JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I was a kid we would take 22 shells and lay them on a, ya know, probably shouldn't say exactly what I, errr, I mean, we did. Contrary what was expected, we never found an empty shell. Sometimes we found a bullet a few feet away. it was always pretty smashed up.:D

But its sure not a cautionary story about handling ammo. Its just another bizarre story out of Eugene.

This.

from the article .... " they tell parents to keep ammunition out of the hands of kids, 'cause things can happen," said Sgt. Dale Dawson. Police did ... say he is in his 60s.

I finally watched the video:

"... holding a bullet in his hand when it discharged ..."
"... police say they're not sure how the .22 caliber bullet went off ..."
"... if you hit the back of a bullet hard enough, without a firearm, it has the potential of discharging ..."

The only thing I've ever managed to get a bullet to do when I hit it hard, is smush.

I finally watched the video:

"... holding a bullet in his hand when it discharged ..."
"... police say they're not sure how the .22 caliber bullet went off ..."
"... if you hit the back of a bullet hard enough, without a firearm, it has the potential of discharging ..."

The only thing I've ever managed to get a bullet to do when I hit it hard, is smush.
When we were kids, we would tape a .22 round to the end of our BB guns and fire them. It was fun until we did it at night one time and saw that the bullets went everywhere except where we were pointing them.

May not have been the brightest kids but we definitely had good imaginations.

Who wants to bet it was a hangfire they ejected then when it was picked up it went zippo... pow and kablamo..?

I like the way the cop said that "this is what happens when people handle ammunition and they shouldn't be"?. I guess he didn't have his ammunition handling permit?.
I'm considering writing a letter to EPD about this and asking for their officers ammunition handling certifications to make sure their officers set the bar high.

I mean never mind the fact I just handled 250+ rounds tonight on the progressive press and not a single facial explosion.

Actually. When I was about 11-12 the neighbor kid and I chopped a .22LR shell in half with a grub hoe. One end of it went about 1/2" into a Doug fir tree about 3ft away the other end bounced off the left rear tire of his dads pickup. so it is very possible for a .22LR round to travel in a straight line hard enough to hit someone in the face without a firearm involved of course in our case it did require a rock and a grub hoe.

The only possible way I can see this story happening is if the guy either used some sort of tool (like pliers or vise grips) to set off the primer or if he threw it on the ground and that one in a million chance it would hit just right to compress the primer in the rim then ignited the powder.

But its sure not a cautionary story about handling ammo. Its just another bizarre story out of Eugene.
Only took me like 10 times to set off a .22 round by throwing it on the ground when I was a kid... guess I got lucky in both ways... especially considering there was 5 of us surrounding the thing and nobody got hit. I'd say that was one in a million odds.

This guy getting hit, had to be he was doing something... maybe it was a home load and he used some crude nitroglycerin instead of powder.

I fired my trusty Red Ryder at the back of a 12GA. cartridge "one time". The primer blew out when it went off
and I heard it hit the wall behind me.:eek:

Another DUMB thing I got away with.:rolleyes:
From what I hear, you're supposed to tape the BB to a primer on the round and then throw it straight up before you run like the dickens.
DO NOT TRY AT HOME KIDS

We did some stupid things w ammo as kids as well. Very stupid.

We would empty the shot from a 12ga ,tape a wood screw over the primer and tape a paper plane body to the rear and throw them up in the air and the explode when they hit the ground. Some kids were leaving the shot in. A stupid thing that didn't last long and luckily no one was hurt.

And I also threw a .22 shell until it finally fired as a kid. It took many times but they can go off. :oops:

Packing down his hot bowl if weed, like others mentioned, seems like the most reasonable scenario so far. :eek:

I'm trying to figure out why this fella was standing on the side of the road with a .22 round. Does he regularly carry ammo in his pocket just in case he comes across an unloaded .22? If he was holding it to play with it, I'd suggest he invest in one of those trendy spinner toys that are SO popular now. I've heard you could choke on the bearings if you put them in your mouth to clean them off (what??? But that's what the spinnerchoking news story said...), but I think they're guaranteed not to shoot you in the face. Choose your toys wisely?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top