that the XDs have taken about half of glocks's sales.They fit a lot of people well.And the 45 I shot was very accurate.
My kid loves his,but is thinking of getting a M&P.Seems to like that one the best now,and he was raised on Glocks.

Now as far as the 30 rounders? I was talking to a guy from Israel,who fought in Beirut,about how I would grab my AR if I needed 30 rounds.He said that his biggest fear in Beirut was running out of ammo and the 30roundes were a necessity.
So I bought 2.Probably never need them,but I got 'em just in case

Remember,zombies always run in packs.
a pistol is to fight back to the rifle you should have never dropped... but I get what you are saying

Have all 3, why not buy any one you feel gives you value for the money. Shoot often, and learn to hit where you point.. The Glocks have been a leader for many years now. XD's have a following that is hard to convert, and the FN has been a choice in Europe now here in USA for many a year. Thus it's really not a popularity contest. It comes to shootablity for you, then practice.
They all are worthy pieces. just my .02c

40cal EMT
And they make a .30rounder for the xd, my dad owns 2 of them. Probally promag or something but do you really need to be able to fit an entire box orf rounds into 2 magazines? I can see a glock 18 needing a high cap magazine or the beretta M93R, but a daily carry piece? And a range weapon? Concealment looks odd, I will see if I can find the pic of the high cap magazine in my XD in my belt. I find my 19round xdm mage to be almost over kill, my S&W is an 11+1 set up, and I carry another 11 in the spare on my hip, I don't forsee an extended battle in my future on the street"

You mean you do not carry 3 22rd 40 S&W mags or if you do the G19 9mm like I do 3 30 rd mags in a ankle holster just incase of a ZOMBIE attack. Man am I the only one prepared or what?

Just kidding I still like to have fun at the range and 22 rd in a 40 compact or 33rd mags in my G19 just has that cool factor.

Have a great day

Ok, so today, I placed my hands on a Glock23 gen4, all the blocky grips issues that up until now I've disliked, have been resolved other than the grip angle, but it seems acceptible, as a matter of fact a person who owes me $800, handed me the pistol, and at roughly 570, I said give me the gun and I will will call it even. Brand new in the box, never been shot. I was ok since I knew id never see the money anyway, so my issue with gen1_3 are still there, but gen4, I will call it much improved.

And I was joking with my dad about needing some high cap magazines, glock suposidly now has a 30+ .40cal

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top