JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm going to go and lock up all of my 22 just in case it decides to turn on me - ammo cans may not be enough protection. Thankfully my center fire ammo has never even looked at me funny :rolleyes: so I'll leave them in their ammo cans.

bubblegum! o_O

I call massive B.S., including by the LE's that are saying this is what happens when you handle ammo. I'd like to know, in reality, how many rounds of ammo spontaneously go off every year. I'll bet it's close to zero. Think about how many thousands, millions of rounds of ammo get dropped, set in the sun, left in hot cars, carried by troops in conditions far worse than most of us will ever experience, and nothing happens. It may not be impossible, but it's highly, highly unlikely.

There had to be something else going on here.

I'm going to go and lock up all of my 22 just in case it decides to turn on me - ammo cans may not be enough protection. Thankfully my center fire ammo has never even looked at me funny :rolleyes: so I'll leave them in their ammo cans.

Well centerfire rounds are known to be more moderate than those extremists rounds that hang out on the outer rim of ammo society.

:D

The bullet outweighs the case and the powder. If ignited and nothing is holding the case, the case will leave the vicinity with much more speed than the bullet.
I, too, wonder exactly what happened.

He was probably smacking it with his hash-pipe and/or Birkenstock sandals.... maybe the brass ring he ties his old gray ponytail with... to protest the 2A. :D
You may not be far off the mark. The flat base of a .22 would work great for tamping down a bowl of BC bud

When I was about 6 years old, I took some .45 ACP cartridges and chopped them in half with a hatchet to get the gunpowder to make fireworks. Nothing happened.

When I was about 6, I found a box of 7mm Mauser cartridges in a box in the garage. I had recently learned that roll caps make a bigger bang when instead of using them one at a time in a cap gun, you pound the whole roll with a hammer. I figured these would make an even bigger bang when treated the same way. Indeed they did.

I think back on that and cringe -- I blew a few up with a hammer and cut some others open using a vice and hacksaw to get the powder. The only ill effect I suffered was some probable hearing damage but still -- I shudder thinking of it now. Kids and ammo don't mix without training and supervision, that's a certainty.

As for the story here, there's no way it just spontaneously went off in his hand, avoided all the fleshy bits in his hand, and hit him in the face.

bubblegum! o_O

I call massive B.S., including by the LE's that are saying this is what happens when you handle ammo. I'd like to know, in reality, how many rounds of ammo spontaneously go off every year. I'll bet it's close to zero. Think about how many thousands, millions of rounds of ammo get dropped, set in the sun, left in hot cars, carried by troops in conditions far worse than most of us will ever experience, and nothing happens. It may not be impossible, but it's highly, highly unlikely.

There had to be something else going on here.

Thinking same thing when I read this. BULL SH*T. When kids we used to play with ammo we pilfered from parents all the damn time. It was a real boring let down. Tossed in a fire it does nothing. You hear the primmer ignite and some sparks. Smokeless powder does not have explosive qualities until it's under pressure. This clown did something he did not want to admit so he made this up. The only time we had any real fun was when we unknowingly got a hold of some 45 Colt rounds loaded with Black. Now those we could have gotten hurt with.

When I was about 6, I found a box of 7mm Mauser cartridges in a box in the garage. I had recently learned that roll caps make a bigger bang when instead of using them one at a time in a cap gun, you pound the whole roll with a hammer. I figured these would make an even bigger bang when treated the same way. Indeed they did.

I think back on that and cringe -- I blew a few up with a hammer and cut some others open using a vice and hacksaw to get the powder. The only ill effect I suffered was some probable hearing damage but still -- I shudder thinking of it now. Kids and ammo don't mix without training and supervision, that's a certainty.

As for the story here, there's no way it just spontaneously went off in his hand, avoided all the fleshy bits in his hand, and hit him in the face.

DUDE!!! Your guardian angel and the 2/3rd string team ALL had to retire their jerseys because of YOU!! :eek:

I've held thousands of rounds in my hands and never had one go off.

Something is missing from this story.

When I was about 6 years old, I took some .45 ACP cartridges and chopped them in half with a hatchet to get the gunpowder to make fireworks. Nothing happened.

The Eugene Police Department is using this incident to warn parents that they need to lock up their ammunition, and keep it out of the hands of children.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top